George Michael Forums

Go Back   George Michael Forums > George Michael > News > George Michael mention on the Net


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 7th November 2015, 11:28
HSL HSL est déconnecté
Offline
 
Join Date: 05-2006
Location: London
Posts: 909
Thanks: 186
Thanked 298 Times in 207 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parklife View Post
George could not have fulfilled his ambitions if he came out which is a real shame...
I thought we established yesterday that he 'came out' in 1982 ?

I take your point that he didn't annouce it to the world but I don't think he hid it either - thats quite different.

I don't like references like 'he didn't come out' or he was 'in the closet' because it makes out he was hiding a seedy secret. He wasn't.

There are probably people in my office who are Gay and all there friends and family know but they don't annouce it at work. Thats does not mean they are in 'the closet'.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HSL For This Useful Post:
SonyPaysMe (7th November 2015)
  #47  
Old 7th November 2015, 11:28
Whamshake!'s Avatar
Whamshake! Whamshake! est déconnecté
whamshake.com
 
Join Date: 07-2005
Location: Germany
Posts: 52
Thanks: 59
Thanked 185 Times in 29 Posts
Default

I don't think that his Coming Out ruined his career. But I do believe that George lost his mainspring, his motivating force for writing music. In my opinion in some way he didn't see the sense anymore ever since he came out in 1998. He didn't need to hide behind his art anymore. I believe that he is still searching for a new way to express himself which might be the reason for releasing so few material. Just my two cents.
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Whamshake! For This Useful Post:
HSL (7th November 2015), pabriz (7th November 2015), Seba.GM (7th November 2015), webmaster (7th November 2015)
  #48  
Old 7th November 2015, 11:30
pabriz pabriz est déconnecté
Offline
 
Join Date: 07-2008
Location: Italy
Posts: 304
Thanks: 185
Thanked 185 Times in 92 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSL View Post
Don't under estimate the big age gap. Elton and Paul and in there 70's. George is 52 and Adele and Sam are in there mid 20's. Obviously George is more 'relevant' espeacially to Sam due to his sexuality.

I personally don't rate Elton and Paul that highly anyway.
Sure tastes are personal and everyone's entitled to like an artist or another.

But considering that Elton and even Paul are actually more 'prolific' (in terms of records and live concerts) than George - like you've said it's evident that for someone like Adele or Sam Smith George is more 'relevant'.

Solid suggestion of the current state of things?
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 7th November 2015, 11:31
HSL HSL est déconnecté
Offline
 
Join Date: 05-2006
Location: London
Posts: 909
Thanks: 186
Thanked 298 Times in 207 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whamshake! View Post
I don't think that his Coming Out ruined his career. But I do believe that George lost his mainspring, his motivating force for writing music. In my opinion in some way he didn't see the sense anymore ever since he came out in 1998. He didn't need to hide behind his art anymore. I believe that he is still searching for a new way to express himself which might be the reason for releasing so few material. Just my two cents.
wow. The best opinion I have read in months. Well summarised and spot on !

It might explain why he did loads of covers around that period e.g. SFLC.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 7th November 2015, 11:35
HSL HSL est déconnecté
Offline
 
Join Date: 05-2006
Location: London
Posts: 909
Thanks: 186
Thanked 298 Times in 207 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabriz View Post
Sure tastes are personal and everyone's entitled to like an artist or another.

But considering that Elton and even Paul are actually more 'prolific' (in terms of records and live concerts) than George - like you've said it's evident that for someone like Adele or Sam Smith George is more 'relevant'.

Solid suggestion of the current state of things?
I'm sorry Pabriz but I don't understand your point or your question
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 7th November 2015, 11:40
pabriz pabriz est déconnecté
Offline
 
Join Date: 07-2008
Location: Italy
Posts: 304
Thanks: 185
Thanked 185 Times in 92 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSL View Post
I'm sorry Pabriz but I don't understand your point or your question
It's evident that you're not one of the negative people I'm referring to :-)
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pabriz For This Useful Post:
HSL (7th November 2015)
  #52  
Old 7th November 2015, 11:49
Parklife Parklife est déconnecté
Flawless
 
Join Date: 01-2015
Location: London
Posts: 865
Thanks: 443
Thanked 948 Times in 409 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Father Figure View Post
As far for the US... Sueing Sony ruined his carreer. As far for Europe... Drugs and its consequences (high level of stupidities and low level of new work) changed him from a respected star into a fallen hasbeen. Not with the pink glasses fans but with the general public.
"Fallen" - maybe. "Has Been" - no. "Has beens" are people no one is interested in any more. He's certainly not that... Sure, he's not a massive star in terms of current pop star status - leave the mega stardom to the youngsters, Adele and Taylor Swift. BUT, if he released an album next week would it go to number 1 (yes); if he announced a tour would it sell well (yes); if he released an autobiography would it sell millions (yes). It's all relative and it's easy to kick a guy when he's down and pick on the negative things....but i think it's a little offensive to categorise him as a has been just yet!
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Parklife For This Useful Post:
HSL (7th November 2015), pas1974 (7th November 2015), SonyPaysMe (7th November 2015)
  #53  
Old 7th November 2015, 12:06
Onef*ckfantasy Onef*ckfantasy est déconnecté
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 09-2005
Location: Somerset
Posts: 1,174
Thanks: 574
Thanked 1,398 Times in 529 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parklife View Post
"Fallen" - maybe. "Has Been" - no. "Has beens" are people no one is interested in any more. He's certainly not that... Sure, he's not a massive star in terms of current pop star status - leave the mega stardom to the youngsters, Adele and Taylor Swift. BUT, if he released an album next week would it go to number 1 (yes); if he announced a tour would it sell well (yes); if he released an autobiography would it sell millions (yes). It's all relative and it's easy to kick a guy when he's down and pick on the negative things....but i think it's a little offensive to categorise him as a has been just yet!
I hate the term 'has been' - one of the most offensive uses of it I've seen was when Liam Gallagher insulted the very talented Michael Hutchence in front of the music industry at The Brits and said,"Has beens shouldn't present awards to gonnabes." His star has fallen some way but George isn't a has been - he could still sell out smaller gigs, sell books and music. Ticket sales would be slower, I believe, but they would sell beyond stadiums. An autobiography would likely sell like hot cakes because he still remains a huge curiosity for people, perhaps even more so because of the last few years. Whether a new album would go straight to number one is an interesting point. I am not so sure. Symphonica sold well because it was essentially well-loved songs repackaged. If GM released the much-discussed gay dance album I am not so sure it would sell fast. A ballad-heavy album would clearly do much better.

Last edited by Onef*ckfantasy; 7th November 2015 at 21:39..
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Onef*ckfantasy For This Useful Post:
Parklife (7th November 2015), pas1974 (7th November 2015)
  #54  
Old 7th November 2015, 15:13
qp65 qp65 est déconnecté
Flawless
 
Join Date: 06-2014
Location: USA
Posts: 675
Thanks: 567
Thanked 916 Times in 355 Posts
Default

I think GM is well respected among musicians and some critics. There was a survey on VH1 in 2010 among 200-300 musicians. George was voted as the 87th of the Greatest of Artists of All Time (although I do not take any greatest list seriously), which is not bad considering that he has not been as prolific. Besides Adele and Sam Smith, other current top stars including Carrie Underwood and Adam Lambert have cited GM as influence. Adam Levine said that George Michael is a bad ass on the Voice.

Last edited by qp65; 8th November 2015 at 01:12..
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 7th November 2015, 19:34
EmilyPost's Avatar
EmilyPost EmilyPost est déconnecté
#######
 
Join Date: 03-2005
Location: USA
Posts: 18,240
Thanks: 9,729
Thanked 25,862 Times in 7,341 Posts
Default

Many young vocal artists/performers (even in the US) cite George Michael as having been an inspiration.That does not mean, however, that he has not passed his creative peak.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 7th November 2015, 20:26
HSL HSL est déconnecté
Offline
 
Join Date: 05-2006
Location: London
Posts: 909
Thanks: 186
Thanked 298 Times in 207 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyPost View Post
Many young vocal artists/performers (even in the US) cite George Michael as having been an inspiration.That does not mean, however, that he has not passed his creative peak.
Emily darling, I know you are the best moderater in the world but (in the nicest possible way) why do I always sense an undercurrent of negativity towards George from you ?

Anytime anybody says good and positive things about George you are quick to slap them down. I'm curious to know why that is because this is a George Michael forum afterall !
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 7th November 2015, 20:29
Notorious Notorious est déconnecté
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 12-2005
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 625
Thanks: 211
Thanked 342 Times in 221 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyPost View Post
Many young vocal artists/performers (even in the US) cite George Michael as having been an inspiration.That does not mean, however, that he has not passed his creative peak.
That hit the nail on the head! No one can deny Georges achievement and his contribution to popular music, but those milestones were met at the age of 33! Off course his career has taken a nose dive since then. One average album of new material and a bunch of mostly average singles over the last 20 years doesn’t come close to the quality of his golden days.

Sure he has a loyal fan base and will sell venues and the next covers album will sell well (acoustic covers?), but his artistic career will likely never get back to the quality of those three albums.

I'm sure if he had asked Sam, Adele for a duet they would have jumped at the opportunity, and if he had asked to be on the next Discourse album they would have said yes, but George hasn’t been in a state to do so for a few years now. Drugs and unresolved personal issues, the point I made at the beginning of this thread, have destroyed his career it terms of output volume and quality. His drive, desire and ability to make music are not what they were back in his heyday.

Unless George gets his shit together and gets decent producers in to help him realise his potential (love to see a stripped down Rick Rubin album - George has a lot of sombre material he needs to commit to song), we won’t get anything near decent from our man. The gift is still there, but he’ll need to reach out for help to get it out.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 7th November 2015, 20:33
EmilyPost's Avatar
EmilyPost EmilyPost est déconnecté
#######
 
Join Date: 03-2005
Location: USA
Posts: 18,240
Thanks: 9,729
Thanked 25,862 Times in 7,341 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSL View Post
Emily darling, I know you are the best moderater in the world but (in the nicest possible way) why do I always sense an undercurrent of negativity towards George from you ?

Anytime anybody says good and positive things about George you are quick to slap them down. I'm curious to know why that is because this is a George Michael forum afterall !
I think it is important to be realistic and if giving my opinion once in awhile is seen as "slapping down" then so be it.

Most artists follow a Bell Curve when it comes to artistic creativity and there is no crime in that. I think George peaked in the late 90's with Older. His past accomplishments stand on their own and speak for themselves. If he is able to do more in the future then great.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EmilyPost For This Useful Post:
Onef*ckfantasy (7th November 2015)
  #59  
Old 7th November 2015, 20:37
Notorious Notorious est déconnecté
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 12-2005
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 625
Thanks: 211
Thanked 342 Times in 221 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onef*ckfantasy View Post
I hate the term 'has been' - one of the most offensive uses of it I've seen was when Liam Gallagher insulted the very talented Michael Hutchence in front of the music industry at The Brits and said,"Has been so should've present awards to gonnabes." His star has fallen some way but George isn't a has been - he could still sell out smaller gigs, sell books and music. Ticket sales would be slower, I believe, but they would sell beyond stadiums. An autobiography would likely sell like hot cakes because he still remains a huge curiosity for people, perhaps even more so because of the last few years. Whether a new album would go straight to number one is an interesting point. I am not so sure. Symphonica sold well because it was essentially well-loved songs repackaged. If GM released the much-discussed gay dance album I am not so sure it would sell fast. A ballad-heavy album would clearly do much better.
Ah yes, remember this well. He should have responded with something like “great for a has-been to receive an award from a wannabe”, but heh, he got him back in song. I’m sure you’re aware that ‘Elegantly Wasted’ finishes with the chorus being changed to “I’mmmmmmmm, better than oasis”. Give it a listen.

Michael was great. The underperforming ‘Welcome to wherever you are’ and ‘New Moon over Dirty Hearts’ are excellent albums indeed.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 7th November 2015, 20:50
HSL HSL est déconnecté
Offline
 
Join Date: 05-2006
Location: London
Posts: 909
Thanks: 186
Thanked 298 Times in 207 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
unresolved personal issues, .
Mr B.I.G. another wild assumption.

Would you care to expand on this please ?

And please don't give me all that crap about drug use etc......
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Custom Search


All times are GMT +3. The time now is 11:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

'George Michael Forums' is a non-commercial, private and unofficial fan site dedicated to George Michael and Wham!.
Content published on 'George Michael Forums' requires permission for reprint. No infringement of any copyright is intended.

Disclaimer | Impressum


Free Visitor Maps at VisitorMap.org
Get a FREE visitor map for your site!