George Michael Forums

Go Back   George Michael Forums > George Michael > News

Old 18th August 2016, 10:38
bluegangsta bluegangsta est déconnecté
Young Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysandangels View Post
I still think an LWP remaster/boxed-set was probably originally planned for last year (25th anniversary) rather than this year - a 26th anniversary project is just odd.
Perhaps it's not going to be promoted as an anniversary release? Like Faith, which was reissued 24 years after it's initial release.

Thriller 25 was released in the year following the actual 25th anniversary.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluegangsta For This Useful Post:
Angelfish (18th August 2016), cowboysandangels (18th August 2016)
Old 18th August 2016, 11:32
Angelfish Angelfish est déconnecté
Flawless

Just as long as it's released soon I'm happy.

That album is an absolute masterpiece as far as I'm concerned.

I can't believe how underrated it was, at least in the US.

I was only ten when it came out, and loved freedom 90, but that's the only song I even heard on the radio from it.

When I was older and heard the whole thing, I was shocked.

No one else I am aware of was making music like that in 90.

Last edited by Angelfish; 18th August 2016 at 22:19..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Angelfish For This Useful Post:
HSL (18th August 2016), pas1974 (18th August 2016), Sami (18th August 2016)
Old 18th August 2016, 11:39
HSL HSL est déconnecté

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelfish View Post
Just as long as it's released soon I'm happy.

That album is an absolute masterpiece as far as I'm concerned.

I can't believe how underrated it was, at least in the US.

I was only ten when it came out, and loved freedom 90, but that's the only song I even heard on the radio from it.

When I was older and heard the whole thing, I was shocked.

No one else was making music like that in 90... Or maybe ever.
Well said . I agree George is a genius and was way ahead of his time.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HSL For This Useful Post:
Angelfish (18th August 2016), pas1974 (18th August 2016), Pippy (18th August 2016)
Old 18th August 2016, 18:25
Older445 Older445 est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
No one else was making music like that in 90... Or maybe ever.
Don't overstate it. I agree on the point that its a very good album, maybe one of the best (pop/soul-) albums released in the 90's. But several artists and bands (including Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, The Beatles...) made great albums, similar in style and quality to LWP, before GM did.
But we'll take our chances
Because god's stopped keeping score.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Older445 For This Useful Post:
Angelfish (18th August 2016), cowboysandangels (18th August 2016)
Old 18th August 2016, 22:18
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Older445 View Post
Don't overstate it. I agree on the point that its a very good album, maybe one of the best (pop/soul-) albums released in the 90's. But several artists and bands (including Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, The Beatles...) made great albums, similar in style and quality to LWP, before GM did.
True, the 'maybe ever' was an afterthought...think I'll remove it. Matter of personal taste. I was very tired and trying to think if I'd even heard something similar I could listen to start to finish. I grew up listening to my parents old Beatles albums, (a huge Beatles fan) I agree there.

(I know they're considered 'greats' in general, but I don't personally like Marvin Gaye or Stevie wonder enough to listen to them on purpose) His vocals, songwriting and production get me listening to genres of music I don't like otherwise.

I have other artists whose music I love, but they're very different, no pop or soul, really. Comparing his style to them is a bit like apples to oranges. So, I may be a bit unusual in that regard among GM fans. He's an anomaly on my playlists. I've got eclectic taste.
The Following User Says Thank You to Angelfish For This Useful Post:
Older445 (20th August 2016)
Old 19th August 2016, 00:17
Onef*ckfantasy Onef*ckfantasy est déconnecté

Thanked 1,398 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSL View Post
Well said . I agree George is a genius and was way ahead of his time.
Give it a rest, HSL! It's been a while The album was actually pretty old-fashioned in style and borrowed from other artists (The Beatles, Lennon etc, and nothing wrong with that) It wasn't really an 'ahead of its time' album, good though it was. And that genius tag... it gets banded around far too easily.
The Following User Says Thank You to Onef*ckfantasy For This Useful Post:
Older445 (20th August 2016)
Old 19th August 2016, 01:03
Flawless

Here is a list of 1990 top US singles, to put it in perspective.

Praying for time is the only GM song on the list.

I can't stand much of this.. I mean, ice ice baby? U can't touch this?
Milli vanilli. New kids on the block.
Ugh... Lol.

(No offense to those who like them but I've never liked Janet Jackson, Mariah Carey, Paula Abdul or Madonna either.)

There's a few I like, Sinead, Aerosmith, tom petty, billy Joel, Faith no more etc.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill...ingles_of_1990

(Edit- I also checked 1991- Freedom 90 was on that list, but was towards the bottom.)

Anyway... Personally... Gimme LWP, over this list any day.

Last edited by Angelfish; 19th August 2016 at 01:37..
Old 19th August 2016, 03:36
qp65 qp65 est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
True, the 'maybe ever' was an afterthought...think I'll remove it. Matter of personal taste. I was very tired and trying to think if I'd even heard something similar I could listen to start to finish. I grew up listening to my parents old Beatles albums, (a huge Beatles fan) I agree there.

(I know they're considered 'greats' in general, but I don't personally like Marvin Gaye or Stevie wonder enough to listen to them on purpose) His vocals, songwriting and production get me listening to genres of music I don't like otherwise.

I have other artists whose music I love, but they're very different, no pop or soul, really. Comparing his style to them is a bit like apples to oranges. So, I may be a bit unusual in that regard among GM fans. He's an anomaly on my playlists. I've got eclectic taste.
I am also a huge Beatles fan, which is safe as nobody would say you do not have good taste for music. But people seem to forget that the Beatles were also influenced by lots of music before and even around them. The key is to use different influences to come up with your own music (e.g. George Harrison incorporated India music into their songs and etc. they were influenced by black music too.). In this aspect, George is no exception. What makes GM stands out among his peers and after is that he has superb talent and vocal capability as well as songwriting ability to come up with music crossing different genres with great quality. The McCartney influence is obvious with HTP , although I do not understand when someone said that PFT and Imagine are similar (to me, there is not much similarity music wise, although both are kind of protesting song, with Imagine being sugar coated). This song is ahead of its time as the lyric is even more relevant today. Freedom 90 is unique because there were not a lot of pop songs that are so cynical and critical about stardom. C&A has been discussed extensively in another thread, and is one of most beautiful songs in any era although under appreciated.

I have been listening to lots of different artists' music lately when I have some spare time, and have become a fan of Fleetwood Mac's Rumor and Tusk as well as Prince's Purple Rain album. Meanwhile, my appreciation of GM has not diminished one bit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qp65 For This Useful Post:
Angelfish (19th August 2016), Parklife (19th August 2016)
Old 19th August 2016, 04:03
timtom3x timtom3x est déconnecté
Flawless

I agree that it was a great album, but I just can't see any reason for fans to buy these re-released or remastered albums. Unless it's got some unreleased material with it, what's the point? I already have the album and all the officially released singles from it. And I've never noticed any improvement in quality on remastered songs. So other than the benefit to GM of having the album back in stores for a brief time, what's the benefit for fans? What's the reason to buy it, other than to have a brand-spanking new copy of the album if your old copy is worn out, as well as an opportunity to show monetary support for George (as if he needs it)? Unless there's unreleased material to go along with it, I can't see that I would bother buying a re-issue of LWP.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timtom3x For This Useful Post:
HSL (19th August 2016), pas1974 (19th August 2016), Verena (19th August 2016)
Old 19th August 2016, 04:16
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by qp65 View Post
I am also a huge Beatles fan, which is safe as nobody would say you do not have good taste for music. But people seem to forget that the Beatles were also influenced by lots of music before and even around them. The key is to use different influences to come up with your own music (e.g. George Harrison incorporated India music into their songs and etc. they were influenced by black music too.). In this aspect, George is no exception. What makes GM stands out among his peers and after is that he has superb talent and vocal capability as well as songwriting ability to come up with music crossing different genres with great quality. The McCartney influence is obvious with HTP , although I do not understand when someone said that PFT and Imagine are similar (to me, there is not much similarity music wise, although both are kind of protesting song, with Imagine being sugar coated). This song is ahead of its time as the lyric is even more relevant today. Freedom 90 is unique because there were not a lot of pop songs that are so cynical and critical about stardom. C&A has been discussed extensively in another thread, and is one of most beautiful songs in any era although under appreciated.

I have been listening to lots of different artists' music lately when I have some spare time, and have become a fan of Fleetwood Mac's Rumor and Tusk as well as Prince's Purple Rain album. Meanwhile, my appreciation of GM has not diminished one bit.
I know GM has covered some songs and written songs influenced by musicians, or in styles I wouldn't normally like.

To me, being able to bring a new sound into my catalogue of 'I love this' music is a good thing, and a mark of real talent. He doesn't sound like a rip off, he maintains the integrity of the song, but gives his own artistic influence.

I enjoy finding new music I like, whether old or new.

I love Harrison's songwriting too, I think he was the underrated Beatle.
And yeah they explored many different styles.. The Beatles.

I agree that I don't hear a strong Lennon influence in the album, but HTP sounds very McCartney.

Everyone is borrowing influence from somewhere anymore, no matter how unique they are.
Just how things work.

I think the album has a timeless quality. I love how organic it is. How diverse. How personal.
If it were a new release right now, I'd love it just as much, maybe more, as I'd understand it better than I did years ago.

Very few albums from that early 90s era I can say that of.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Angelfish For This Useful Post:
Parklife (19th August 2016), qp65 (19th August 2016)
Old 19th August 2016, 04:23
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtom3x View Post
I agree that it was a great album, but I just can't see any reason for fans to buy these re-released or remastered albums. Unless it's got some unreleased material with it, what's the point? I already have the album and all the officially released singles from it. And I've never noticed any improvement in quality on remastered songs. So other than the benefit to GM of having the album back in stores for a brief time, what's the benefit for fans? What's the reason to buy it, other than to have a brand-spanking new copy of the album if your old copy is worn out, as well as an opportunity to show monetary support for George (as if he needs it)? Unless there's unreleased material to go along with it, I can't see that I would bother buying a re-issue of LWP.
I thought it would be more than just a re issue, by speculation?
Anniversary albums usually have something extra, I think.

I do think it could use a remastering, too. Make it a bit clearer.

But overall I agree, if there's nothing like some rares or live songs, something more..
It's going to be disappointing.
Old 19th August 2016, 08:31
HSL HSL est déconnecté

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onef*ckfantasy View Post
Give it a rest, HSL! It's been a while The album was actually pretty old-fashioned in style and borrowed from other artists (The Beatles, Lennon etc, and nothing wrong with that) It wasn't really an 'ahead of its time' album, good though it was. And that genius tag... it gets banded around far too easily.
Yes ONEFUCK it has been a while. I have missed you (not). The fact the we are discussing this album 25 years after its original release proves what a classic it is. Even the cover songs still sound fresh due to George's vocals.
Old 19th August 2016, 08:33
HSL HSL est déconnecté

Quote:
Here is a list of 1990 top US singles, to put it in perspective.

Praying for time is the only GM song on the list.

I can't stand much of this.. I mean, ice ice baby? U can't touch this?
Milli vanilli. New kids on the block.
Ugh... Lol.

(No offense to those who like them but I've never liked Janet Jackson, Mariah Carey, Paula Abdul or Madonna either.)

There's a few I like, Sinead, Aerosmith, tom petty, billy Joel, Faith no more etc.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill...ingles_of_1990

(Edit- I also checked 1991- Freedom 90 was on that list, but was towards the bottom.)

Anyway... Personally... Gimme LWP, over this list any day.
For some reason America loved George in Faith and then fell out of love with him. I don't think LWP was that big there. This is probably due to George not promoting the album and his fall out with Sony. Still not bad sales in America given that there was no promotion or videos.
Old 19th August 2016, 08:37
HSL HSL est déconnecté

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtom3x View Post
Good point and I have thought the same. However I think the quality of the sound is 'better'. When you have got billions of hardcore fans like George has then it will sell even though we already have the music. Thats the genius of George - even Michael Jackson did not have that power.
Old 19th August 2016, 10:13
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSL View Post
For some reason America loved George in Faith and then fell out of love with him. I don't think LWP was that big there. This is probably due to George not promoting the album and his fall out with Sony. Still not bad sales in America given that there was no promotion or videos.

Poor LWP. It got lost in all the the lip sync-ers and hammer pants.

I knew who George was during the faith era, and I was even younger, (hell I remember wham!songs on the radio) but at ten I didn't even realize freedom 90 was him! And for some reason I remember almost every song from the rest of that list from 1990... But, I don't recall hearing praying for time until I was older. Weird.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure I'd have known about any of his albums after faith if I hadn't checked to see if he had more releases. Hmm.