George Michael Forums

Go Back   George Michael Forums > George Michael > News > George Michael mention on the Net

Old 9th November 2015, 21:55
HSL HSL est déconnecté

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
I think you’ll find the majority on this forum would be in their late 30s/40s, somewhat past those starry eyed teenage years when their idol could do no wrong, but now capable of having well balanced unbiased discussions, with full respect for the artist in question. That’s completely different from not being a George fan.
Mr B.I.G. I like it when you try and be big and all grown up

You are right but the key word in your ramble is 'RESPECT'. The negativity thats been thrown at George is 'DISRESPECTFUL' to me but more importantly to George. Period.
Old 9th November 2015, 23:14
pas1974 pas1974 est déconnecté
Cowboy or Angel?

Quote:
I think you’ll find the majority on this forum would be in their late 30s/40s, somewhat past those starry eyed teenage years when their idol could do no wrong, but now capable of having well balanced unbiased discussions, with full respect for the artist in question. That’s completely different from not being a George fan.
I'm in my early 40's and I've learned how full of traps life can be.
I know that family background (among others) has influenced my life more than I would have wanted and still does.
I know also that comparing George to some perfect role model and judging him based on that is completely unfair and useless. Useless because nobody's perfect (and I mean nobody). Unfair because of everything he's brought to me.
Now, do I like what I've seen him go through? Certainly not, it makes me sad but definately not angry at him, nor frustrated.
Do I have faith in his musical future? Yes! And I hope this house album will see the day (I loved the "Every Other Lover" remixes).
And I want to see him go to other musical directions as well because that's what is artistically interesting.
Old 10th November 2015, 00:25
mariblu mariblu est déconnecté
Flawless

Thanked 1,725 Times in 625 Posts

Some personal considerations.
First of all I don't think Facebook and Twitter are only full of "silly adoring fans": you can find negative comments there too.
The style of communication is different. You post quick opinions on Facebook and Twitter. A forum, like GMF, is more appropriate for discussions.
But discussing doesn't mean posting always negative thoughts.
About the concept of "Bell Curve", there are many Bell Curves in our life and often there isn't a real reason of our peak and our downfall. And I love to think there's always a better time after a bad one.
Back to the topic, honestly don't think George's coming out ruined his career but probably some George's personal behaviours influenced negatively the media opinion about his great talent.
I still believe in him, in his love for music, in his fans here too.

Last edited by mariblu; 10th November 2015 at 01:20..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mariblu For This Useful Post:
HSL (10th November 2015), Seba.GM (10th November 2015)
Old 10th November 2015, 04:46
Notorious Notorious est déconnecté

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSL View Post
Mr B.I.G. I like it when you try and be big and all grown up

You are right but the key word in your ramble is 'RESPECT'. The negativity thats been thrown at George is 'DISRESPECTFUL' to me but more importantly to George. Period.
Oh I do love it when you lay down the law . . . . . let's move on

Last edited by Notorious; 10th November 2015 at 04:59..
Old 10th November 2015, 09:12
HSL HSL est déconnecté

Quote:
Oh I do love it when you lay down the law . . . . . let's move on
Ok B.I.G. Just noticed your a Kiwi. You should be happy celebrating the World cup not moaning about G.
The Following User Says Thank You to HSL For This Useful Post:
Notorious (10th November 2015)
Old 11th November 2015, 09:55
Amazone Amazone est déconnecté
Soulfree

Thanked 1,067 Times in 414 Posts

Who moaned before GM?
Old 14th November 2015, 11:10
Darth Father Figure Darth Father Figure est déconnecté

Ok... One more try explaining... First of all, I was and will always be a big fan of George's music, voice and lyrics. Why then so much 'negative' posts about him? First of all... because I try to be realistic. I don't regard GM as a flawless God but as a human with flaws. Secondly... I don't see any events in GM's life the last years to be positive about. The only thing that was very positive is that finally he decided to find help for his problems. We can't go back in time.. so things are what they are now... but what I really think is a shame... My image of GM as an admirer of his music has been very positive for a very long time... His class, his style, his music, his intelligence, his kindness, his attitude... He had it all. He had a brilliant carreer, and that's pretty normal given his star quality and his music quality. But he ruined it all by himself. The drugs, the incidents, the lack of new music... It resulted in a worse image... The perception of the public (and no, not his die hard fans but the general public) of GM isn't much about his quality music but about his superb lifestyle the last couple of years. When I say i like GM to people... I get two comments... Does that guy still lives? And GM? Isn't that the guy from Wham who's addicted to drugs and sex? He retired didn,t he? That's what I mean when I say he's being regarded as a 'has been'. Not by me but by the general public. If he ever brings out a new album... will it sell? Of course it will. But it won't sell like it used to. The sales of his last singles should be an indication... This is not real love, December song, White light... didn't do very well did they? If he ever tours again? Will it be a succes? I don't know. In England sure. But here in Belgium? 25live was sold out... But... it was the first time in history he performed in Belgium. Half of the venue weren't Belgians but Dutch. And most of the audience came for the Wham man. The songs of Wham he performed then raised the roof. One year later he came back to Belgium in his open 25 live tour... Scheduled in Werchter (where Rock Werchter is and were artists like Prince, Madonna, U2 sold the venue out). After a couple of months the concert was rescheduled to another smaller venue due to lack of interest. Just saying.

Anyway... I hope the man is doing fine and has a happy life ahead for him... with or without music... and I hope he and his team don't regard his fans as idiots anymore who they can tell anything they want.
Old 14th November 2015, 19:01
HSL HSL est déconnecté

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Father Figure View Post

1) Very positive is that finally he decided to find help for his problems....

2) ...This is not real love, December song, White light... didn't do very well did they?
DFF - I appreaciate English is probably your second language and I think you mean well but it seems you have got your words twisted. I will address 2 of your worst points....

1) What problems has George actually got help about ? As far as I am aware he has never made a public declaration about problems so like many others you are making wild assumptions. He takes drugs and crashed his car. Big deal - so have many people - they don't need treatment for it. The Beatles smoked drugs as did Oasis. Its not a big thing. You need to understand that.

2) Didn't do very well relative to what exactly ? They were isolated songs with no promotion whatsoever. Of course he is not going to sell more that Sam Smith etc. In case you are not aware the music world has changed and records sales are meaningless these days. The measure you need to look at is when one does a world tour how many people turn up ? Well in George's case he has performed live over 250 times in the last 9 years all SOLD OUT ! Its hardly the how people respond to a 'hasbeen'.
Old 14th November 2015, 19:20
EmilyPost EmilyPost est déconnecté
#######

Thanked 25,564 Times in 7,246 Posts

Quote:
DFF - I appreaciate English is probably your second language and I think you mean well but it seems you have got your words twisted. I will address 2 of your worst points....

1) What problems has George actually got help about ? As far as I am aware he has never made a public declaration about problems so like many others you are making wild assumptions. He takes drugs and crashed his car. Big deal - so have many people - they don't need treatment for it. The Beatles smoked drugs as did Oasis. Its not a big thing. You need to understand that.
Where were you in 2012 when George Michael said:

Quote:
I have today announced the cancellation of the shows in Australia which breaks my heart. By way of explanation all I can say at this time is that since last year's illness I have tried in vain to work my way through the trauma that the doctors who saved my life warned me I would experience. They recommended complete rest and the type of post traumatic counselling which is available in cases like mine but I'm afraid I believed (wrongly) that making music and getting out there to perform for the audiences that bring me such joy would be therapy enough in itself. Unfortunately I seriously underestimated how difficult this year would be and although I was right to believe that the shows would bring me great happiness and that my voice would recover completely (I truly think that some of my recent performances have been my best ever) I was wrong to think I could work my way through the major anxiety that has plagued me since I left Austria last December.

All that's left for me to do is apologise to my wonderful Australian fan base and to promise faithfully that as soon as I completed these shows here in the UK I will receive the treatment which is so long overdue.

— George Michael
And when he fell out of a car on the freeway?
The Following User Says Thank You to EmilyPost For This Useful Post:
LYDIA (15th November 2015)
Old 14th November 2015, 19:31
#######

Those aren't wild assumptions. They are matters of public record.
Old 14th November 2015, 19:35
HSL HSL est déconnecté

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyPost View Post
Where were you in 2012 when George Michael said:
I was at home Emily. I have this read before. He was recovering from an illness and he had rushed back into work before he was fully recovered. Whats your point ? Thats how you describe it. Loosley saying he had problems is wrong and misleading. He was recovering from a common illness he had a few months earlier.

Yes we know he suffers from anxiety. So what ? Its an illness. Its NOT a problem.

A man who beats is wife has a problem. George has/had an illness. Comprende ?
Old 14th November 2015, 19:39
#######

Quote:
I was at home Emily. I have this read before. He was recovering from an illness and he had rushed back into work before he was fully recovered. Whats your point ? Thats how you describe it. Loosley saying he had problems is wrong and misleading. He was recovering from a common illness he had a few months earlier.

Yes we know he suffers from anxiety. So what ? Its an illness. Its NOT a problem.

My point is that you accuse others of making wild assumptions when in fact that is not the case.

You can call it an illness or a problem but the result is the same: it can be very debilitating requiring long term treatment just the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to EmilyPost For This Useful Post:
mariasiv (14th November 2015)
Old 15th November 2015, 00:28
Onef*ckfantasy Onef*ckfantasy est déconnecté

Thanked 1,398 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:

2) Didn't do very well relative to what exactly ? They were isolated songs with no promotion whatsoever. Of course he is not going to sell more that Sam Smith etc. In case you are not aware the music world has changed and records sales are meaningless these days. The measure you need to look at is when one does a world tour how many people turn up ? Well in George's case he has performed live over 250 times in the last 9 years all SOLD OUT ! Its hardly the how people respond to a 'hasbeen'.
HSL, where is your evidence that every GM date was sold out? That most certainly is a wild assumption. The very last gig he played - at Earls Court - wasn't. I was there. The box office had tickets available in the last hour or so before show time and it seemed the touts couldn't shift their tickets. His gig to reopen Wembley Stadium didn't sell out either. If you know to the contrary please share your information. By the way, writing something in capitals doesnt make things true and commenting on someone's use of English and spelling appreciate incorrectly is kind of ironic!

Last edited by Onef*ckfantasy; 15th November 2015 at 05:53..
The Following User Says Thank You to Onef*ckfantasy For This Useful Post:
wham00 (18th November 2015)
Old 15th November 2015, 02:51
qp65 qp65 est actuellement connecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onef*ckfantasy View Post
HSL, where is your evidence that every GM date was sold out? That most certainly is a wild assumption. The very last gig he played - at Earls Court - wasn't. I was there. The box office had tickets available in the last hour or so before show time and it seemed the touts couldn't shift their tickets. His gig to reopen Wembley Stadium didn't sell out either. If you know to the contrary please share your information.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/25_Live

from the link you can see that majority of GM's shows in Europe were sold out.
Old 15th November 2015, 03:16
qp65 qp65 est actuellement connecté
Flawless

Quote:

Exactly! George's heartfelt message about canceling Australia tour has explained his status. He has been dealing with anxiety from the aftermath of pneumonia. The guy is a Pro, and has been consistently great on live shows. The fact that he had to cancel his Australia tour did suggest that his illness or depression/anxiety was pretty severe.
The Following User Says Thank You to qp65 For This Useful Post:
HSL (15th November 2015)