George Michael Forums

Go Back   George Michael Forums > George Michael > News

Old 23rd April 2017, 02:47
princess princess est déconnecté
Star People

I sincerely hope George Michael's family agrees to this. George would wish for all the proceeds to go to
the various charities he supported privately in my opinion, and for his millions of fans to be given the opportunity to say goodbye but also to celebrate his wonderful music and the incredible artist that he was.
So gifted and we all loved him dearly. I along with millions of others will be devastated if it does not go ahead.

"George Michael tribute concert 'may not go ahead' as family yet to give backing."
http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrit...t-may-10277458
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to princess For This Useful Post:
GMMegaFan (23rd April 2017), neko011 (23rd April 2017)
Old 23rd April 2017, 03:00
GMfan87' GMfan87' est déconnecté
Flawless

Thanked 1,695 Times in 813 Posts

Hope so , too and your charity ideas are good ones. Wonder why Oct.? That is the month of LWP rerelease supposedly now .. Why not something for his birthday ?
Old 23rd April 2017, 03:30
SirLala SirLala est actuellement connecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess View Post
I sincerely hope George Michael's family agrees to this. George would wish for all the proceeds to go to
the various charities he supported privately in my opinion, and for his millions of fans to be given the opportunity to say goodbye but also to celebrate his wonderful music and the incredible artist that he was.
So gifted and we all loved him dearly. I along with millions of others will be devastated if it does not go ahead.

"George Michael tribute concert 'may not go ahead' as family yet to give backing."
Finally, something about his music and legacy.

I hope the family says yes, because George HAS not had an amazing tribute, well not since adele at least, this would make up for everything.
Old 23rd April 2017, 04:22
GMMegaFan GMMegaFan est déconnecté
Flawless

Thanked 2,286 Times in 701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess View Post
I really hope the family agrees to this. When in the other threads, some of us posted about the family being a little bit more considerate about the fans, some posters were saying the family does not owe anything to the fans etc.

I was astonished when Adele said initially the family and management did not want to have the Grammy tribute. Beyonce and Rihanna wanted to sing, but then they said it could go ahead only if Adele sang. Why?? What greater platform to highlight his career and reach a global audience of people esp. the younger generation. Imagine if Adele-Rihanna-Beyonce, the reigning pop queens, had sung a medley of GM songs. It shows a lack of vision on the part of the family and mgmt.

Fans are not asking for anything other than the family doing a lot more to see that GMs memory is honoured and long term his musical legacy is preserved.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GMMegaFan For This Useful Post:
alena (25th April 2017), keren_be (23rd April 2017), VigilanteMovie (23rd April 2017)
Old 23rd April 2017, 04:26
Flawless

Maybe they didn't want much to do with the music industry ? Or because it was the American Grammys and you know how things went down for GM in America ...
The Following User Says Thank You to GMfan87' For This Useful Post:
KDM (23rd April 2017)
Old 23rd April 2017, 04:27
Flawless

So glad though it was not Beyoncé ( makes everything about her , overexposed ) or IMO not much of a voice Rhianna
Ibiza76 (23rd April 2017)
Old 23rd April 2017, 04:31
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfan87' View Post
Maybe they didn't want much to do with the music industry ? Or because it was the American Grammys and you know how things went down for GM in America ...
And yet, he still solidified as a legend in america, he still has very loyal fan base where I'm from.
The Following User Says Thank You to SirLala For This Useful Post:
keren_be (23rd April 2017)
Old 23rd April 2017, 06:23
Flawless

Quote:
So glad though it was not Beyoncé ( makes everything about her , overexposed ) or IMO not much of a voice Rhianna
Grammys might be based in America, but it is a huge global event. GM liked Beyonce a lot. Praised her in his tweets and made an appearance at one of her concerts in London and sang "If I were a boy" with her. GM covered Rihanna's "Russian Roulette" and spoke of her as a good singer. I remember him saying both Rihanna and Lady Gaga were bringing dance music into mainstream pop music.
His words about the younger generation were endearing. I think early on he said he liked Chris Martin. He was unstinting in his praise of Amy Winehouse and said he was in awe and thought she was one of the best vocalists to come out of Britain. If he had collaborated with these younger stars as Elton did with him back in the day, the younger generations would have seen what a great singer he was. He was working with Mark Ronson to write a song and sing a duet with Amy when she passed away I think.
Old 23rd April 2017, 06:53
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMegaFan View Post
Grammys might be based in America, but it is a huge global event. GM liked Beyonce a lot. Praised her in his tweets and made an appearance at one of her concerts in London and sang "If I were a boy" with her. GM covered Rihanna's "Russian Roulette" and spoke of her as a good singer. I remember him saying both Rihanna and Lady Gaga were bringing dance music into mainstream pop music.
His words about the younger generation were endearing. I think early on he said he liked Chris Martin. He was unstinting in his praise of Amy Winehouse and said he was in awe and thought she was one of the best vocalists to come out of Britain. If he had collaborated with these younger stars as Elton did with him back in the day, the younger generations would have seen what a great singer he was. He was working with Mark Ronson to write a song and sing a duet with Amy when she passed away I think.
The younger generation including myself know George Michael and his legacy, Hell in my college in Oklahoma, his music was played throughout the week when I came back from Christmas break, He was still mostly known in America, That why he got a tribute at the Grammys. It just a shame his family wouldn't let other artists do the tribute, I understand George did not have a great relations with the states after the 90's but he STILL had loyal fans over here, It just feels like a big slap in the face for the American fans.
The Following User Says Thank You to SirLala For This Useful Post:
GMMegaFan (23rd April 2017)
Old 23rd April 2017, 06:57
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLala View Post
The younger generation including myself know George Michael and his legacy, Hell in my college in Oklahoma, his music was played throughout the week when I came back from Christmas break, He was still mostly known in America, That why he got a tribute at the Grammys. It just a shame his family wouldn't let other artists do the tribute, I understand George did not have a great relations with the states after the 90's but he STILL had loyal fans over here, It just feels like a big slap in the face for the American fans.
GM has devoted fans all around the world including the USA and he knew it. Good to hear college kids are listening to him. In my experience, the younger lot know very little about him.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GMMegaFan For This Useful Post:
GMfan87' (23rd April 2017), SirLala (23rd April 2017)
Old 23rd April 2017, 07:07
Flawless

I know he said he liked Beyoncé, I used to more with Destiny's Child . I did catch him singing " If I Were Boy" ( like that song) and I was surprised he showed up there and what a huge response he got , that was very nice to see. Yes it is good he recognized some of the younger singers . I just don't feel either of those would of been fitting for a tribute to him . Adele has the voice and the Brit connection and she was a fan but her choice of Fast Love and slowing it down like that was so depressing . The thing I liked best but broke my heart to see was the video , beautiful images chosen by David Austin.
Old 23rd April 2017, 07:11
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLala View Post
Glad to hear this !! I hear you but the family might have known George's feelings and leaned away from doing Grammys because of that. Who knows .. At least he did get a tribute which he deserved to .
Old 23rd April 2017, 07:14
Flawless

Quote:
I know he said he liked Beyoncé, I used to more with Destiny's Child . I did catch him singing " If I Were Boy" ( like that song) and I was surprised he showed up there and what a huge response he got , that was very nice to see. Yes it is good he recognized some of the younger singers . I just don't feel either of those would of been fitting for a tribute to him . Adele has the voice and the Brit connection and she was a fan but her choice of Fast Love and slowing it down like that was so depressing . The thing I liked best but broke my heart to see was the video , beautiful images chosen by David Austin.
When I first heard Adele's almost funeral song like version of Fast Love, I didnt like it. But since then, I have come to like the kind of melancholic effect the song has. Same with Chris Martin's Different Corner. Listening to it live, like everybody else was tweeting, I thought why is he murdering this beautiful song. But later I kind of like his rough singing of the song as compared to GMs highly nuanced, smooth singing. The respect both of them had for GM really came through.
Old 23rd April 2017, 07:18
Flawless

Quote:
Glad to hear this !! I hear you but the family might have known George's feelings and leaned away from doing Grammys because of that. Who knows .. At least he did get a tribute which he deserved to .
GM always said he thought that he had a million fans in America who were devoted to him and bought his records, inspite of not having much exposure there. I think he was grateful for that and he had very warm feelings for Americans, just not the authorities
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GMMegaFan For This Useful Post:
keren_be (23rd April 2017), lynzpie (26th April 2017)
Old 23rd April 2017, 07:23
Flawless

I think at the time it was all too fresh for me and I have been unable to view it again since . I will try again , I understand she took a song that she started being a fan because of . The lyrics , too are actually sad in many ways , it reminded me too much of his downfall. As for Martin , I liked that tribute. It was very moving to see his old Wham! pals especially Andrew paying tribute and Martin was appropriate as I heard GM was a Coldplay fan. Of course his voice isn't a very good one and A Different Corner is a tough one to cover but all in all well done . Didn't you love the end , how they blended their voices ? Touching . Chris Martin looked like he was tearing up .