George Michael Forums

Go Back   George Michael Forums > George Michael > General Discussion

Old 16th April 2017, 01:59
GMfan87' GMfan87' est déconnecté
Flawless

Maybe they just want to draw attention to themselves and situation . Probably no intention of really going after the person .
Old 17th April 2017, 06:05
GMthx GMthx est déconnecté
Star People

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollylove View Post
I've found some background on Elton/Geri/Andros falling out
http://forums.denden.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=26996

Andros is on 'one'as usual - think reading between the lines he was jealous of Geri and Kenny relationship with GM - retrospectively he goes easy on Anselmo as he had died so wasn't considered a threat.
I thought at some point George had a falling out with Geri as well. I thought something happened where they were no longer friends. Is that correct? I recall when there were tabloid rumours about her doing a reading at his funeral, that people were saying there was no way because they were no longer friends. I know that she spoke highly of him in interviews shortly after his death but I had heard that he had cut her off for some reason. Does anyone know anything about this? I really don't think they had been friends for 5 years at least.
Old 17th April 2017, 06:11
GMthx GMthx est déconnecté
Star People

I have been a bit curious about David Austin. It seemed he spent so much time with George. Did he turn a blind eye to the addictions? Was he also into them as well? I guess he is really private but it looks from the outside like his life revolved around George completely. What do people know about him?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GMthx For This Useful Post:
GMfan87' (17th April 2017), jas1970 (17th April 2017)
Old 17th April 2017, 08:34
Katra Katra est déconnecté
Flawless

Default George and Geri

Regarding George cutting of Geri ... I just remember him saying cca 10 years ago that Geri is a great girl but too obsessed with being celebrity or being in the press ...
Old 17th April 2017, 09:58
Jude001 Jude001 est déconnecté
Young Gun

I think George distanced himself from almost everyone towards the end of his life. Even with his family, he only kept in contact with his sisters and father.

As for David Austin, he probably saw much that was self destructive about George, but it would have been difficult to challenge him. It would be interesting to know who it was that persuaded him to go to rehab in Switzerland.
Old 17th April 2017, 13:28
ladyjayne ladyjayne est actuellement connecté
Flawless

Just finished Simon Napier-Bell's book, I'm coming to take you to lunch, about his management of Wham and specifically setting up the tour to China. I think someone on here recommended it and I found it a very easy, entertaining read - he's a good writer. It's also fascinating in that it portrays George's attitude to the music industry and to the media as largely consistent from the outset; even as a teenager, hostile and cynical and highly business minded. For e.g., from the outset he wanted two sets of accountants, so they could check each other. The attitudes he held towards his fame seem to have been there pretty much from the beginning. He is also portrayed as extremely controlling and very hard to work with, largely because of his perfectionism, but also due to a ruthless logic, bordering on autistic when it came to appreciating an opposing view. An e.g. of this - a concert is cancelled due to George having a sore throat and he then is photographed going to see a film with Andrew causing the fans to be upset - George just can't see what the problem is as a sore throat only prevents him from singing but not sitting watching a film. Napier-Bell recounts numerous egs of George's moral conscience (ironically, he gives Napier-Bell and poor Andrew an horrendous dressing down when they go out drink-driving!). One of the funniest - the organisers of the fan club make off with the £5 subscriptions they collected without delivering the goods. Napier-Bell agrees with George that the subscribers will have to be reimbursed but comes up with the idea that George and Andrew should sign the cheques, which will mean no-one cashes them but keeps them as souvenirs. GM thinks this is swindling the fans of their money and has to be persuaded by Andrew that they have the choice whether or not to cash the cheques - needless to say not one person does!
Andrew comes across as quietly heroic to be honest, the only person (apart from Melanie) who GM trusts but who is frequently side-lined. Very early on, as the video for Careless Whisper is being filmed he is asked by Napier-Bell why he is there as the video is meant to be just George and just laughed and says he is making a fleeting guest appearance "The time still hasn't come for me to be pushed aside completely".
I do recommend the book - it's available on Kindle.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ladyjayne For This Useful Post:
GMMegaFan (17th April 2017), TrojanSoul (17th April 2017)
Old 17th April 2017, 14:54
TrojanSoul TrojanSoul est déconnecté
Star People

I'd love to know more about David as well. Does anyone know if he was gay or straight? I'm thinking he was straight because George teases him about women in the 'I'd know him a mile off video," but couldn't be certain about this. I've also seen an interview with a woman who claims she was his girlfriend and George used to come round for Sunday lunch. David seems to have been one of the few constants in George's life, I wonder why he was never officially in Wham with George and Andrew, he was always there at concerts, even appearing on stage at TOTPs with them. It's as if he was the unofficial third member.
Old 17th April 2017, 14:56
TrojanSoul TrojanSoul est déconnecté
Star People

A book written by David really would be worth reading!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TrojanSoul For This Useful Post:
Katra (17th April 2017), ladyjayne (17th April 2017), xfreader (24th April 2017)
Old 17th April 2017, 14:57
Flawless

Just ordered the Wham book from Amazon , if anyone here would like it after I'm thru I would be glad to send it to you . Thanks ladyjayne for the interesting info. in it. It couldn't have been entirely easy to be Andrew but I do think they really understood each other. Has anyone here read the Rob Javonvonic ( not sure I spelled that correctly) biography ? Seems to be only George one rates well besides Bare.As for David , yes I wonder too about how much he saw George , the drug use, maybe he wasn't involved in any of that part of his life ? And seems he was straight. He was in Edge of Heaven video playing guitar by the way.
Old 17th April 2017, 15:06
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanSoul View Post
I'd love to know more about David as well. Does anyone know if he was gay or straight? I'm thinking he was straight because George teases him about women in the 'I'd know him a mile off video," but couldn't be certain about this. I've also seen an interview with a woman who claims she was his girlfriend and George used to come round for Sunday lunch. David seems to have been one of the few constants in George's life, I wonder why he was never officially in Wham with George and Andrew, he was always there at concerts, even appearing on stage at TOTPs with them. It's as if he was the unofficial third member.
I wonder if David wasn't regarded as photogenic enough to be a front-man in Wham - a bit like Ian Stewart with the Rolling Stones. He's a perfectly decent looking guy but not the same image as George and Andrew when they were teenagers. I believe David to be straight.
Old 17th April 2017, 15:45
GMMegaFan GMMegaFan est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanSoul View Post
David Austin was straight. As GM himself has described, they met when GM was 6 months old, when David's family moved into the neighbourhood. David was 1 year ahead of GM and Andrew in school. David had a solo career and had a single that was fairly successful "Turn to Gold" and then it all went away. GM introduces him and is on backing vocals here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2svn1LONFs #puregold

David travelled with him and was a huge part of his life. From 2011, I think he was with him on a daily basis. In the Different Story documentary, David speaks a lot and towards the end he smiles and says GM has a nice sense of humour and he can be a nasty man too. I think it was reported once in the late 1980s both of them had some fisticuffs outside a night club as David accused GM of hitting on his girlfriend. I think this is that girlfriend who wrote a tribute when GM died:
http://www.news.com.au/entertainment...4ca1750ed0dbec

GM shared writing credits for songs like "You have been Loved", "December Song" etc with David. I think this was GMs way of making sure his friends benefited. Before singing "You have been Loved" on the Symphonica tour at one concert, GM said David co-wrote that song with me and joked he gives me a fiver whenever I say that GM referred to David a lot during that tour.

Andros and others felt people like David were not tough enough and let GM do anything he wanted and David should have done more to stop him.

These were the really funny tweets that GM tweeted about David when fans asked him on Twitter about their relationship:
@GeorgeMichael Have you guys always been close? Really something special that you have your same friends! You surely must had spazzes?
GMs answer:
David and I met at six months old. Our mums stopped in the street to say hi when they moved in a few doors way
Mum was on her way to the shops, David's mum was on her way back... Both pushing their baby boys down the street....
It was the beginning of a long and totally rubbish Greek/Irish tragedy of a friendship. I'd tell him to feck right off but ....
He's got way too much on me....!
We're like Edna Everage and Madge....if Madge was a blackmailer...lol!

@GeorgeMichael while you were plaiting ur longer tufts & whatever can u tell us what david austin got up to please
Well, David is a dab hand with tweezers and a small comb. Also, he would plait the bits I couldn't reach. If I paid him...

@GeorgeMichael Are you still trying to get back at David bc he had a nicer house when u grew up?
Ooooo! Your opening old wounds now!....anyway , I don't know what he was so cocky about...we had a bigger garage than them....

David I think has directed the last documentary that has been shot for C4. I cant wait to see that documentary.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GMMegaFan For This Useful Post:
Aimee (17th April 2017), GMfan87' (17th April 2017), GMthx (17th April 2017), ladyjayne (17th April 2017), xfreader (24th April 2017)
Old 17th April 2017, 17:29
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMegaFan View Post
Andros and others felt people like David were not tough enough and let GM do anything he wanted and David should have done more to stop him.

These were the really funny tweets that GM tweeted about David when fans asked him on Twitter about their relationship:
@GeorgeMichael Have you guys always been close? Really something special that you have your same friends! You surely must had spazzes?
GMs answer:
David and I met at six months old. Our mums stopped in the street to say hi when they moved in a few doors way
Mum was on her way to the shops, David's mum was on her way back... Both pushing their baby boys down the street....
It was the beginning of a long and totally rubbish Greek/Irish tragedy of a friendship. I'd tell him to feck right off but ....
He's got way too much on me....!
We're like Edna Everage and Madge....if Madge was a blackmailer...lol!

@GeorgeMichael while you were plaiting ur longer tufts & whatever can u tell us what david austin got up to please
Well, David is a dab hand with tweezers and a small comb. Also, he would plait the bits I couldn't reach. If I paid him...

@GeorgeMichael Are you still trying to get back at David bc he had a nicer house when u grew up?
Ooooo! Your opening old wounds now!....anyway , I don't know what he was so cocky about...we had a bigger garage than them....

David I think has directed the last documentary that has been shot for C4. I cant wait to see that documentary.
I didn't think the "I'd know him a mile off" 'documentary' which DA was also responsible for was all that great to be honest. Apart from the Wembley security guy not recognising George (which had the feel of a bit of a set-up to me), I thought the format (wading through vignettes of the various people involved in the tour for e.g., and especially all the black and white footage) was a bit stale within this genre. It was very reminiscent of the early Robbie Williams tour documentaries to me, but without Robbie's colossal ability to take the p*ss out of the whole process. [His displeasure at his German hotel suite remains a classic send-up]. I'm hoping the C4 documentary, if we ever see it, will be a bit more insightful. I will say I thought the video DA produced for the Brit eulogy was beautifully judged and put together.
The Following User Says Thank You to ladyjayne For This Useful Post:
GMMegaFan (17th April 2017)
Old 17th April 2017, 17:55
GMMegaFan GMMegaFan est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjayne View Post
I'm hoping the C4 documentary, if we ever see it, will be a bit more insightful. I will say I thought the video DA produced for the Brit eulogy was beautifully judged and put together.
The C4 documentary is narrated by GM himself. I just checked, I think David is Co-Producer not Director. They said they are re-editing as a lot of things was in the present tense and under the sad circumstances has to be changed. I think we will see it as it has huge commercial value for C4, if nothing else. Showtime has the US rights.
The Following User Says Thank You to GMMegaFan For This Useful Post:
GMfan87' (17th April 2017)
Old 17th April 2017, 19:44
Flawless

David did a beautiful job on the Grammy tribute video.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GMfan87' For This Useful Post:
GMMegaFan (17th April 2017), silvia-yog (20th April 2017)
Old 17th April 2017, 20:06
freedom! freedom! est déconnecté
Star People

Given this thread is about falling out, I heard an interview yesterday with Tony Parsons - he said they we very close mates but fell out with each other 13 years ago. He didn't say why but implied GM was heavy into drugs.
The Following User Says Thank You to freedom! For This Useful Post:
Hollylove (17th April 2017)