George Michael Forums

Go Back   George Michael Forums > George Michael > News

Old 13th April 2017, 02:43
GMfan87' GMfan87' est déconnecté
Flawless

Really appreciate your friendly post , Lydia .
Old 13th April 2017, 05:06
snoopy snoopy est déconnecté

Here is a story about the Princess Diana tribute garden at Kensington Palace. It's beautiful!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...on-Palace.html

Old 13th April 2017, 07:23
GMMegaFan GMMegaFan est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYDIA View Post
Hello, older member here. Most of us are all still here and there. Keep in mind what others have said, we've been here together a very long time so we have little left to say on the old topics that are suddenly new for so many of our newest members. So our silence just stems from that mostly.
The lively and interesting discussions are all there and unless a thread is closed we can all still post away bringing life to old threads!
As you say, the silence of the older members is probably because you have already said most of what you needed to. Plus, we the newer members are posting too much For us newbies, to get a Forum like this where you can freely express your opinion on every aspect of George Michael is immense. To be able to write freely about our emotions and things on our mind and have an audience who understands what you are saying is so important. In most of those FB groups, the Admin have not heard of "Freedom of Speech" it looks like.

We may or may not agree on everything, but our shared love and grief for George is there for all to see. When the news came out on December 25, personally, I was stunned beyond belief. It felt like a family member had died. It is hard for other people to understand the level of affection you have for somebody who they see as a pop star that you have never met in your life. I quickly understood that with people I worked with or with friends in general, I better not keep talking about George Michael. They thought it was all a strange obsession actually.

I found that 3 Englishmen I worked with, in their early 20s to mid 30s, did not know much about George Michael. Not only that, whatever they knew was about the WHAM! songs. Nothing much about GMs solo career, except a negative image of him gleaned from the English Press coverage. To extoll the virtues of GM to his fellow citizens was weird. An American I work with who is 40+ years old, has a shared love of music in general and is a big Prince fan, was the only one with empathy, ironically.

Luckily I have a hubby who does not share in my love for his music, but understands mine and has let me play his music and talk about GM endlessly for months. The only question for some reason he has is, how could he have been alone on XMas eve. How did somebody with so much end up like that ? He also has great respect for GMs philanthropy.

As GM told Parkinson once, you are the only person I speak to on English TV and you are practically my therapist.So this forum has just been something of a therapy session for many of us newcomers. Sorry for prattling on as I have in the last 2 weeks. It will all come out and I will quiet down eventually. I can see there is so much info and resources about GM in this forum. I have a 3-day weekend and I will shutup and poke around. Maybe even create a Users Doc to guide my fellow newbies around the Forum
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GMMegaFan For This Useful Post:
Georgeforever (13th April 2017), GMfan87' (13th April 2017), GoodFairy (13th April 2017), jas1970 (15th April 2017), lynzpie (13th April 2017), mare (13th April 2017), TrueLoveAFN (14th April 2017)
Old 13th April 2017, 07:37
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
Here is a story about the Princess Diana tribute garden at Kensington Palace. It's beautiful!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...on-Palace.html

I have some beautiful pictures that GM himself posted of his Highgate house garden in his Twitter account saying Spring was his favourite season. He linked all his images and videos using yfrog in the early years. yfrog is now defunct and those pics and videos disappeared. But nutcases like me downloaded everything as he posted and so we have it

They used to keep these huge vases of cut roses and lilies throughout his house. There are pics of that. Boy George and GM made up in later years and when Boy George visited the house for dinner, he tweeted that the house was so stylish and smelt great

Maybe the pictures are already here, let me know if needed and where to upload the pictures and videos
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GMMegaFan For This Useful Post:
GMfan87' (13th April 2017), GoodFairy (13th April 2017), jas1970 (15th April 2017), snoopy (14th April 2017), xfreader (24th April 2017)
Old 13th April 2017, 08:30
Georgeforever Georgeforever est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMegaFan View Post
To be able to write freely about our emotions and things on our mind and have an audience who understands what you are saying is so important.
We may or may not agree on everything, but our shared love and grief for George is there for all to see. When the news came out on December 25, personally, I was stunned beyond belief. It felt like a family member had died. It is hard for other people to understand the level of affection you have for somebody who they see as a pop star that you have never met in your life. I quickly understood that with people I worked with or with friends in general, I better not keep talking about George Michael. They thought it was all a strange obsession actually.
I found that 3 Englishmen I worked with, in their early 20s to mid 30s, did not know much about George Michael.
You have said it all very well, GMMegaFan. I still have moments when I cannot believe this has happened.

Just a little note about the UK: It was a bad coincidence that you had English colleagues who were not so familiar with George. I lived in the UK for about a decade. I was delighted to see how much George is appreciated there. The public love him. I would hear his songs on the radio all the time.

Just a little article on this:

George Michael is biggest hit with radio listeners (The Guardian, 28/04/04)
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2004/apr/28/radio

Quote:
George Michael was revealed today as the most played artist on British radio beating the likes of Elton John and Paul McCartney to the top spot.
"I can't believe it. I've only made six albums in 22 years so I don't know how this happened. I'm the luckiest writer on earth," the singer said before he picked up an award from the Radio Academy for his achievement.

Last edited by Georgeforever; 13th April 2017 at 10:10..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Georgeforever For This Useful Post:
GMfan87' (13th April 2017), GMMegaFan (13th April 2017), GoodFairy (13th April 2017), Toto (13th April 2017), TrueLoveAFN (14th April 2017)
Old 13th April 2017, 10:55
Georgeforever Georgeforever est déconnecté
Flawless

The Greek Orthodox Archbishop of Great Britain talks about George Michael and his family.

I have seen an article where the Greek Orthodox Archbishop of Great Britain, Gregorios, is talking about George Michael and his family.

Article:
"The Greek Orthodox George Michael and the talent in his genes" (Greek newspaper "Ethnos", 31 December 2016)
http://www.ethnos.gr/diethni/arthro/..._tou-64803900/

The archbishop spoke to the Greek newspaper “Ethnos” (meaning “Nation” in Greek), which is a broadsheet, not a tabloid.
The article is in Greek but I have translated the main parts of it below.

Archbishop Gregory says:

Quote:
"The loss of George Michael, of Greek Cypriot origin, has filled us with grief. His mother, Leslie, was British, while his father Kyriacos Panayiotou is Greek Cypriot and comes from a village (the village Patriki in the Karpas peninsula, Cyprus) located in the Turkish-occupied territories. George inherited his musical talent from his father, who played the violin very well, but unfortunately he could not receive musical education in those difficult years. But he has innate talent. It is a very good family. George was baptised Orthodox, but he had no particular contact with the church. Maybe that was our own fault because we didn’t try to approach him. I remember at some point in the past I met his parents and I asked “How is George, I haven’t seen him” and his mother replied: 'Do we ever see him??!! He is so absorbed in music ... ' "
Referring to George and his mother, Archbishop Gregory says:
Quote:
“He had a great respect and love for her. I think that her death scarred him. Since then he changed a lot and he never managed to fill the void left by her absence. He was very close to her. His father, who lives in North London, continued to visit our church.

I met George Michael a few years ago, when a Greek Cypriot mayor in North London organised an event to raise money for charity in the area and George came to offer his help.
The second time was when his cousin Andros Georgiou baptised his child and George Michael became his godfather.

He was a sensitive artist. These days, the newspapers in Britain are continuously publishing articles about his charity work, which he wanted to remain secret. Apart from charity organisations, he also helped many ordinary people, which proves that he was a man of emotional and intellectual depth".
My notes:

• It is interesting to read that George’s father had shown a talent in music. And that is said by the Archbishop who knows him personally and who is also Greek Cypriot. I remember George saying about his father that he didn’t have a musical bone in his body. Just one more thing on this subject: Here in Greece when there is a talent show and there are contestants from different parts of Greece, it is almost always the case that a Greek Cypriot contestant wins the show. Their voices seem to be the best of all Greeks. I do believe that there is a tradition in Cyprus to be close to music.

• The rest of the article includes information about George’s father. How he worked hard and climbed to middle class purely due to his hard work and determination, which George himself said that he came to realise and admire later. It also says that George remembers, as a child, watching his father dance folk Greek dances with a full glass on his head at Greek weddings, and he was proud of his father, as he danced better than anyone else. You can visit the link of the article above. Even though it is in Greek, you can right-click and then select “Translate to English”. Of course, machine translation will never replace humans as it can sometimes be awkward, but it still gives you an idea of the article.

Last edited by Georgeforever; 13th April 2017 at 11:38..
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Georgeforever For This Useful Post:
GMfan87' (13th April 2017), GMMegaFan (14th April 2017), GoodFairy (13th April 2017), jas1970 (15th April 2017), lynzpie (13th April 2017), Parklife (17th April 2017), silvia-yog (20th April 2017), snoopy (14th April 2017), Toto (13th April 2017)
Old 13th April 2017, 14:29
Flawless

GMmegafan - would love to see those spring pictures from George. There is a pictures section , maybe add to a thread or start new one ?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GMfan87' For This Useful Post:
jas1970 (13th April 2017), Katra (13th April 2017)
Old 13th April 2017, 14:53
Flawless

Katra - there is a photo now up on Remembering George thread
The Following User Says Thank You to GMfan87' For This Useful Post:
Katra (13th April 2017)
Old 13th April 2017, 15:49
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfan87' View Post
GMmegafan - would love to see those spring pictures from George. There is a pictures section , maybe add to a thread or start new one ?
In the Images section, I have created a new thread "George Michael's pictures from his garden"

I have uploaded all the garden pictures in this thread. I did not realise there were so many.
They are beautiful and the fact that it came from the man himself is very special.
I have his home videos of Meg and Abby and some funny stuff he used to post.
I will post them all over the next few months.
Enjoy !!
GoodFairy (13th April 2017), Hollylove (13th April 2017), jas1970 (15th April 2017), Katra (13th April 2017), lynzpie (13th April 2017), snoopy (14th April 2017), xfreader (24th April 2017)
Old 13th April 2017, 23:21
WhamMan WhamMan est déconnecté

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamMan View Post
Superb and very-underated track. Probably the last piece of original old-school George he put out along with December Song.
And I was fortunate enough to hear it sung live, with Mutya on the 25 Live Tour. Manchester, Nov 2006 I think. She came on teetering around on high heels looking completely overawed by the occasion

I blew a lot of money on that tour. I must have seen 7 shows I think; Amsterdam and Rome, London three times including Wembley Stadium, Birmingham and Manchester. It seemed extravagant at the time but I'm glad I did it now. Just wished my children had got to see him.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WhamMan For This Useful Post:
ande (14th April 2017), GMMegaFan (14th April 2017), Katra (14th April 2017), mare (14th April 2017), thebridge (15th April 2017), xfreader (24th April 2017)
Old 13th April 2017, 23:39
Flawless

Quote:
And I was fortunate enough to hear it sung live, with Mutya on the 25 Live Tour. Manchester, Nov 2006 I think. She came on teetering around on high heels looking completely overawed by the occasion
I blew a lot of money on that tour. I must have seen 7 shows I think; Amsterdam and Rome, London three times including Wembley Stadium, Birmingham and Manchester. It seemed extravagant at the time but I'm glad I did it now. Just wished my children had got to see him.
I bow down to you in awe
Didnt Mutya sing live with him twice during the 25 Live Tour. I saw a fan post a video where she was wearing this short dress and perched uncomfortably next to GM.
The 2nd occasion, she wore the black tights having learnt her lesson I think
Did GM say something like "they dont make them like Mutya anymore" or something complimentary to that effect after the song was over
The Following User Says Thank You to GMMegaFan For This Useful Post:
Katra (14th April 2017)
Old 14th April 2017, 01:02
SirLala SirLala est actuellement connecté
Flawless

I wished he did another tour before he died
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SirLala For This Useful Post:
GMMegaFan (14th April 2017), KDM (14th April 2017)
Old 14th April 2017, 02:06
WhamMan WhamMan est déconnecté

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMegaFan View Post
I bow down to you in awe
Didnt Mutya sing live with him twice during the 25 Live Tour. I saw a fan post a video where she was wearing this short dress and perched uncomfortably next to GM.
The 2nd occasion, she wore the black tights having learnt her lesson I think
Did GM say something like "they dont make them like Mutya anymore" or something complimentary to that effect after the song was over
I'm not sure about a 2nd occasion - possibly. The short dress sounds like the night we saw. She just looked so uncomfortable all round. But sounded great!
Old 14th April 2017, 03:39
snoopy snoopy est déconnecté

Thanks for posting the link to the Greek article, and for providing a translation. I am also surprised that it said George's father played the violin when he was young. I remember that quote when George said his dad doesn't have a musical bone in his body! So I wonder if this is accurate??

I know George played the violin when he was a kid.
The Following User Says Thank You to snoopy For This Useful Post:
Georgeforever (17th April 2017)
Old 14th April 2017, 05:10
Flawless

Quote:
I'm not sure about a 2nd occasion - possibly. The short dress sounds like the night we saw. She just looked so uncomfortable all round. But sounded great!
Law of the Internet - "If you search hard enough, you will find anything".
I have for years looked to see if anybody would post a better quality video of these live performances. But even with the poor quality, it is worth watching.

In this performance, Mutya is perched uncomfortably with the short dress. At the end does GM not say "they are hard to come by these days" (5:17). Audio is not very clear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_aCcXj5Hl0
At 2:13 there is a misstep and GM stops singing "That's why I've got to leave" halfway. It is really hard singing these duets in step.

Another performance, you can see Mutya is wearing the black pants now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qomPAdZkU9U

And for the first time I found what looks like a 3rd performance. It is different from the second one as Mutya is wearing a sleeveless blouse here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdTM3ug2h_Q

Looks like at all the London concerts of 25Live she must have sung. Must say Mutya's voice is top quality and matches GM. It must have taken a big effort for her to hold her nerve and sit next to him and match his singing. Full marks to Mutya.

His voice is at his seductive best in this song. Every word cleanly enunciated. Effortless singing. Lyrics simple, but flowing and speaks of a life situation many people find themselves in. GM was born to make music. This song deserved a lot more play than it got.

This convo got started here and does not belong in this thread

"ANGEL OF TRAGEDY"

Last edited by GMMegaFan; 14th April 2017 at 06:43..
FiRe (17th April 2017), freeek (14th April 2017), Katra (14th April 2017), neko011 (14th April 2017), qp65 (14th April 2017), VigilanteMovie (14th April 2017), xfreader (24th April 2017)