George Michael Forums

Go Back   George Michael Forums > George Michael > General Discussion

Old 18th April 2017, 02:52
Georgeforever Georgeforever est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by qp65 View Post
Here is one of the articles in which Parsons mocked GM who was battling life-threatening pneumonia (the article was initially published in Dec 2011). http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...n-i-once-94912
This is so disgraceful! Writing in this tone when George was battling for his life.
How betrayed George must have felt.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Georgeforever For This Useful Post:
GMMegaFan (18th April 2017), qp65 (18th April 2017), xfreader (24th April 2017)
Old 18th April 2017, 03:33
GMfan87' GMfan87' est déconnecté
Flawless

Maybe he didn't know he could of died at the time ? But either way he said many times "get well "in the article . I take it he missed GM and the person he knew him to be. He sounded disappointed in what he had become , and so were we. Now if GM asked him not to publish and he did , yes that was wrong and a betrayal of trust but if no such agreement and freely talking , he knew he was a reporter... However if it was me I would of asked my friend , this sounds personal , leave this out ? That sort of thing .
The Following User Says Thank You to GMfan87' For This Useful Post:
Whamtastic (18th April 2017)
Old 18th April 2017, 21:34
qp65 qp65 est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjayne View Post
Just finished Simon Napier-Bell's book, I'm coming to take you to lunch, about his management of Wham and specifically setting up the tour to China. I think someone on here recommended it and I found it a very easy, entertaining read - he's a good writer. It's also fascinating in that it portrays George's attitude to the music industry and to the media as largely consistent from the outset; even as a teenager, hostile and cynical and highly business minded. For e.g., from the outset he wanted two sets of accountants, so they could check each other. The attitudes he held towards his fame seem to have been there pretty much from the beginning. He is also portrayed as extremely controlling and very hard to work with, largely because of his perfectionism, but also due to a ruthless logic, bordering on autistic when it came to appreciating an opposing view. An e.g. of this - a concert is cancelled due to George having a sore throat and he then is photographed going to see a film with Andrew causing the fans to be upset - George just can't see what the problem is as a sore throat only prevents him from singing but not sitting watching a film. Napier-Bell recounts numerous egs of George's moral conscience (ironically, he gives Napier-Bell and poor Andrew an horrendous dressing down when they go out drink-driving!). One of the funniest - the organisers of the fan club make off with the £5 subscriptions they collected without delivering the goods. Napier-Bell agrees with George that the subscribers will have to be reimbursed but comes up with the idea that George and Andrew should sign the cheques, which will mean no-one cashes them but keeps them as souvenirs. GM thinks this is swindling the fans of their money and has to be persuaded by Andrew that they have the choice whether or not to cash the cheques - needless to say not one person does!
Andrew comes across as quietly heroic to be honest, the only person (apart from Melanie) who GM trusts but who is frequently side-lined. Very early on, as the video for Careless Whisper is being filmed he is asked by Napier-Bell why he is there as the video is meant to be just George and just laughed and says he is making a fleeting guest appearance "The time still hasn't come for me to be pushed aside completely".
I do recommend the book - it's available on Kindle.
It is interesting to read your comments on the book which sounds interesting.

But one thing I would say is that when one reads this or other book, say, the one by Andros, we should keep in mind that some authors including Napier-Bell are not exactly friends with GM. I am not saying George was always right, far from it. But I do not think Napier-Bell likes GM that much esp considering how they fell out. I read one of G's unauthorized bio, which said that George had never trusted Napier-Bell, who knew it. The event triggering their splitting actually validated George's instinct: Napier-Bell and Jazz Summers sold Wham to a South African company (could not remember the name) as they wanted to cash in lots of money before Wham split. George went nuts when he found out and then declared to split with Napier-Bell and Summers before the deal can pull through. After this, George refused to talk with either Napier-Bell or Summers. Jazz Summers mentioned this in his own bio before he died, and admitted that they (he and Napier-Bell) crossed the line.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qp65 For This Useful Post:
bettyblue (18th April 2017), GMthx (19th April 2017), ladyjayne (19th April 2017), xfreader (24th April 2017)
Old 18th April 2017, 21:57
Whamtastic Whamtastic est déconnecté
Star People

Quote:
It is interesting to read your comments on the book which sounds interesting.

But one thing I would say is that when one reads this or other book, say, the one by Andros, we should keep in mind that some authors including Napier-Bell are not exactly friends with GM. I am not saying George was always right, far from it. But I do not think Napier-Bell likes GM that much esp considering how they fell out. I read one of G's unauthorized bio, which said that George had never trusted Napier-Bell, who knew it. The event triggering their splitting actually validated George's instinct: Napier-Bell and Jazz Summers sold Wham to a South African company (could not remember the name) as they wanted to cash in lots of money before Wham split. George went nuts when he found out and then declared to split with Napier-Bell and Summers before the deal can pull through. After this, George refused to talk with either Napier-Bell or Summers. Jazz Summers mentioned this in his own bio before he died, and admitted that they (he and Napier-Bell) crossed the line.
Having read the book, I can say that Napier-Bell respected George and his talent. He noted a major difference in George's behavior toward him when he was no longer employed by George.

Nomis Management tried to sell to Kunnick, a publicly held company whose majority shareholder was Sol Kerzner, the man who built Sun City.
The Following User Says Thank You to Whamtastic For This Useful Post:
ladyjayne (19th April 2017)
Old 19th April 2017, 01:45
ladyjayne ladyjayne est actuellement connecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whamtastic View Post
Having read the book, I can say that Napier-Bell respected George and his talent. He noted a major difference in George's behavior toward him when he was no longer employed by George.

Nomis Management tried to sell to Kunnick, a publicly held company whose majority shareholder was Sol Kerzner, the man who built Sun City.
Everyone has to form their own view of how self serving any individual (including George's!) account of the history is - everyone has their own perspective. But it's pretty much a matter of record that Napier-Bell didn't make much money from Wham, and George's decision to pull the plug just when Wham had started to make money after renegotiating the Innovation deal, made sure he never did. I still didn't get the impression that his account was inaccurate and he has a lot of positives to say about George. As you mention his postscript to the book is of meeting George some years later and finding a different and much more charming side. He reflects that this was probably the George his family and Andrew knew all along.
I think as fans (and I am a fan overall) we have to be equally aware that the George of concert and interviews may be very different to the George who people worked for and with. I saw him give some of his evidence in his case against Sony and he presented very differently to the witty, largely relaxed and charmingly self-deprecating George of many of his interviews.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ladyjayne For This Useful Post:
GMfan87' (19th April 2017), GMMegaFan (19th April 2017), GMthx (19th April 2017), Whamtastic (19th April 2017)
Old 19th April 2017, 02:39
Nanabug Nanabug est déconnecté
Star People

Quote:
Everyone has to form their own view of how self serving any individual (including George's!) account of the history is - everyone has their own perspective. But it's pretty much a matter of record that Napier-Bell didn't make much money from Wham, and George's decision to pull the plug just when Wham had started to make money after renegotiating the Innovation deal, made sure he never did. I still didn't get the impression that his account was inaccurate and he has a lot of positives to say about George. As you mention his postscript to the book is of meeting George some years later and finding a different and much more charming side. He reflects that this was probably the George his family and Andrew knew all along.
I think as fans (and I am a fan overall) we have to be equally aware that the George of concert and interviews may be very different to the George who people worked for and with. I saw him give some of his evidence in his case against Sony and he presented very differently to the witty, largely relaxed and charmingly self-deprecating George of many of his interviews.
I think the George that Andrew knew was probably different than most of his friends and certainly way different than business acquaintances knew. I am so impressed with the friendship Andrew and George had! I didn't know all that much abt them as friends back in the Wham days because I was only abt 13 and didn't get to listen to the radio that much or buy teen magazines. Of course I loved their music back then �� But going back now and reading abt Wham and the friendship between George and Andrew and much Andrew helped to make GM who he was..... and then to see how amazing he was after GM died and his Brit tribute and tweets!!! I tried to find a thread on this forum that talked abt GM and AR's friendship but was not successful. Does anyone know more abt that and care to share? I read an excerpt from "Bare" abt AR coming to see GM in LA when GM was really down and depressed after Wham had ended. GM poured his heart out to AR and said the next day he felt like his burdens were so lifted. How lovely to have a friend like that!! I wish AR had stayed closer to GM thru the years as I think he was a very steadying info envelope on him.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nanabug For This Useful Post:
GM40fansince'89 (24th April 2017), GMfan87' (19th April 2017), GMMegaFan (19th April 2017), Katra (19th April 2017), Natou (19th April 2017)
Old 19th April 2017, 02:40
Star People

Influence not envelope
Old 19th April 2017, 02:49
qp65 qp65 est déconnecté
Flawless

George was a complicated man for sure. He seemed to have ruthless aspects in his way of running business (I think his management team was probably a little afraid of him). It is still mind blowing about how he did the transition so effortlessly from Wham to the height of fame during his faith period. He seemed to have done it all alone. On the other hand, he had lots of people, esp his backup singers and some session players work for him for more than 30 years. He seemed to be a pretty loyal person. He must have been pretty good to work with, as otherwise I do not see why anyone would want to stay with him. In addition, I do not recall anyone who said bad words about him, even those who may not like him very much.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qp65 For This Useful Post:
GMfan87' (19th April 2017), GMthx (20th April 2017), Katra (19th April 2017)
Old 19th April 2017, 06:15
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabug View Post
I think the George that Andrew knew was probably different than most of his friends and certainly way different than business acquaintances knew. I am so impressed with the friendship Andrew and George had! I didn't know all that much abt them as friends back in the Wham days because I was only abt 13 and didn't get to listen to the radio that much or buy teen magazines. Of course I loved their music back then �� But going back now and reading abt Wham and the friendship between George and Andrew and much Andrew helped to make GM who he was..... and then to see how amazing he was after GM died and his Brit tribute and tweets!!! I tried to find a thread on this forum that talked abt GM and AR's friendship but was not successful. Does anyone know more abt that and care to share? I read an excerpt from "Bare" abt AR coming to see GM in LA when GM was really down and depressed after Wham had ended. GM poured his heart out to AR and said the next day he felt like his burdens were so lifted. How lovely to have a friend like that!! I wish AR had stayed closer to GM thru the years as I think he was a very steadying info envelope on him.
Ironically, I think Andrew was regarded, rightly, as the wild one in the Wham days and George, the steadying influence! Andrew was the heavy drinker, partier, and womaniser etc who frequently missed planes and overslept (he was meant to be at Band Aid and missed it). He, effectively, allowed George to make all the decisions and do most of the work. In return, it was pretty much a given, from the start that Wham was just a vehicle to allow George to become a solo star in due course. Simon Napier Bell, their manager talks about them in his book, as having an almost impenetrable (to outsiders) relationship, often convulsed with laughter at jokes no one else understood and communicating in their own language. He also makes it clear that by George pulling the plug on Wham when he did, Andrew lost the potential to finally make a lot of money from Wham with a final tour of the US and a further album under their newly re-negotiated recording contract. Up until the very final period of Wham they were incredibly successful but saw very little money.
I think it is very hard to know much about their friendship post Wham. If we talk about George as being private that is nothing to how private Andrew is and I think his distaste for the media is considerably stronger than George's was. I hope in time he will agree to talk to a biographer if there is a serious book about George but I wouldn't bet on it.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ladyjayne For This Useful Post:
GM40fansince'89 (24th April 2017), GMfan87' (19th April 2017), Katra (19th April 2017), Nanabug (19th April 2017), qp65 (20th April 2017)
Old 19th April 2017, 16:27
Star People

Quote:
Ironically, I think Andrew was regarded, rightly, as the wild one in the Wham days and George, the steadying influence! Andrew was the heavy drinker, partier, and womaniser etc who frequently missed planes and overslept (he was meant to be at Band Aid and missed it). He, effectively, allowed George to make all the decisions and do most of the work. In return, it was pretty much a given, from the start that Wham was just a vehicle to allow George to become a solo star in due course. Simon Napier Bell, their manager talks about them in his book, as having an almost impenetrable (to outsiders) relationship, often convulsed with laughter at jokes no one else understood and communicating in their own language. He also makes it clear that by George pulling the plug on Wham when he did, Andrew lost the potential to finally make a lot of money from Wham with a final tour of the US and a further album under their newly re-negotiated recording contract. Up until the very final period of Wham they were incredibly successful but saw very little money.
I think it is very hard to know much about their friendship post Wham. If we talk about George as being private that is nothing to how private Andrew is and I think his distaste for the media is considerably stronger than George's was. I hope in time he will agree to talk to a biographer if there is a serious book about George but I wouldn't bet on it.
Yes, there is no doubt that Andrew is an incredibly private person now and totally shuns the press. It was too bad for him that he lost out on making all that money when Wham broke up. But from what I have read about him now, he does have a very decent bank account thanks to royalties from Wham songs.

I m going to have to get Simon's book and read it as it sounds interesting. I too have gotten the impression for listening to George's various interviews that he and Andrew definitely shared an amazing sense of humor that others just didn't understand. GM said they purposefully did annoying things to be funny and people took them seriously. Like naming their albums "Fantastic" and "Make It Big". It must have fun to have been those two together.
Old 19th April 2017, 17:50
qp65 qp65 est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
These all sound very interesting. thanks for sharing them.

But I also want to add (not dispute anything you said) that when G decided to split Wham before they BOTH became rich, it was a pretty risky move even for George as there was no guarantee that George's solo would ever be as successful as Wham (which was considered extremely successful). it is probably the reason that George is considered to have paved a path for other boy band members to become successful solo act because it had simply not been done before. But we now know that George was even more successful with Faith, which may make this decision to split Wham look more selfish, esp to Napier Bell and his management team who thought they lost golden opportunities to make lots of money themselves. But the thing is that George was not a money driven man and was actually afraid of money due to his mom's influence. If you look at his career moves, there no indication that he ever did anything safe, whether it is about changing of music direction or taking Sony to the court.

Back to Andrew, I think George really appreciated his friend's support and had been vocal about it for many years. He also invited Andrew to join him at Rio for the c&c concert as the final Wham reunion, which, according to one of his biographies, pocketed Andrew half million $. Andrew's co-authorship on several Wham songs esp Careless Whisper, would guarantee him to continue to enjoy the royalty for many years.

But in any case, they enjoyed lifelong, amazing friendship. I have a feeling that they both probably have felt to be lucky to become friends in their life. It would be great if Andrew would write a book about Wham and George.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qp65 For This Useful Post:
bettyblue (19th April 2017), GM40fansince'89 (24th April 2017), ladyjayne (19th April 2017)
Old 19th April 2017, 18:08
Star People

Quote:
These all sound very interesting. thanks for sharing them.

But I also want to add (not dispute anything you said) that when G decided to split Wham before they BOTH became rich, it was a pretty risky move even for George as there was no guarantee that George's solo would ever be as successful as Wham (which was considered extremely successful). it is probably the reason that George is considered to have paved a path for other boy band members to become successful solo act because it had simply not been done before. But we now know that George was even more successful with Faith, which may make this decision to split Wham look more selfish, esp to Napier Bell and his management team who thought they lost golden opportunities to make lots of money themselves. But the thing is that George was not a money driven man and was actually afraid of money due to his mom's influence. If you look at his career moves, there no indication that he ever did anything safe, whether it is about changing of music direction or taking Sony to the court.

Back to Andrew, I think George really appreciated his friend's support and had been vocal about it for many years. He also invited Andrew to join him at Rio for the c&c concert as the final Wham reunion, which, according to one of his biographies, pocketed Andrew half million $. Andrew's co-authorship on several Wham songs esp Careless Whisper, would guarantee him to continue to enjoy the royalty for many years.

But in any case, they enjoyed lifelong, amazing friendship. I have a feeling that they both probably have felt to be lucky to become friends in their life. It would be great if Andrew would write a book about Wham and George.
I watched part of that Rio concert when Andrew plays with GM. On the song "I'm Your Man" near the beginning, George goes over to Andrew, puts his arm around Andrew's shoulder and says something in his ear. Then they both totally crack up. GM has the hugest smile! If I could do gif's like the other forum person could I would post it. To me it just summed up their relationship perfectly - best of friends even five years later after Wham broke up. Still connected by humor. I would love to know what GM said there that made them laugh so.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nanabug For This Useful Post:
GM40fansince'89 (24th April 2017), GMfan87' (19th April 2017)
Old 19th April 2017, 20:37
GMMegaFan GMMegaFan est déconnecté
Flawless

Andrew Ridgeley has conducted himself with so much class and dignity after George Michael's death. The genuine grief at the loss of his dear friend has been there for all to see. He did not need to defend GMs musical legacy, but has done it robustly. So heartening to see their friendship that lasted a lifetime.

As GM said they both thought WHAM! was like an apprenticeship for his solo career. Andrew let GM take control of the music composing, producing and song writing. As AR said, he stepped back from the song writing department as he felt GM did not want any help. Andrew was the catalyst for forming the band, but then settled to play second fiddle and let GM take charge. Not many guys would let somebody do that without a fight.

To then peacefully retire and walk away from the spotlight and support his friend who went on to become a superstar shows a confident guy with a big heart. As GM said, Andrew was the smart guy who chose happiness over success and fame GM could have done with a lot more of Andrew around him to keep him on track later in his career.

Last edited by GMMegaFan; 20th April 2017 at 06:42..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GMMegaFan For This Useful Post:
GM40fansince'89 (24th April 2017), Katra (19th April 2017), ladyjayne (20th April 2017), Nanabug (19th April 2017), qp65 (20th April 2017)
Old 19th April 2017, 23:14
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMegaFan View Post
Andrew Ridgeley has conducted himself with so much class and dignity after George Michael's death. The genuine grief at the loss of his dear friend has been there for all to see. He did not need to defend GMs musical legacy, but has done it robustly. So heartening to see their friendship that lasted a lifetime.

As GM said they both thought WHAM! was like an apprenticeship for his solo career. Andrew let GM take control of the music composing, producing and song writing. As AR said, he stepped back from the song writing department as he felt GM did not want any help. Andrew was the catalyst for forming the band, but then settled to play second fiddle and let GM take charge. Not many guys would let somebody do that without a fight.

To then peacefully retire and walk away from the spotlight and support his friend who went on to become a superstar shows a confident guy with a big heart. As GM said, Andrew was the smart guy who chose happiness over success and fame GM could have done with a lot more Andrew around him to keep him on track later in his career.
I agree with all of this. I have found Andrew's conduct to be the epitome of dignified loyalty. One of my favourite parts of A Different Story were the bits where he and George sit and reminisce about Wham - Andrew always with a wry twinkle, subverting the conversation when George gets too serious; describing the moment when he volunteered to take GM under his wing as a new pupil at school as the time he decided 'to ruin your life'. I think Andrew has made smart choices but people forget it hasn't all been a bed of roses for him - he wanted to be a racing driver or an actor after Wham and failed at both; I believe he was quite seriously ill in the 90's with an illness contracted from raw sewage in the sea which led to his eco-campaigning. Two articles:

http://popcultureaddict.com/music-3/andrewridgeley/

https://www.yahoo.com/music/blogs/st...201023569.html
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ladyjayne For This Useful Post:
GMfan87' (19th April 2017), GMMegaFan (20th April 2017), Nanabug (19th April 2017), silvia-yog (20th April 2017), whamhamster (29th April 2017), xfreader (24th April 2017)
Old 19th April 2017, 23:29
Star People

Quote:
I agree with all of this. I have found Andrew's conduct to be the epitome of dignified loyalty. One of my favourite parts of A Different Story were the bits where he and George sit and reminisce about Wham - Andrew always with a wry twinkle, subverting the conversation when George gets too serious; describing the moment when he volunteered to take GM under his wing as a new pupil at school as the time he decided 'to ruin your life'. I think Andrew has made smart choices but people forget it hasn't all been a bed of roses for him - he wanted to be a racing driver or an actor after Wham and failed at both; I believe he was quite seriously ill in the 90's with an illness contracted from raw sewage in the sea which led to his eco-campaigning. Two articles:

http://popcultureaddict.com/music-3/andrewridgeley/

https://www.yahoo.com/music/blogs/st...201023569.html
I too loved watching AR and GM interact on "A Different Story". I had kind of lost track of GM in all his "quiet years" so I didn't even know he had made "Different Story". So it was a happy surprise to find it after he died. He and Andrew were so cute talking together. You could just see the rapport between them! They obviously just "got" each other. And Andrew did get a wry twinkle in his eyes �� I liked when they weee talking about George's throat going out and Andrew kept joking about needing to soak his hands in ice after playing guitar and they both laughed. This must have been so hard for Andrew after GM died. The only person who could try understand the experience that was Wham. But Andrew has been the epitome of graciousness and friendship!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nanabug For This Useful Post:
GMfan87' (20th April 2017), GMMegaFan (20th April 2017)