George Michael Forums

Go Back   George Michael Forums > George Michael > General Discussion

Old 15th October 2016, 15:53
pm2010 pm2010 est déconnecté
Star People

Comment/opinion:
"Why has a beautiful artist with a talent like this disappeared? I know a man with his fortune can live and do as he pleases, but come on - this is touched with genius, or magic, or God, or whatever you like. A beautiful and serious song that isn't just nice wallpaper but has lyrics that impart a desperately serious and meaningful message without being preachy."

Source:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqpzsjnTJdo
The Following User Says Thank You to pm2010 For This Useful Post:
qp65 (15th October 2016)
Old 15th October 2016, 16:02
cowboysandangels cowboysandangels est déconnecté

Why? From one angle it's very simple really. A man who always wanted to be taken seriously now struggles to find an audience willing to take him seriously. The reasons and incidents behind this are well-documented.
Old 15th October 2016, 16:08
WhamMan WhamMan est déconnecté

His appearance doesn't really shock or bother me. I'm a similar age and I'm overweight, going grey and ageing. Big deal if George is. Did we all think he was going to find a magical youth formula? The truth is those of us who are shocked are probably getting a reminder they are getting older alongside George!

His most recent official photos clearly showed he was ageing, I think a bit before his time but George did nothing to hide it so I don't think it bothers him. But I think being overweight does and that alone could cause him to keep a low profile until he gets on top of it.

Now whether that is cause by a physical condition, medication, eating through depression or just eating I don't know.

My hunch is George is getting back on top of things health wise and the LWP 25 thing is the best clue of that as he was appearing to get ready to promote it. I suspect the push back in release is because he's either not quite ready healthwise or he just wants to shift some weight.

In short I'm probably less concerned now than I have been over the last 2 years. But I'm realistic we'll never see quite the same George Michael physically, mentally and music wise ever again.
The Following User Says Thank You to WhamMan For This Useful Post:
pas1974 (15th October 2016)
Old 15th October 2016, 17:19
HSL HSL est déconnecté

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamMan View Post
I'm a similar age and I'm overweight, going grey and ageing. Big deal if George is. Did we all think he was going to find a magical youth formula? The truth is those of us who are shocked are probably getting a reminder they are getting older alongside George!.
mmm. He did once say when he looks in the mirror he still sees the fat boy that he was. This was when he was on the top of his game in Faith.

As somebody mentioned below this weight gain around his face and neck looks odd. To somebody who was so protective and precise over his image and was always well groomed, this looks like a medical issue to me. I know people with an underactive thyroid gain weight like this.

Anyway, I'm a boxing fan too and a couple of years ago I saw pictures of Prince Naseem Hamed. He actually looked like an Easter Egg. His explanation was he could finally eat what he wants afer 35 years !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (38.7 KB, 213 views)
Old 15th October 2016, 18:03
qp65 qp65 est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm2010 View Post
Comment/opinion:
"Why has a beautiful artist with a talent like this disappeared? I know a man with his fortune can live and do as he pleases, but come on - this is touched with genius, or magic, or God, or whatever you like. A beautiful and serious song that isn't just nice wallpaper but has lyrics that impart a desperately serious and meaningful message without being preachy."

Source:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqpzsjnTJdo
Thanks for sharing the link. Watching the clip gave me goosebumps and reminded me of GM's greatness. It is a beautiful and deep meaning, and so relevant to today song. GM's singing is powerful. The legend said 10-29-2011, a few weeks before he suffered from near-death pneumonia. I particularly love the angel of the camera showing the audience responses. extraordinary, really. I wish there will be a DVD like that released someday.
Old 15th October 2016, 18:06
qp65 qp65 est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
My hunch is George is getting back on top of things health wise and the LWP 25 thing is the best clue of that as he was appearing to get ready to promote it.
I hope that this turns out to be true.
Old 15th October 2016, 18:06
Parklife Parklife est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysandangels View Post
Why? From one angle it's very simple really. A man who always wanted to be taken seriously now struggles to find an audience willing to take him seriously. The reasons and incidents behind this are well-documented.
Yes. His personal life finally impacted his professional life. Still think the industry generally respects him which is something. But I don't think the general public (ignoring fans) have the same affection for him as they do say Elton or Sting etc. Such a shame given his talent.
Old 15th October 2016, 18:55
Onef*ckfantasy Onef*ckfantasy est déconnecté

Thanked 1,397 Times in 529 Posts

I think there's still a fair bit of affection for George amongst the British public (and certainly more for him than Sting!) because, let's face it, so many of people's life events now - school, weddings, family parties, Christmas etc etc are bound up with his music... BUT there is also a good measure of frustration and impatience among them about the way his life has panned out. Not to the extent that we have felt frustrated perhaps, but disappointment nevertheless.
Old 15th October 2016, 20:07
Parklife Parklife est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onef*ckfantasy View Post
I think there's still a fair bit of affection for George amongst the British public (and certainly more for him than Sting!) because, let's face it, so many of people's life events now - school, weddings, family parties, Christmas etc etc are bound up with his music... BUT there is also a good measure of frustration and impatience among them about the way his life has panned out. Not to the extent that we have felt frustrated perhaps, but disappointment nevertheless.
Ok. Maybe I was pushing it with Sting! Cliff maybe😯
Old 15th October 2016, 20:08
LYDIA LYDIA est déconnecté
PreBoxRemix
Zookeeper Champion, Pipes Champion

Thanked 14,219 Times in 5,451 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyPost View Post
Give it a rest. The pictures are plenty bad enough and you can't force another member to post no matter how much you cajole. It doesn't work.

On a happier note,Kenny looks marvelous.

http://www.dallasnews.com/arts/visua...inter-jos-parl
yes he does!
Spoiler:
that's the jacket I touched when kenny was next to me in Dallas lol

other thoughts...

to try and guess or decide how the weight came on is pointless. reasons can be mood, meds/health issue and lack of exercise.....and that is about it. done.

also someone refered to what his eyes are saying in those fuzzy pictures is pretty funny. candid, off center shots in low lighting while eating among a circle of people while using mobile phone zoom feature.....not much to go on.

PhoenixDallasHouston
...nothing was further from my mind
than this moment with you...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LYDIA For This Useful Post:
Lady (16th October 2016), webmaster (16th October 2016)
Old 16th October 2016, 15:30
KojiTaku KojiTaku est déconnecté
OFF the LINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSL View Post
...As somebody mentioned below this weight gain around his face and neck looks odd. To somebody who was so protective and precise over his image and was always well groomed, this looks like a medical issue to me. I know people with an underactive thyroid gain weight like this.
I know such people too and it's not great to have that and the weight quickly gains...
Let's hope, he's feeling fine and comfortable with himself..

THX a lot @emily for !!!
Old 16th October 2016, 17:01
pm2010 pm2010 est déconnecté
Star People

Quote:
Originally Posted by qp65 View Post
Watching the clip gave me goosebumps and reminded me of GM's greatness.
My reaction was the same, and that's why I decided to put it here, in this topic.
Old 16th October 2016, 17:39
Angelfish Angelfish est déconnecté
Flawless

Yeah, I thought of thyroid too, mine is going now too (of course) and I have noticed my face got sort of puffy and my fingers. It basically is some sort of toxins building up I guess, more than fat or water weight. I Can't take anything for it though.

But anyway, anyone who gains a lot of weight, whatever the reason, is going to show it in their face. Some more than others. Esp if they carry weight in the upper body/stomach.

I think the whole weight thing should be put to bed, myself.

'Dedicates Pictures of Me by Elliot Smith to GM'
Old 16th October 2016, 23:48
WhamMan WhamMan est déconnecté

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysandangels View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parklife View Post
Yes. His personal life finally impacted his professional life. Still think the industry generally respects him which is something. But I don't think the general public (ignoring fans) have the same affection for him as they do say Elton or Sting etc. Such a shame given his talent.
I think you're both right.

I think the music industry has closed ranks to protect George. We know about what Elton said recently while performing and I've noticed Ken Bruce on BBC Radio 2 sometimes makes remarks about George's pedigree like he know's something. I suspect his situation is well known amongst people like that and they are of course being discrete and supportive.

The media confuse me. I'm surprised we haven't seen more in the British tabloids. I suspect they either know the truth and are sitting on it until they can deliver it with greatest impact (like when he comes back) or there is a bounty out to get a story. Be sure they won't be protecting George.

Funnily enough I think George has done the most damage to his long term, loyal fan base - ie us. The general public won't be counting the fact it's been x years since the last album and will welcome him back just fine if the music is half decent.

For some of us on here I just don't think things will be the same again unless George can really draw a line under the past and move on. We know a little too much about him and that's the danger of having such a dedicated fan base. The painful part for me is I think George has quite consciously been trading his loyal fan base for a wider, transient fan base across the general music loving public for some years. That's just my view but it leaves me feeling like we've been treated shabbily. It was us who supported George and helped build his career in the first place.

Right now I feel more passion for getting behind Cliff Richard's cause than I do George's as he knows what side his bread is buttered and brought none of his agro on himself.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhamMan For This Useful Post:
Angelfish (17th October 2016), Notorious (17th October 2016), Parklife (17th October 2016)
Old 17th October 2016, 00:49
Angelfish Angelfish est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
I think you're both right.

I think the music industry has closed ranks to protect George. We know about what Elton said recently while performing and I've noticed Ken Bruce on BBC Radio 2 sometimes makes remarks about George's pedigree like he know's something. I suspect his situation is well known amongst people like that and they are of course being discrete and supportive.

The media confuse me. I'm surprised we haven't seen more in the British tabloids. I suspect they either know the truth and are sitting on it until they can deliver it with greatest impact (like when he comes back) or there is a bounty out to get a story. Be sure they won't be protecting George.

Funnily enough I think George has done the most damage to his long term, loyal fan base - ie us. The general public won't be counting the fact it's been x years since the last album and will welcome him back just fine if the music is half decent.

For some of us on here I just don't think things will be the same again unless George can really draw a line under the past and move on. We know a little too much about him and that's the danger of having such a dedicated fan base. The painful part for me is I think George has quite consciously been trading his loyal fan base for a wider, transient fan base across the general music loving public for some years. That's just my view but it leaves me feeling like we've been treated shabbily. It was us who supported George and helped build his career in the first place.

Right now I feel more passion for getting behind Cliff Richard's cause than I do George's as he knows what side his bread is buttered and brought none of his agro on himself.

Amen. (10x 'thanks' on this post)
At some point silence begins to taste like betrayal..

(although I wonder if there's ever really going to be new music, as you seem to suggest. I mean, look at how long this reissue/docu thing is taking.)

Oh.. By the way, Leonard Cohen is 82 and releasing a new album. Great article about it, and him. Amazing artist, fascinating man.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...akes-it-darker
The Following User Says Thank You to Angelfish For This Useful Post:
Notorious (17th October 2016)