George Michael Forums

Go Back   George Michael Forums > George Michael > General Discussion

Old 4th January 2017, 14:09
Angelfish Angelfish est déconnecté
Flawless

Lightbulb Light & Love For George

I'm starting this an option to the overwhelmed main thread. I thought a non negative and peaceful place for people to express feelings, thoughts, gratitude and experiences may be helpful for some. A place to converse and share, away from all of the confusion currently in the 'news' section.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Angelfish For This Useful Post:
cazzie63 (4th January 2017), cowboysandangels (4th January 2017), elleom (5th January 2017), FaithInTheSound (6th January 2017), freeek (4th January 2017), G.M.Freak (5th January 2017), JennyS (6th January 2017), Kazza (5th January 2017), KojiTaku (7th January 2017), pas1974 (4th January 2017), Sonya7 (4th January 2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 4th January 2017, 17:01
Seba.GM Seba.GM est déconnecté
old fan and collector

Thanked 1,313 Times in 423 Posts

Prayer for George in the church in Goring
Attached Images
File Type: jpg preghiera.jpg (62.0 KB, 268 views)

If you are the desert
I'll be the sea
If you ever hunger
Hunger for me
Whatever you ask for
That's what I'll be
The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to Seba.GM For This Useful Post:
Angelfish (4th January 2017), betteb (4th January 2017), chris59 (4th January 2017), detryc (4th January 2017), EmilyPost (4th January 2017), Ermann66 (11th January 2017), FaithInTheSound (6th January 2017), G.M.Freak (4th January 2017), Georgiesgirl (5th January 2017), Kazza (5th January 2017), Lady (6th January 2017), Laura (5th January 2017), Lisbeth (5th January 2017), mare (5th January 2017), pas1974 (4th January 2017), Sami (5th January 2017), silvia-yog (4th January 2017), snoopy (6th January 2017), Verena (6th January 2017), Vickio (11th January 2017), zeph11 (4th January 2017)
Old 5th January 2017, 19:23
Flawless

I'm just bumping this because I think it is a better, quieter option for sharing very personal thoughts and feelings than the over-crowded main thread. It's more discussion friendly if you're words aren't eclipsed by a landslide of other stuff.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Angelfish For This Useful Post:
aaronoreilly (6th January 2017), FaithInTheSound (6th January 2017), KojiTaku (7th January 2017)
Old 5th January 2017, 19:50
liztay liztay est déconnecté
Young Gun

Have completely fallen in love with George's version of 'For the love of you'. Do any of you know where I could download or was this version ever released? Would much appreciate any help. Thank you as made me feel better just listening to this!
Old 5th January 2017, 20:33
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by liztay View Post
Have completely fallen in love with George's version of 'For the love of you'. Do any of you know where I could download or was this version ever released? Would much appreciate any help. Thank you as made me feel better just listening to this!
George recorded it for his SOLD ON SONG BBC 2 Special. I don't think it was an official release, as the only thing I've seen online other than YouTube including it looks like a bootleg. Not sure.

There are others here who surely know more though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Angelfish For This Useful Post:
liztay (5th January 2017)
Old 6th January 2017, 16:38
Aleeke Aleeke est déconnecté
Young Gun

You can find it at the usenet. For help PM me
Old 6th January 2017, 18:58
Kazza Kazza est déconnecté
Star People

I know that y'all already seen this. But I love this - David Bowie may be my favourite of all time, though George is more my era. I can't believe they're both gone in the same year. David's death devastated me. I didn't even want to think about a world without him in it.

There have been a few articles comparing the legacy of Bowie, George and Prince. They are very interesting.

George is such a cool cat in this video, totally owning the performance. Ain't too many non black men who can pull it off like this.

So blessed we were to have these entertainers.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kazza For This Useful Post:
Angelfish (6th January 2017), FaithInTheSound (6th January 2017), pas1974 (8th January 2017)
Old 6th January 2017, 20:23
FaithInTheSound FaithInTheSound est déconnecté
Star People

I'm having some problems right now coping with communicating with others (which is why I ended up registering here even though I'm not a forum person). I didn't know where else to post this.

I get emails and texts from people asking how my holiday was, and I can't even answer them. They can regale me with their unbridled joy at the results of sporting events and think that's totally logical, but I could never respond with how distraught I was and still am over what happened to all of us on Christmas Day, because they'd judge. They've judged before.

They don't even see that their rambling about the happiness brought about by a football game played by people they've never met is no more "logical" than my being in mourning over the death of someone I've never met--someone they still think of as "that pretty guy from Wham who cruises for gay sex in public toilets."

So I have found myself retreating. I'm not answering calls, emails or texts. I will not get into it with them, plus I refuse to minimize the impact of this for their benefit just because they can't comprehend that George mattered to me as a human being. I would not disrespect him by denying him.

How are all of you coping with those around you who dismiss this as just another trivial showbiz death? Are you also retreating, and, like me, are you only seeking your solace here?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FaithInTheSound For This Useful Post:
aaronoreilly (6th January 2017), Angelfish (6th January 2017), jas1970 (21st January 2017), Kazza (6th January 2017), Lisbeth (8th January 2017), Vickio (11th January 2017)
Old 6th January 2017, 21:06
Flawless

I'm already almost entirely retreated. Thankfully I have no ppl talking about happy football blah etc. but that's a long story.

But I agree no one else I've known would understand this hitting me and being on my mind so much. Well partially a couple might but even longer story.

This is on top of my severe health issues, an incoming regime that terrifies me for this country and the world melting. So. Some would understand less. Whys George so important? He represents something that is leaving us IMO. Era that is ending. He isn't the only one gone at this turning point. But the one that I related to much more. I've never done drugs, I'm straight and female, but at a core level I felt a connection via his music and presence.

I'm glad this place is here because idk how to process anything right now. See.. I'm rambling.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Angelfish For This Useful Post:
FaithInTheSound (6th January 2017), Kazza (6th January 2017), Lisbeth (8th January 2017), liztay (6th January 2017)
Old 6th January 2017, 21:08
JennyS JennyS est déconnecté
Flawless

I' m in a daze since it happened.

First their was this enormous sadness. Wanted to know what happened.
Since then I have spend (I work fulltime) every free minute online, wanting to know.

Allthough I am very sure, we'll never know the whole truth and the fact I've told myself several times 'to get back on my feeth' and 'to moove on...,' it doesn't work. I'm still here.

Besides that, I had a second schock, maybe I'm not a real fan for some, but I'll write it anyway;
It was pretty clear that after Symphonic, things were getting worse.
I could read the headlines at the time, but never went into it. I didn't want to know the bad news. Overall those detailled stories in tabloids are never any good and others mention it briefly.

So this happened. I went digging from day one and immediately knew this was going to be an ugly pit to open but I did.

I am not and never will judge G for his lifestyle but it hurts bad. Knowing, as someone wrote (very nice post, one to remember) in the other thread, this kind of lifestyle could end up really bad. And I have the feeling it did.

I wish I had never opened that box, I wish I could have stayed away. For the moment I am not even capable of feeling anything, as if my mind doesn't even know where it wants to go.

When the other thread started with 'it was very well known what kind of lifestyle George had after Kenny.'
Well, not to me. As I said, I did not want to go there at the time and hoped it would work out nice and he would get his life back together ..... and here we are today.

Was I in denial, I think I was, he has been in my life since my teens ('80's,) and I just wanted him to be happy, doing what he wants to do, but certain things (and details) are none of my concern. (meaning his love life)

Not only have I lost 'a' love of my life, It has left a burst in my sweet, oh so sweet memories of this man.
While I'm typing, I'm still saying to myself to get a grip, it is a popstar that died J!!

Co-workers see me as strange I believe, for feeling this way. But G never ment as much to them as he did to me.
When MJ, Prince and WH died, every time, I wondered what it would do to me, what their dieing did to their fans. I had no idea it could be this bad. I've allways been a very rational person, who can easily help someone in a difficult situation, but here, I allways look for answers myself, in this case, I don't have any, not even for myself.......

For tonight; I think I'll go back to YT and listen en watch. No forum, no twitter, no fb. (which I rarely visited before this x-mass anyway)

It allways works best for me. No comments, no harsh words, no ugly secrets, just listen, watch and smile........en let those sweet memories return....
(Please, please, send them to me.......)

Be good to yourself 'cause nobody else has the power to make you happy.
George Michael

Last edited by JennyS; 6th January 2017 at 21:50..
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JennyS For This Useful Post:
Angelfish (6th January 2017), FaithInTheSound (6th January 2017), G.M.Freak (7th January 2017), jarofchains (6th January 2017), jas1970 (21st January 2017), Kazza (6th January 2017), Lisbeth (8th January 2017), liztay (6th January 2017)
Old 6th January 2017, 21:09
Star People

I'm here in part for a similar reason I think. To be able to talk with others about what has happened and how we are dealing with it.

I did suffer a real personal loss last year - my father. But I still think it's understandable to also be upset about the loss of certain cultural icons. Mental health experts recognise this as well and take it seriously.

We may associate these people and their artistic output with certain key moments and memories in our lives. Their music may help guide us through some difficult times and given us reassurance that we weren't alone with something or other.

I think that in Europe George still had some following though he turned increasingly reclusive. In America he just seemed to fold his career so there probably isn't as much fan base there to hang out with.

Though George seemed unwell lately this was still a huge shock to me - especially Christmas Day. But I think I'm starting to come to terms with it a bit better now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kazza For This Useful Post:
Angelfish (6th January 2017), FaithInTheSound (6th January 2017)
Old 6th January 2017, 21:19
FaithInTheSound FaithInTheSound est déconnecté
Star People

What wonderful thoughts and emotions I just read here.

It’s like you’re only allowed to truly mourn someone you didn’t know if that person is universally accepted by all as a “worthy” icon. Who disputes people saying they mourned and grieved after the assassination of, say, John F. Kennedy? That was “acceptable.” Who decides?

I come at this from the perspective of someone who has spent her life around celebrities. Musicians, actors, athletes, politicians, CEOs… I have seen things over the decades that most fans haven’t. Some of them not so good, but most of them showed me that famous people are far more like us than we realize. I have continued personal and professional relationships with former interview subjects for years because they trusted me. Sometimes they forgot I was a journalist, got carried away, and told me things they shouldn’t have… and those things never made their way into print because I approached my job with humanity. I never made it my goal to catch them with their pants down (literally or figuratively), and if it happened, I respected their privacy. I never practiced “gotcha” journalism. All I ever wanted to do was tell a different story. And I am blessed to have so many subjects remember our time together decades later, or tell me that out of all the people who ever interviewed them, I was the only one who really “got it.” (Disclosure: I never met George, but did spend some time with Pepsi and Shirlie in ’87).

My point, and I do have one, is that my background predisposed me to seeing post-Wham! George as an artist and a human first, and a celebrity last. I rarely practice stargazing (OK, Steve Jobs was a GOD to me). And the people around me have no concept of that. A celebrity is a product to them. Celebrities aren’t real, nothing they say or do is honest, they have no concern for anything except money and fame, and above all, they’re disposable and inconsequential. I don’t have to explain to you that this is what most people thought of George.

I know a lot of this is incoherent and disjointed. I can’t make sense of it myself, so I know for [bleep] sure it would never make sense to these people. So thank you all for at least listening.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FaithInTheSound For This Useful Post:
Angelfish (6th January 2017), Kazza (6th January 2017), Vickio (11th January 2017)
Old 6th January 2017, 21:23
Geoff Geoff est déconnecté

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazza View Post
I know that y'all already seen this. But I love this - David Bowie may be my favourite of all time, though George is more my era. I can't believe they're both gone in the same year. David's death devastated me. I didn't even want to think about a world without him in it.

There have been a few articles comparing the legacy of Bowie, George and Prince. They are very interesting.

George is such a cool cat in this video, totally owning the performance. Ain't too many non black men who can pull it off like this.

So blessed we were to have these entertainers.

Was lucky enough to go to this concert. Fantastic. Always loved the Killer / Papa Was a Rollin' Stone mash up.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Geoff For This Useful Post:
Angelfish (6th January 2017), FaithInTheSound (6th January 2017), Georgiesgirl (8th January 2017), Kazza (6th January 2017)
Old 6th January 2017, 21:24
Flawless

Agree I've never idolized. I really get what you mean. Tho never met any famous ppl I am not impressed by fame. Wish could elaborate But too weak to type more ATM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Angelfish For This Useful Post:
FaithInTheSound (6th January 2017)
Old 6th January 2017, 21:34
Star People

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
Was lucky enough to go to this concert. Fantastic. Always loved the Killer / Papa Was a Rollin' Stone mash up.
Oh man I envy you! What a night it must have been.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kazza For This Useful Post:
Angelfish (7th January 2017)