Go Back   George Michael Forums > George Michael > News

Old 11th April 2017, 16:02
GMfan87' GMfan87' est déconnecté
Flawless

Thanked 1,133 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeforever View Post
I got a reply from Channel 5

When the Channel 5 programme "The Last Days of George Michael" aired on Thursday 23/03/17, I wrote a post here expressing my views.

Contrary to its title, instead of talking about the last days of George, the Channel 5 programme featured the likes of the Sun Editor and Carole Malone focusing - for a large part of the programme - on George's "scandals" and being utterly disrespectful (even though the channel had claimed that they would talk to George's "nearest and dearest").

Another member here gave me the idea of actually writing to the channel.

Well, I took that advice and I emailed Channel 5, more or less writing what I had written in my post here.

They replied to me quite quickly. But their reply just goes to show their mentality and their way of approaching an issue. Basically, they do not admit that they spoke about scandals for a disproportionately long time in their programme.

I am quoting their reply below so that you can see how they justify themselves:

REPLY FROM CHANNEL 5:
Guess they are issuing standard response , same one I got back.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GMfan87' For This Useful Post:
Georgeforever (11th April 2017), GoodFairy (11th April 2017)
Old 11th April 2017, 16:11
Georgeforever Georgeforever est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfan87' View Post
Guess they are issuing standard response , same one I got back.
That is interesting.

So basically, what they wrote to me:
"The Last Days of George Michael was a measured account of the days preceding his death in December, and of his musical career and his personal life"
is what they probably write to everyone else!

Nice practice for Channel 5: First you prepare a scandal-mongering programme about an artist who has not even been buried yet (he wasn't at the time) and then you prepare a template to answer any complaints from the viewers.
They take the word "disrespect" to new levels.

Last edited by Georgeforever; 11th April 2017 at 16:49..
Old 11th April 2017, 16:14
Hollylove Hollylove est déconnecté
Flawless

When I was referring to WW3 - I wasn't talking about Fadi !!! - Really it was about the political situation and imminent wars.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hollylove For This Useful Post:
GoodFairy (11th April 2017)
Old 11th April 2017, 16:53
Nanabug Nanabug est déconnecté
Flawless

I just watched that clip of him "in bed with Paula" last night and he was jut darling in it!!! So sweet and flirtatious. So different than the GM of later years. Anyone know what year he did that? They kept showing clips of "I Want Your Sex" but his hair looked more like pre-Faith.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nanabug For This Useful Post:
Hollylove (11th April 2017)
VigilanteMovie VigilanteMovie est actuellement connecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMegaFan View Post
That's a nice long interview I'd never seen before. Thanks.

The talk earlier about George having the mouth operation back in the late 80s reminded me that I'd originally read about that in Bare, which I still think is essential reading for George Michael fans because obviously it gives the perspectives of not just George but also those closest to him during those "glory years".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VigilanteMovie For This Useful Post:
GMMegaFan (11th April 2017), GoodFairy (11th April 2017)
Parklife Parklife est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyPost View Post
Can you please identify which radio interview this? Thank you.
Emily, I believe this one is LBC (James o Brien) from 2012.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Parklife For This Useful Post:
EmilyPost (11th April 2017), GMMegaFan (11th April 2017)
Old 11th April 2017, 17:09
qp65 qp65 est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMegaFan View Post
Thanks for posting the link. I just listened to it while reading my other papers, and will probably listen it more carefully later.

What a fantastic interview! The interviewer was asking good questions. A couple of things stood out for me.

His self explanation about why his fame in the US faded: his "rejection" of fame was considered blasphemy of American dream; then he was non-apologetic about the LA incidence; more homophobic environment in the US. Recently I heard someone said that when Older was out, there weren't enough hard copies available in many stores, and his singles were not played on radio except Jesus To A Child, which reached no.6 here.

Another thing struck me is his analyses about American democracy: although people get a chance to vote for practical everything, but the liberals tended to be weak and not to vote, while the rights are much tougher and participate in voting. I agree with the analyses and am again amazed at his intelligence.

His take on the difference btw male and female about marriage, monogamy is interesting. As a straight female, I certainly think we want monogamy after a couple get married. I was wondering how straight males think about GM's comments on this.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qp65 For This Useful Post:
bettyblue (11th April 2017), Georgeforever (11th April 2017), GMMegaFan (11th April 2017), VigilanteMovie (11th April 2017)
Old 11th April 2017, 17:10
Parklife Parklife est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeforever View Post
That is interesting.

So basically, what they wrote to me:
"The Last Days of George Michael was a measured account of the days preceding his death in December, and of his musical career and his personal life"
is what they probably write to everyone else!

Nice practice for Channel 5: First you prepare a scandal-mongering programme about an artist who has not even been buried yet (he wasn't at the time) and then you prepare a template to answer any complaints from the viewers.
They take the word "disrespect" to new levels.
It's what we all expected from ch 5 though. It's just tabloid journalism on TV. I was annoyed by it but not surprised. What really got me though was the hypocritical and thoroughly unpleasant Carole Malone. She criticised him throughout and then at the end pretended she had changed her mind about him because of his charity work.....absolute rubbish....as someone else noted pages ago she was the person who in 1998 repeatedly called him a pervert "despite" his charity work. She has been one of his worst critics and didnt even know him....none of them on that programme did. Excuse my language but "measured" my arse!

Last edited by Parklife; 11th April 2017 at 17:26..
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Parklife For This Useful Post:
Georgeforever (11th April 2017), GMfan87' (11th April 2017), GoodFairy (11th April 2017), KDM (12th April 2017), lynzpie (11th April 2017), pas1974 (12th April 2017), snoopy (12th April 2017), Toto (11th April 2017), VigilanteMovie (11th April 2017)
Old 11th April 2017, 17:15
Hollylove Hollylove est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabug View Post
I just watched that clip of him "in bed with Paula" last night and he was jut darling in it!!! So sweet and flirtatious. So different than the GM of later years. Anyone know what year he did that? They kept showing clips of "I Want Your Sex" but his hair looked more like pre-Faith.

I'm sure George could be a flirt when in the mood - he always had a cheeky and devilish air about him. Especially when he embraced his gay life style. In the Paul Yates nterview he appeared quite bashful and caught a bit off guard by her direct questioning as she wasn't going to pass over any of his coded replies...bless him. The Paul Yates interview was 1987
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hollylove For This Useful Post:
GMfan87' (11th April 2017), Nanabug (11th April 2017)
Old 11th April 2017, 17:27
bettyblue bettyblue est déconnecté
Flawless

Thanked 1,280 Times in 431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by qp65 View Post
Thanks for posting the link. I just listened to it while reading my other papers, and will probably listen it more carefully later.
What a fantastic interview! The interviewer was asking good questions.
Indeed. Then again, John Norris in his interviews always asked him interesting questions which stimulated George's intelligence in a beautiful, constructive way.

I remember a 2012 tweet where George quite fondly, and somewhat out of the blue, asked himself, remembering those excellent interviews, about Norris:

https://twitter.com/GeorgeMichael/st...88982687383552

Norris was interviewed by Billboard when George died; it's worth a read:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...ris-interviews
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bettyblue For This Useful Post:
GMfan87' (11th April 2017), JLNRiddick (12th April 2017), xfreader (12th April 2017)
Old 11th April 2017, 17:28
Georgeforever Georgeforever est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parklife View Post
I What really got me though was the hypocritical and thoroughly unpleasant Carole Malone. She criticised him throughout and then at the end pretended she had changed her mind about him because of his charity work.....absolute rubbish....as someone else noted pages ago she was the person who in 1998 repeatedly called him a pervert "despite" his charity work. She has been one of his worst critics and didnt even know him....
Thank you for your whole post! Your comments on Carole Malone are spot on.
Yes I wrote about her in my initial post regarding the Channel 5 documentary.

You can see how she used to speak about George in the past here:
"Carole Malone Column: Not a pervert, George? That's being charitable..."
https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Carol......-a060651827
Besides, in the documentary she doesn't really change her mind. As you say, only at the end she pretends to do so.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Georgeforever For This Useful Post:
Parklife (11th April 2017), xfreader (12th April 2017)
Old 11th April 2017, 18:55
VigilanteMovie VigilanteMovie est actuellement connecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by qp65 View Post

What a fantastic interview! The interviewer was asking good questions. A couple of things stood out for me.

His self explanation about why his fame in the US faded: his "rejection" of fame was considered blasphemy of American dream; then he was non-apologetic about the LA incidence; more homophobic environment in the US. Recently I heard someone said that when Older was out, there weren't enough hard copies available in many stores, and his singles were not played on radio except Jesus To A Child, which reached no.6 here.

Another thing struck me is his analyses about American democracy: although people get a chance to vote for practical everything, but the liberals tended to be weak and not to vote, while the rights are much tougher and participate in voting. I agree with the analyses and am again amazed at his intelligence.

His take on the difference btw male and female about marriage, monogamy is interesting. As a straight female, I certainly think we want monogamy after a couple get married. I was wondering how straight males think about GM's comments on this.
It was a really great interview. George is such a thinking person, is there another mainstream pop artist who comes across as being so intelligent as him? I've been watching Wham! interviews too and honestly it would seem crazy, even cruel, to expect the likes of One Direction to be so articulate and mature, yet they're probably older than George was at the time.

I think JTAC and Fastlove were both top 10 singles in America, which is why it's surprising to me that they don't seem very well remembered.

He makes a lot of sense to me when he talks about the monogamy differences. I'm a straight male and it's obvious that the only sexual relationship that can work with a girlfriend/wife is a monogamous one. But in an all-male partnership a polygamous relationship can work, if they mutually consent of course, because men recognise each other's constant desire for no-strings-attached sex, with no emotional involvement necessary.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VigilanteMovie For This Useful Post:
bettyblue (11th April 2017), Georgeforever (11th April 2017), GMfan87' (11th April 2017), GMMegaFan (11th April 2017), Nanabug (11th April 2017)
Old 11th April 2017, 19:01
ladyjayne ladyjayne est actuellement connecté
Flawless

Thanked 1,974 Times in 576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parklife View Post
Suspect he would say "for gods sake Fadi... shut the F**k up for you own sake"

He's not helping himself- not least by wishing ill on journalists childten, albeit maybe in jest, it isn't very nice!

The press are loving his reactions and he has fallen into their trap. He is fuelling the fire by doing this and frankly he should know that by now so either it's deliberate or he really is not very bright at all.
I'll probably get it in the neck for saying, but George had appalling taste in men, given he surely must have had his pick. Neither this one nor Kenny were very bright to say the least. At least Kenny seemed more amiable.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ladyjayne For This Useful Post:
GMMegaFan (11th April 2017), JLNRiddick (12th April 2017)
Old 11th April 2017, 19:07
ladyjayne ladyjayne est actuellement connecté
Flawless

Thanked 1,974 Times in 576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigilanteMovie View Post
It was a really great interview. George is such a thinking person, is there another mainstream pop artist who comes across as being so intelligent as him? I've been watching Wham! interviews too and honestly it would seem crazy, even cruel, to expect the likes of One Direction to be so articulate and mature, yet they're probably older than George was at the time.

I think JTAC and Fastlove were both top 10 singles in America, which is why it's surprising to me that they don't seem very well remembered.

He makes a lot of sense to me when he talks about the monogamy differences. I'm a straight male and it's obvious that the only sexual relationship that can work with a girlfriend/wife is a monogamous one. But in an all-male partnership a polygamous relationship can work, if they mutually consent of course, because men recognise each other's constant desire for no-strings-attached sex, with no emotional involvement necessary.
Impossible to generalise but I don't believe this at all for most people whatever their gender or sexuality. Lots of men (and quite a few women!) like no strings sex for themselves but aren't so keen when their partner gets up to it. I think that goes for straight and gay men alike. Statistically, very few 'open' relationships survive - his didn't. Still, it's an interesting debate and I admire him for at least confronting it head on - but I'm highly skeptical that Kenny was as sanguine about George's cruising as GM made out (which he slightly acknowledged by the reference to giving him £1m so he had no room to complain!)
The Following User Says Thank You to ladyjayne For This Useful Post:
Katra (11th April 2017)
Old 11th April 2017, 19:29
EmilyPost EmilyPost est déconnecté
#######

Thanked 25,863 Times in 7,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjayne View Post
I'll probably get it in the neck for saying, but George had appalling taste in men, given he surely must have had his pick. Neither this one nor Kenny were very bright to say the least. At least Kenny seemed more amiable.
Ok I'll bite. Why do you think Kenny is not so bright?