George Michael Forums

Go Back   George Michael Forums > George Michael > News

Old 24th April 2017, 18:39
Ibiza76 Ibiza76 est déconnecté
Star People

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMegaFan View Post
Freddie died on Nov 24, 1991. The concert was held on April 20, 1992. It was held 5 months later approx. Even though it has been 4 months since George Michael passed away, the funeral took place less than a month ago. These concerts take a lot of time and logistics to organize. Should it be a smaller affair held at the Royal Albert Hall or a big one at say the Wembley Stadium or Earls Court (venue of GMs last concert)?

Also I think there are some great singers out there especially of the older generation who can be part of this concert. One would think of the older generation Stevie Wonder, Mariah Carey, Lionel Richie, KD Lang, Elton John, Sting. Lisa Stansfield, Bob Geldof, Bono, Duran Duran, Boy George, Annie Lennox, Mutya Buena, Toby Burke and others would come. Of the younger lot Adele, Chris Martin, Robbie Williams, Gary Barlow, Sam Smith, Ed Sheeran, Bruno Mars, Lily Allen. Katy Perry, Carrie Underwood ??

Back in the day did anybody think GM would be the star of the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert? A few singers could surprise us. If reports are to be believed, Dame Esther Rantzen(Childline) has been talking about this Tribute Concert without first talking to the family? I would think the family would not like one person or organization to do this. If there is going to be a tribute concert they would want to be the main people making the plans and deciding which charities should benefit. I think that is fair.
Earls Court has been knocked down, Wembley Arena would be better. Please though Gary Barlow..he never even tweeted a single thing when George died. Bob Geldof and Lily Allen in particular are a disgrace with their political outbursts. I would love to see lots of LGBT artists perform, Adam Lambert, Sam Smith etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ibiza76 For This Useful Post:
GMMegaFan (24th April 2017), SirLala (25th April 2017)
Old 24th April 2017, 18:47
GMMegaFan GMMegaFan est actuellement connecté
Flawless

Thanked 1,153 Times in 366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibiza76 View Post
Earls Court has been knocked down, Wembley Arena would be better. Please though Gary Barlow..he never even tweeted a single thing when George died. Bob Geldof and Lily Allen in particular are a disgrace with their political outbursts. I would love to see lots of LGBT artists perform, Adam Lambert, Sam Smith etc.
Did Gary Barlow have some tiff going on with GM? I thought it was odd he did not tweet anything when GM passed away too. I think Gary spoke glowingly about GM in the early days. He was thought of as the next GM at one time wasnt he? He tweeted something very complimentary when GMs "Let Her Down Easy" came out I remember
The Following User Says Thank You to GMMegaFan For This Useful Post:
Ibiza76 (24th April 2017)
Old 24th April 2017, 19:34
VigilanteMovie VigilanteMovie est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
Did Gary Barlow have some tiff going on with GM? I thought it was odd he did not tweet anything when GM passed away too. I think Gary spoke glowingly about GM in the early days. He was thought of as the next GM at one time wasnt he? He tweeted something very complimentary when GMs "Let Her Down Easy" came out I remember
In an interview, I think in the late 90s, George said "Gary Barlow's got no f****n talent", or words to that effect. He was clearly annoyed that journalists were implying that his biggest impact was to influence boyband singers to go solo. He had a point too. To say Gary Barlow (and I don't think he's talentless) was "the new GM" would be to seriously underappreciate the depth of George's talent, particularly the massive soul/R&B element innate in him.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VigilanteMovie For This Useful Post:
Ibiza76 (24th April 2017), Mortisha (7th May 2017)
Old 24th April 2017, 21:16
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigilanteMovie View Post
In an interview, I think in the late 90s, George said "Gary Barlow's got no f****n talent", or words to that effect. He was clearly annoyed that journalists were implying that his biggest impact was to influence boyband singers to go solo. He had a point too. To say Gary Barlow (and I don't think he's talentless) was "the new GM" would be to seriously underappreciate the depth of George's talent, particularly the massive soul/R&B element innate in him.
I am not saying it, far from it. The press used to write along those lines back in the day
Old 24th April 2017, 21:57
VigilanteMovie VigilanteMovie est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
I am not saying it, far from it. The press used to write along those lines back in the day
I know you're not. It would have been around the time Take That split up and Barlow went on an unsuccessful solo career. I always felt it was a bit cruel of George to say it whether he thought it or not, because Barlow was definitely a big fan of his. But I'd have been annoyed by the comparison too if I was him.
Old 24th April 2017, 23:28
ladyjayne ladyjayne est actuellement connecté
Flawless

Thanked 1,092 Times in 332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigilanteMovie View Post
I know you're not. It would have been around the time Take That split up and Barlow went on an unsuccessful solo career. I always felt it was a bit cruel of George to say it whether he thought it or not, because Barlow was definitely a big fan of his. But I'd have been annoyed by the comparison too if I was him.
I'm not a huge Barlow fan but it's a bit patronising to dismiss the comparison isn't it? Barlow's shifted about 50million records in his own/Take That right but also written very successfully for a lot of other people, and he's a successful producer. He and GM tie on 6 Ivor Novello awards each, don't they? As song writers, though Barlow is less to my taste, it's hard to argue he isn't in the big league.
Old 24th April 2017, 23:34
SirLala SirLala est actuellement connecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjayne View Post
I'm not a huge Barlow fan but it's a bit patronising to dismiss the comparison isn't it? Barlow's shifted about 50million records in his own/Take That right but also written very successfully for a lot of other people, and he's a successful producer. He and GM tie on 6 Ivor Novello awards each, don't they? As song writers, though Barlow is less to my taste, it's hard to argue he isn't in the big league.
Barlow doesn't have any grammys... George Wins
Old 25th April 2017, 01:32
WhamMan WhamMan est déconnecté

I don't think George often put his foot in it with his musical critiques. But the Barlow critism was unfair. First of all because Barlow had previously made it clear he was a big George fan. And secondly because it's just plain wrong. His early stuff was naff. But as the years have gone by the guy has finely honed his abilities and writes stuff as good as anyone else. Apart from George of course
The Following User Says Thank You to WhamMan For This Useful Post:
Heidi1 (25th April 2017)
Old 25th April 2017, 02:24
Parklife Parklife est actuellement connecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamMan View Post
I don't think George often put his foot in it with his musical critiques. But the Barlow critism was unfair. First of all because Barlow had previously made it clear he was a big George fan. And secondly because it's just plain wrong. His early stuff was naff. But as the years have gone by the guy has finely honed his abilities and writes stuff as good as anyone else. Apart from George of course
George did try to make amends though (as he knew he was out of order) and publicly apologised to Gary on air as i remember. He said he just blurted it out in an interview because the interviewer was giving him a hard time and he was in a bad mood! So i guess he at least had the grace to put his hands up and say sorry! Something i don't think I've ever seen of anyone who has criticised George!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Parklife For This Useful Post:
bettyblue (25th April 2017), GMfan87' (25th April 2017), GMMegaFan (25th April 2017), Ibiza76 (25th April 2017), lynzpie (26th April 2017), Toto (25th April 2017), VigilanteMovie (25th April 2017)
Old 25th April 2017, 02:43
qp65 qp65 est déconnecté
Flawless

When I first listened to Barlow, I thought I would become a fan. He has a good voice too. However, after listening to a few songs, it seemed to be a bit boring. To me, his many ballads, although sounded great individually, would become a bit dull if one continues to hear them for a while.
Based on Wikipedia, Barlow was the main songwriter one the first few albums of Take That, but their later outputs were written by the group.
In any case, I am still a bit surprised by George's blunt, unflattering comment on Barlow as it seemed to be out of character of him.
The Following User Says Thank You to qp65 For This Useful Post:
empty charms (29th April 2017)
Old 25th April 2017, 02:55
bettyblue bettyblue est actuellement connecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parklife View Post
George did try to make amends though (as he knew he was out of order) and publicly apologised to Gary on air as i remember. He said he just blurted it out in an interview because the interviewer was giving him a hard time and he was in a bad mood! So i guess he at least had the grace to put his hands up and say sorry! Something i don't think I've ever seen of anyone who has criticised George!
Yes, and he had done the same in 2003, when he previously dismissed in his HardTalk interview - quite bluntly, actually - a project of young artists (Lee Ryan of Blue, Justin Timberlake, Pink, and Kylie Minogue among others) who were rumoured to want to put together a sort of "new Band Aid", that time against war and not against famine:

"I'm begging, I'm hoping that there will not be a Band Aid 2 because the reality is that very, very few people in the industry now that you're hearing on the radio make their money from their own hearts and minds. They make their money from singing the words of others, and so therefore the weight of something called Band Aid 2 would be incredibly slight."

I remember that he then apologized in another interview, perhaps the Sold On Song one, regretting those words.

Er ... perhaps all of that should be at home in the "Falling out with people" thread, though ...
The Following User Says Thank You to bettyblue For This Useful Post:
VigilanteMovie (25th April 2017)
Old 25th April 2017, 03:27
GMfan87' GMfan87' est déconnecté
Flawless

He was actually speaking the truth though . I'm not surprised he said these things at all , this was the very impression I had of him during Faith time. He would say snarky things and they tended to be spot on but it was surprising as people in the industry don't do that generally in interviews.
The Following User Says Thank You to GMfan87' For This Useful Post:
VigilanteMovie (25th April 2017)
Old 25th April 2017, 04:08
Flawless

Is this a phase GM went through? He said something uncomplimentary about Will Young's lisp and then apologised. I dont know what he actually said, but I remember hearing his apology in an interview.
During the pre-Symphonica interview in reply to a question, he said something harmless about Take That being everywhere and I remember the English newspapers took it out of context and put a negative spin on it.
I was puzzled by Barlow not saying anything when GM passed away and wanted to check why, but never did. Now I know. I had a couple of followers/friends on Twitter who are mad Take That and Gary Barlow fans. After GM passed away and my tweets about him, they have turned rather chilly towards me and dont tweet asking about this and that. Now I know why
Kenny Goss in one of those documentaries mentioned that GM was very direct and he would say things that were like "boom", shot in the chest.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GMMegaFan For This Useful Post:
GMfan87' (25th April 2017), SirLala (25th April 2017), xfreader (25th April 2017)
Old 25th April 2017, 04:24
SirLala SirLala est actuellement connecté
Flawless

Quote:
Is this a phase GM went through? He said something uncomplimentary about Will Young's lisp and then apologised. I dont know what he actually said, but I remember hearing his apology in an interview.
During the pre-Symphonica interview in reply to a question, he said something harmless about Take That being everywhere and I remember the English newspapers took it out of context and put a negative spin on it.
I was puzzled by Barlow not saying anything when GM passed away and wanted to check why, but never did. Now I know. I had a couple of followers/friends on Twitter who are mad Take That and Gary Barlow fans. After GM passed away and my tweets about him, they have turned rather chilly towards me and dont tweet asking about this and that. Now I know why
Kenny Goss in one of those documentaries mentioned that GM was very direct and he would say things that were like "boom", shot in the chest.
And he can stay pressed, knowing George will always be more remembered, how tragic...
Old 25th April 2017, 08:31
ladyjayne ladyjayne est actuellement connecté
Flawless

Thanked 1,092 Times in 332 Posts

Quote:
Actually he did talk about GM after his death - not everyone thinks twitter is the appropriate way to convey their views on every issue!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/g...cowell-9576824
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ladyjayne For This Useful Post:
freeek (25th April 2017), GMfan87' (25th April 2017), GMMegaFan (25th April 2017), GoodFairy (25th April 2017), Ibiza76 (25th April 2017), lynzpie (26th April 2017)