George Michael Forums

Go Back   George Michael Forums > George Michael > News

Old 23rd February 2017, 21:30
Pippy Pippy est déconnecté
Charlie's Angels

Thanked 30,098 Times in 14,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelfish View Post
Did he know George? I'm just wondering why it was him who was chosen.

I know he did some performances like a homeless shelter etc after he died, but to me, he just seems an odd choice vocally.
Pepsi said that George loved Chris Martin 's voice, that's the reason they chose him.and he really wanted to do it .

The Following User Says Thank You to Pippy For This Useful Post:
neko011 (24th February 2017)
Old 24th February 2017, 02:18
GMfan87' GMfan87' est déconnecté
Flawless

Thanked 1,139 Times in 581 Posts

More uplifting and made you feel good about George's accomplishments and memory
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GMfan87' For This Useful Post:
GMthx (19th April 2017), mare (24th February 2017)
Old 24th February 2017, 04:44
Angelfish Angelfish est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
I don't understand the point of Fadi's tweet. What does his love for George have to do with the Brits???
Perhaps nothing. But Fadi does follow Shirley and Martin kemp on Twitter. I think she's been one of the closest to GM in these last years still, and maybe she was around Fadi a lot and when it's an appropriate time may go to bat for him and talk about her friendship with George, and mention how he and Fadi were about each other.

Just a guess, that was the first thing I thought of as a possibility when I saw the tweet and was wondering wth it meant.
Old 24th February 2017, 13:11
mariasiv mariasiv est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisbeth View Post
I LOVED this tribute to GM at the Brit awards. Everything, from the spoken words of Andrew, Pepsi and Shirley to Chris Martins performance was beautiful. Loved the carefully chosen footage of GM in the background, with him joining in. The orchestra, the lighting... it was everything it should have been IMO. Well done Brits!
I agree. Andrew, Shirlie and Pepsi really made me cry. Andrew speaking later on the wait for closure really is heartbreaking. It is hard enough to be a fan and wait but my heart goes out to his father, sisters and extended family. So glad though they did this tribute. Beautiful job.
The Following User Says Thank You to mariasiv For This Useful Post:
liztay (24th February 2017)
Old 24th February 2017, 14:52
abreberi abreberi est déconnecté

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisbeth View Post
I LOVED this tribute to GM at the Brit awards. Everything, from the spoken words of Andrew, Pepsi and Shirley to Chris Martins performance was beautiful. Loved the carefully chosen footage of GM in the background, with him joining in. The orchestra, the lighting... it was everything it should have been IMO. Well done Brits!
Chris Martin was desaster!

Last edited by webmaster; 24th February 2017 at 15:01.. Reason: insult removed
Old 24th February 2017, 15:44
EmilyPost EmilyPost est déconnecté
#######

Thanked 25,863 Times in 7,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelfish View Post
Perhaps nothing. But Fadi does follow Shirley and Martin kemp on Twitter. I think she's been one of the closest to GM in these last years still, and maybe she was around Fadi a lot and when it's an appropriate time may go to bat for him and talk about her friendship with George, and mention how he and Fadi were about each other.

Just a guess, that was the first thing I thought of as a possibility when I saw the tweet and was wondering wth it meant.
It is highly unlikely that Shirley Kemp would ever say anything publicly about George's personal life.
Old 25th February 2017, 21:11
EmilyPost EmilyPost est déconnecté
#######

Thanked 25,863 Times in 7,342 Posts

https://mobile.twitter.com/ajridgele...45435602984960

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EmilyPost For This Useful Post:
LYDIA (26th February 2017), mare (4th March 2017), Nanabug (26th February 2017), Seba.GM (25th February 2017), webmaster (26th February 2017)
Old 26th February 2017, 20:54
Georgeforever Georgeforever est déconnecté
Flawless

The tribute by Andrew, Shirley and Pepsi was absolutely beautiful and heart-breaking. So respectful, so full of love. This is what true friendship is. It is great to know that George had such real, close friends in his life - this is a treasure for anyone's life.

As for Chris Martin: I have great respect for him as a musician. Coldplay create quality music. For example, "God put a smile upon your face" is one of my top favourite songs.

So I believe that Chris Martin is brilliant as a musician and songwriter - not as a vocalist. He has a gentle, slightly nasal, voice that is distinctive and I have associated it with great Coldplay songs.

However, for an emblematic George song like "A Different Corner", Chris's voice sounded bland to me. When George's voice was heard, the contrast became very clear. The video of George was beautiful and very touching - especially George saying "Hi, mum" and George at the end putting his hand over his ear in order to listen to the fans cheering - perfectly timed, as the audience at the Brits was cheering at the exact same time!

Chris's performance (though by no means bad) didn't touch me - whereas with Adele, I can still hear in my head her beautiful voice going one octave higher to say "I miss my baby" in such a heart-wrenching manner that was so haunting. The way that she sang it, the song was stripped bare of the fun-seeking element and it revealed a sensitive, aching soul who had gone through grief and was missing his baby. And it pointed out our own grief for George at the same time. It was beautifully thought out as a version and performance.

Nevertheless - as Andrew Ridgeley said - it is great to see that Chris Martin, a quality musician of a younger generation, appreciates George and paid tribute to him (and I must say that he did so with a lot of respect). This goes to show George's lasting legacy that defies time, like all great artists do.

George was honoured with respect by the Grammys and the Brits - on both sides of the Atlantic. This is what he deserved as an amazing musician and human being.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Georgeforever For This Useful Post:
KojiTaku (27th February 2017), LYDIA (26th February 2017), mare (4th March 2017), Natou (27th February 2017), RealLove (13th March 2017), snoopy (27th February 2017), Toto (26th February 2017), webmaster (26th February 2017)
Old 26th February 2017, 21:55
whisper~ whisper~ est déconnecté
¥ Feelgood Collector

Thanked 7,167 Times in 3,117 Posts

Beautiful Tribute to George ...lots of love in the room.
I enjoyed watching it ....Thank Youtube !
Old 3rd March 2017, 21:35
webmaster webmaster est déconnecté
Gold
Space Invaders Champion, Breakout Champion, Ice Age 1 - Scrat Jump Champion, Queens Jewels Champion, Happy Tree Friends: Dynamite Champion, Happy Tree Friends: Lumpy Artist Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion

Thanked 74,572 Times in 16,611 Posts

Old 4th March 2017, 00:40
jlb jlb est déconnecté
Star People

At the time, I thought the tribute at the Grammy's was the wrong song choice. I quite liked it at the time. It was heartfelt and the video imagery very touching. I just didn't think they song choice would reignite the memory in America that they made him the biggest star in the world in '88 and I'd hoped a song more known in the States would awake a sense of rememberance of what they'd missed and how they'd deserted him. However, since, I've listened to it a lot and whilst I think it will already he forgotten in American mainstream, for me the haunting arrangement, particularly the strings, has really moved me and I do think now that it was a very clever and appropriate tribute.

As for the Brits; following on from Adele who is either the biggest or 2nd biggest female star in the world, they picked another mega star, singer songwriter in chris Martin, who clearly had immense respect and admiration for George. Two massive stars. That was important. Chris struggled with "a different corner". To me, that didn't matter. In some ways, when George emerged on the video screen to help out it only emphasised his vocal genius in comparison and maybe that was someone's slight side intention? the expression on Chris's face at the end of the song as he turned to look at the video screen of George, made it clear that there was no competition in Chris's mind. His own contribution was heartfelt and it was brave of him to put himself alongside one of the best pop vocalists the world has ever seen. Respect to chris Martin for that. Two mega-stars, both George Michael fans without question. Both sincere and doing it for the right reasons. Both different and finally George himself doing a bit! David, you got it right !
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jlb For This Useful Post:
bettyblue (4th March 2017), GMfan87' (4th March 2017), mare (4th March 2017), qp65 (4th March 2017), Sami (4th March 2017), Seba.GM (4th March 2017), Shooting Star (4th March 2017), Toto (4th March 2017), Verena (4th March 2017)
Old 4th March 2017, 17:20
GMfan87' GMfan87' est déconnecté
Flawless

Thanked 1,139 Times in 581 Posts

I tried to rewatch Adele's tribute a few days ago and I couldn't get though it . It was still way too somber for me . I'm not as weepy but certain things get me still . I think about what my relationship was to George and his music and I never realized the connection I had with him , didn't expect i'd feel this level of grief over his passing . Didn't have MTV as a kid but heard Wham more at the end of their run and got heavily into listening to radio when he was coming out as a solo artist . When I heard Faith on radio it hooked me with its instant catchiness . When I saw the video developed a massive crush on George. Bought the cassette with all my change , ha. Listened to it constantly , but my access to seeing him besides some teen magazines was over my best friend's house or the weekend Kasey Kasem show . He didn't seem to do many interviews here . The person I remember when I did hear him speak was serious , assured and seemed to know exactly what he was doing career wise . I'll never forget watching Mandela concert , he looked so perfect , and sounded terrific . It opened my eyes to older music , it was bold of him not to do any of his hits. If you were my woman - sigh .. Such great vocals . Next I recall seeing premiere of Freedom 90' video and being very disappointed he wasn't in it , even though the video was quite good. I borrowed the cd of LWP and knew it was good but that it would take many listens to get in to, at the time I didn't grasp it at my age do I didn't purchase it . Then Sony case which he got much flak here in the states for and his side was not represented well here . I chose to believe he had to have good reason though . The Queen tribute.. His performance was simply the best one , I was proud that people would see just how good he was.Then I started to get in to the mixed CDs , remember those (?) and he was a part of that . Next I remember seeing Fastlove and being so surprised at how different he looked . At the time the music didn't grab me so I didn't seek it out. I continued though to be always glad to see him , like an old pal . I guess as you grow up you get in to different music and he wasn't doing much and the U.S. didnt cover him much anymore . When he started having his troubles so very publicly I winced and really felt for him . With the few car incidents we heard of I became worried something very bad would happen like most of us i'm sure . In 08' I was glad to see he was touring and thought of seeing him but prices were up and I had planned a Europe trip so I figured I'll see him another time .. I regret that and not sending him any letter of support . I had seen his heartbreaking interview after the pneumonia much later , given lack of attention paid him here , wish I knew before . Once You Tube became big I started seeking out those old live performances I loved , cherished . It is so wonderful to have those . I apologize for the length of this post I suppose I'm thinking out loud and thankful I have a forum in which to do it . I went back and read pretty much every post to the awful news and I cried , it was fresh to me , going back . The night I heard I was busy with the holiday of course and I just had a shocked , numb reaction . I heard my brother say "your boyfriend " , he remembered ☺️ It wasn't till two days later that I listened to One More Try and when he turned to face you in the video I cried very hard . I'm so sorry for the way his life turned out . I wish we had more music and that might of kept him going . Poor sweet soul .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GMfan87' For This Useful Post:
mare (5th March 2017), neko011 (5th March 2017)