George Michael Forums

Go Back   George Michael Forums > George Michael > News > George Michael mention on the Net

Old 6th November 2015, 12:39
Onef*ckfantasy Onef*ckfantasy est déconnecté

Thanked 1,306 Times in 511 Posts

Apologies again for mixing you up with another member, Parklife. By anyone's standards, 32 years is a mighty long time!!

I agree new material is needed. I'm not sure how many more times I can hear those old songs, with the exception perhaps of A Different Corner, which always seems to retain its appeal for me. The only way I'd want to hear the back catalogue is if GM chose to do some shows performing albums such as LWP and Older in full. Personally I would prefer GM to switch from stadiums to theatres or similar-sized venues. I am not holding my breath thoughn- his health problems seem to be enduring.
The Following User Says Thank You to Onef*ckfantasy For This Useful Post:
Parklife (6th November 2015)
Old 6th November 2015, 12:46
Parklife Parklife est déconnecté
Flawless

One last thing....at least he isn't doing the "revival of the 80's" tour like all the other bands from the 80's are currently doing. He may be a "joke" to many people but I'd like to think that the public are intelligent enough to realise that he is actually quite a talented (albeit flawed) chap who isn't a one trick pony.

Mmmmm....It could all have been so different if he were stronger emotionally (but then again if he were his music would probably have been different too - guess you can't have it all).
Old 6th November 2015, 12:56
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onef*ckfantasy View Post
Apologies again for mixing you up with another member, Parklife. By anyone's standards, 32 years is a mighty long time!!

I agree new material is needed. I'm not sure how many more times I can hear those old songs, with the exception perhaps of A Different Corner, which always seems to retain its appeal for me. The only way I'd want to hear the back catalogue is if GM chose to do some shows performing albums such as LWP and Older in full. Personally I would prefer GM to switch from stadiums to theatres or similar-sized venues. I am not holding my breath thoughn- his health problems seem to be enduring.
I agree. I'd like to see more intimate shows. I was watching a video of the Faith tour (leaked Rotterdam one) the other day and although full on entertainment, that's not what i want. I want to hear him sing and lose himself in the music...and when he does that the audience does too. George and audience become one (corny i know, but when that happens it's magical). I really admire his ability to be able to do that - that is a gift. Unfortunately such small intimate gigs would, without doubt, sell out in a nano second. Lets see what 2016 brings...come on 33 years.
Old 6th November 2015, 14:26
HSL HSL est déconnecté

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onef*ckfantasy View Post
I don't think he'd sell out a world tour or a stadium as quickly as you think.
He could and he's proved it.* Nothing more to say on that.

As he seems older and wiser now i don't think big world tours would be his thing now.* Other artists still do it because they are probably skint and need the money but George doesn't. He has nothing to prove. George has said himself he would like to do more smaller venue stuff.

Personally, given how critical he can be of his own image, I would not be too concerned if he never performed live again. His skills set and strength is, and has always been, song writing and music production.* That would be enough for me.

With regards to his issues and coming out as Gay having a negative impact on his career (Piers article) one could argue these 'issues' resulted in some of his best work.* If he was an average Joe Blogs he would have nothing interesting going on and would have been forgotten by now e.g. Paul Young (whom I used to be a massive fan of).
Old 6th November 2015, 14:42
HSL HSL est déconnecté

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
Not dealing with his personnel issues and masking the pain with drugs and an unhealthy hedonistic lifestyle ruined Georges career, period. So much unrealised potential
Some wild assumptions there BIG.

These 'issues' probably produced his best work.
Old 6th November 2015, 15:51
Onef*ckfantasy Onef*ckfantasy est déconnecté

Thanked 1,306 Times in 511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSL View Post
He could and he's proved it.* Nothing more to say on that.
He last launched a major concert tour four years ago. That's a long time by anyone's standards, let alone in music. So you can't be sure. Time will tell when or if he goes out on the road again.

I would also disagree that his live work was second to his recorded material. One of the defining factors of GM's success was that he could replicate his vocals live; that he sounded as good if not better on stage as he did on record.

Last edited by Onef*ckfantasy; 6th November 2015 at 16:22..
Old 6th November 2015, 16:37
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by qp65 View Post
I was wondering if GM were straight, what his status would have been even with all the attics. He would have likely been viewed as another superstar somehow at his lost weekends, which would have soon been forgotten. But in George's case, it seems to me that almost every article about him, the LA incidence is a must-to-be-mentioned story although it happened 17 years ago (and nobody got hurt). His audacity against Bush and Blair about invasion of Iraq was viewed as being foolish or how dare he express his political review, in contrast to some previous acts hailed as deep thinkers or leaders against establishments. It is hard to not get depressed for anyone by the obvious bias and ignorance. There is probably some truth that some media like the Sun wants to destroy him completely. Fortunately, the public esp in the UK and Europe have got it right and have stood by him during the last 30 years. This alone is an impressive feat considering the long gaps btw his outputs esp during the last 12 years. This speaks about GM's talent and also indicates that many people are actually quite smart including many of us on this forum.
I think if he was straight and got caught with his pants down it would have been different. The old sex drugs and rock n roll adage. No one goes on much about the old rockers like Jagger for example with their numerous extra marital affairs etc. The fact it was a gay sex act made it much more memorable because he'd been in the closet for 15 years and the press were ****ed that he would never answer their questions about his sexuality...so they were out to get him anyway. Plus homophobia was more rife back then and papers could more easily get away with saying the stuff they did.

That said George has been his own worst enemy. I remember the Parkie interview where he said that he was going to talk about LA so that he didn't have to talk about it again in the future. If he had left it there and gone on doing what he did albeit in "private" then I suspect we wouldn't hear about it all the time. But no...he continued to talk about LA, cruising and much more as well - and because of that he sustained the interest in that side of his life such that it started to define him when it should just have been an "incident" that could have been moved on from. And now - well it's difficult to get back to where he was even if there are no more "incidents". Then there are the drugs...which is a separate issue from being gay so i'll leave it there for now.

Given all this the longevity of his career is remarkable - and clearly, intelligent people do see his talent beyond all the smoke...I just hope we get a few years of him keeping his mouth shut and getting on with his life in private and maybe if he does that we may get some decent music too.
Old 6th November 2015, 17:52
HSL HSL est déconnecté

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parklife View Post
he'd been in the closet for 15 years
Wrong Parklife. He came out in 1990 when he knew for certain he was a Gay man.

Just because he didn't call you up and tell you personally does not mean he was in the closet.
Old 6th November 2015, 18:14
Flawless

Quote:
Wrong Parklife. He came out in 1990 when he knew for certain he was a Gay man.

Just because he didn't call you up and tell you personally does not mean he was in the closet.
My point HSL, if I could be so bold as to disagree, was he came out publicly in 1998 - as you well know. He also only came out to his parents in 1993 when Anselmo died - so by any standards I think you are still "in the closet" if you haven't told your mum and dad. Prior to Anselmo he was so far in he was probably in Narnia!!
Old 6th November 2015, 18:23
HSL HSL est déconnecté

Quote:
My point HSL, if I could be so bold as to disagree, was he came out publicly in 1998 - as you well know. He also only came out to his parents in 1993 when Anselmo died - so by any standards I think you are still "in the closet" if you haven't told your mum and dad. Prior to Anselmo he was so far in he was probably in Narnia!!
It's about definition.* Personally I think you come out when you tell your nearest and dearest (he told Andros/Andrew/Shirley in 1990).* Moreover, I think the Older Album (1996) outed him which is what he wanted subconsciously.* He's too stubborn to announce it to world directly.* Depending on your definition we are both right.
Old 6th November 2015, 18:45
Flawless

Quote:
It's about definition.* Personally I think you come out when you tell your nearest and dearest (he told Andros/Andrew/Shirley in 1990).* Moreover, I think the Older Album (1996) outed him which is what he wanted subconsciously.* He's too stubborn to announce it to world directly.* Depending on your definition we are both right.
Agree it comes down to definition...but you know how I like to be precise! So...He told Andrew and Shirley and his sister Melanie in 1982 (when he was 19) but only told Andros in 1988 (when he was 25). Told his parents in 1993 (when he was 29/30). Agree it was fairly obvious in 1996 with Older, but Tony Parsons had effectively outed him in the Daily Mirror before then anyway (which is why they fell out!). Then it was all well and truly confirmed in 1998 when it became beyond doubt and we heard it from the horses mouth!

So, maybe we can agree that he slowly crept out of that big closet inch by inch!...but was given a big shove in 1998.
The Following User Says Thank You to Parklife For This Useful Post:
cowboysandangels (6th November 2015)
Old 6th November 2015, 18:50
HSL HSL est déconnecté

Quote:
Agree it comes down to definition...but you know how I like to be precise! So...He told Andrew and Shirley and his sister Melanie in 1982 (when he was 19) but only told Andros in 1988 (when he was 25). Told his parents in 1993 (when he was 29/30). Agree it was fairly obvious in 1996 with Older, but Tony Parsons had effectively outed him in the Daily Mirror before then anyway (which is why they fell out!). Then it was all well and truly confirmed in 1998 when it became beyond doubt and we heard it from the horses mouth!

So, maybe we can agree that he slowly crept out of that big closet inch by inch!...but was given a big shove in 1998.
Exactly so when people say he was in the closet it annoys me because he wasn't!
The Following User Says Thank You to HSL For This Useful Post:
SonyPaysMe (7th November 2015)
Old 6th November 2015, 19:39
Flawless

Quote:
Exactly so when people say he was in the closet it annoys me because he wasn't!
If you say so!

Lets just leave it to definition - as he has said in the past there are two outings (a private one and a public one). We are talking about different things.

For what it's worth I agree with your "annoyance" to a certain degree...but my annoyance is more with those who were annoyed about him keeping his sexuality private from the public. I certainly did not have a problem with him being closeted (regardless of when you define he came out). As far as I'm concerned he was perfectly entitled to keep his privacy and shouldn't have been publicly forced out. Family circumstances are complex and one should not be criticised for these decisions. I have a cousin who is 35 and still hasn't told his parents (in fact I'm the only person in the family who knows he is gay) - and I understand completely why he doesn't tell them so I would never judge anyone else for acting in a similar way. Being Out and Proud is fine for some...but not for everyone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Parklife For This Useful Post:
HSL (6th November 2015), pas1974 (7th November 2015)
Old 6th November 2015, 21:05
WhamMan WhamMan est déconnecté

Piers Morgan is a drip and probably one of the last people on this earth I'd take notice of. He has little about himself other than upsetting people and causing controversy.

But it's an interesting question even if I don't agree with his view.

No. The public knowing George was gay made no difference to his appeal. The fans are still mostly straight females, there are plenty of them and they filled the venues at both 25 Live and Symphonica.

I think there are 2 reasons George has fallen down the ladder. (1) A lack of new music (2) A distinct lowering of his class (a great word OneF*ckFantasy first used). Has he got less class because he is gay - no, of course not. Has the opportunity to be open and live with more abandon lead to a more hedonistic life style that in turn makes him looks less classy. Maybe.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhamMan For This Useful Post:
Onef*ckfantasy (6th November 2015), Parklife (6th November 2015)
Old 6th November 2015, 22:16
HSL HSL est déconnecté

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamMan View Post
Piers Morgan is a drip and probably one of the last people on this earth I'd take notice of. He has little about himself other than upsetting people and causing controversy.

But it's an interesting question even if I don't agree with his view.

No. The public knowing George was gay made no difference to his appeal. The fans are still mostly straight females, there are plenty of them and they filled the venues at both 25 Live and Symphonica.

I think there are 2 reasons George has fallen down the ladder. (1) A lack of new music (2) A distinct lowering of his class (a great word OneF*ckFantasy first used). Has he got less class because he is gay - no, of course not. Has the opportunity to be open and live with more abandon lead to a more hedonistic life style that in turn makes him looks less classy. Maybe.
Piers Morgans views is more a reflection of the views of the general public towards George. If you asked 10 people aged 50 who are not George Michael fans about what they know if George they would almost certainly state the toilet incident. Its the same for Jackson and children.

With regards to the class issue - personally I believe he became too 'available' and got involved in silly things like that ITN interview. He should have kept out of the public eye and remained mysteroius.