George Michael Forums

Go Back   George Michael Forums > George Michael > General Discussion

Old 6th January 2017, 20:36
zeph11 zeph11 est déconnecté
Flawless

Thanked 1,786 Times in 557 Posts

It's so weird living through this in the US. George has been invisible over here for so long that my relationship with his music and this forum has felt sort of like a personal, precious secret. Now all of a sudden, I'm bumping into him everywhere.

A long time ago, I came into a subscription to People magazine. I've no idea how. When I go to the post office for my mail, I'm used to seeing it there, at the bottom of the pile with some Kardashian or other on the cover. I toss it into the bin without a second thought. Yesterday, I picked up my mail, leafing through the letters on top of the pile, expecting to see the weekly Kardashian beneath the People logo there at the bottom of the pile...but it was George staring up at me, in the middle of the post office. I drew my breath in sharply, like I was in pain. Needless to say, he came home with me.

Today at Rite-Aid, I had to buy cat food listening to "One More Try" being played over the store's sound system. Made it through the checkout even though I could feel my eyes well a little.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to zeph11 For This Useful Post:
Angelfish (7th January 2017), FaithInTheSound (6th January 2017), jarofchains (6th January 2017), KojiTaku (7th January 2017), Lisbeth (8th January 2017), qp65 (11th January 2017)
Old 6th January 2017, 21:25
JennyS JennyS est déconnecté
Flawless

Before I go I wanted to leave a very big THANK YOU for Angelfish in her starting this.

I never thought I would need it, but I did and I'm happy to have left something here.

As I said, tonight it will be a wonderfull voice on a great channel (to me, simple things are fine,) actually, that's all I need to feel better.

Ciao.

Be good to yourself 'cause nobody else has the power to make you happy.
George Michael
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JennyS For This Useful Post:
Angelfish (7th January 2017), FaithInTheSound (6th January 2017), Lisbeth (8th January 2017)
Old 6th January 2017, 21:30
FaithInTheSound FaithInTheSound est déconnecté
Star People

I finally answered a text, after gathering some strength from people here. I simply said sorry for the silence, been going through some personal stuff... will talk soon.

I did try to share with one friend, and given her penchant for (and my indulging her in that penchant) woo-woo stuff like reiki healing, past life readings, hand reflexology, tarot cards, etc., I thought I might find a safe and open-minded outlet for what I'm going through. Yeah, notsomuch.
The Following User Says Thank You to FaithInTheSound For This Useful Post:
Angelfish (7th January 2017)
Old 6th January 2017, 21:58
jarofchains jarofchains est déconnecté
Star People

I posted the the main thread but yesterday I finally had a breakthrough moment with my most recent bout with anxiety. I am not a normally outwardly emotional person but I spent about a good 10 minutes just crying yesterday because I think George through his music and just learning more about his own struggles helped me with my break. Very grateful to him.
The Following User Says Thank You to jarofchains For This Useful Post:
Old 6th January 2017, 22:34
Star People

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarofchains View Post
I posted the the main thread but yesterday I finally had a breakthrough moment with my most recent bout with anxiety. I am not a normally outwardly emotional person but I spent about a good 10 minutes just crying yesterday because I think George through his music and just learning more about his own struggles helped me with my break. Very grateful to him.
I've been going through some rough times in the past few months, and had been holding it all in. Keeping up a front, pushing myself through work and personal relationships. Putting on a brave face. George's passing unleashed it all, and I finally burst at the seams last Friday (the 30th). I literally have not left my apartment, or stopped sobbing, since. I keep waiting for it to break, but it doesn't.

When I received that "Hey everyone, George is hard at work on the documentary!" email in November, I was at the lowest point I'd been at in years. I'd just that day been forced to leave my full-time job--where I'd just been promoted and given a healthy raise only 2 months earlier--because a superior demanded I do something unethical and I refused. So I was given a choice: Stay and go along with the program and also go into disciplinary counseling for my "attitude problem," or leave with a severance package with non-disclosure strings attached, telling everyone we just came to a mutual agreement that I wasn't a good fit.

I took the deal. Positive news of George and a likely 2017 comeback lifted my spirits, and I forwarded the email to my mom with the note, "This just brightened my day something fierce!" I had something to look forward to. New stuff in March, and in my fevered brain, a LWP tour that would likely only happen in England, so I had to make plans to fly there. Whatever, dude. I'm there if I have to sell my saggy tail on a street corner to do it. Re-reading that email now, I see it for what it really was. A cover-up. A big fat lie. More PR manipulation. I fell for it because I wanted to. I needed to.

Now... well, I just can't deal. A switch has been flipped. This genie is out of the bottle now, and it's not going back in. A part of me has died. And I don't know what the [bleep] to do about it. But thank you all for being here and understanding. I am sorry for turning the thread negative, but it's the only way I can think of to work through it and "reach the other side of the glass" with my sanity intact.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FaithInTheSound For This Useful Post:
Angelfish (7th January 2017), jas1970 (21st January 2017)
Old 7th January 2017, 06:45
Kazza Kazza est déconnecté
Star People

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithInTheSound View Post
What wonderful thoughts and emotions I just read here.

It’s like you’re only allowed to truly mourn someone you didn’t know if that person is universally accepted by all as a “worthy” icon. Who disputes people saying they mourned and grieved after the assassination of, say, John F. Kennedy? That was “acceptable.” Who decides?

I come at this from the perspective of someone who has spent her life around celebrities. Musicians, actors, athletes, politicians, CEOs… I have seen things over the decades that most fans haven’t. Some of them not so good, but most of them showed me that famous people are far more like us than we realize. I have continued personal and professional relationships with former interview subjects for years because they trusted me. Sometimes they forgot I was a journalist, got carried away, and told me things they shouldn’t have… and those things never made their way into print because I approached my job with humanity. I never made it my goal to catch them with their pants down (literally or figuratively), and if it happened, I respected their privacy. I never practiced “gotcha” journalism. All I ever wanted to do was tell a different story. And I am blessed to have so many subjects remember our time together decades later, or tell me that out of all the people who ever interviewed them, I was the only one who really “got it.” (Disclosure: I never met George, but did spend some time with Pepsi and Shirlie in ’87).

My point, and I do have one, is that my background predisposed me to seeing post-Wham! George as an artist and a human first, and a celebrity last. I rarely practice stargazing (OK, Steve Jobs was a GOD to me). And the people around me have no concept of that. A celebrity is a product to them. Celebrities aren’t real, nothing they say or do is honest, they have no concern for anything except money and fame, and above all, they’re disposable and inconsequential. I don’t have to explain to you that this is what most people thought of George.

I know a lot of this is incoherent and disjointed. I can’t make sense of it myself, so I know for [bleep] sure it would never make sense to these people. So thank you all for at least listening.
You express yourself fine and I think I get what you're saying.

I have a friend who worked in the studio and on the road with a very popular entertainer for several years, though I probably shouldn't mention her name. Whenever people tell me something I always promise to keep it confidential and I stick with that. But yeh... after hearing some of the stuff behind the scenes and someone telling you their memory of this person as a friend, you can begin to feel more empathy towards them and realise that they are a human being just like us at end of the day.

But the tabloid press seem intent on objectifying and dehumanizing their subjects. I guess that in their job they have to try and stop feeling 'empathy' for them and keep an emotional distance away from them at some point.

Yesterday I was watching some interview videos with George when he was 19 or 20 - before he became the huge superstar. And he looks pretty much like any other adolescent or person you meet on the street in the clip.

Last edited by Kazza; 7th January 2017 at 07:32..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kazza For This Useful Post:
Angelfish (7th January 2017), pas1974 (7th January 2017)
Old 7th January 2017, 14:30
KojiTaku KojiTaku est déconnecté
OFF the LINE

How to overcome...
I have my family who help me.
I'm still ill. My head and ear are still in pain - the cold got worser - have a otitis of the middle ear now since a week.
My hubby and my kids distract me from time to time of all,
but I still read here, what also makes me down - don't know why I do this!

I recognized George 1996 by the cover of his Older Album.
The photo really took my breath away. I remembered listening some songs on the radio NDR2, so I bought the album.
This album always helped me overcome pain, loss and fear.
Caused by my otitis I can't listen to music - only mono - no way!

I never was much interested in George as a person, I "only" loved his music.
But when Patience came out, I recognized he has more to give and so I got online here.
We had some good time, but 2007 I got banned cause I posted some copyright pictures.
Every month I tried to come back, but still was banned.
Then my own life changed and I got uninterested in George as a person again. I also had no money left for the internet.
When I became a mother, nothing else then my kids were in my mind.
Now they are old enough to play with each other, money for internet is suddenly there and I tried again to get online here...
9 years passed away - so fast.
And now, he's gone - I still can't really believe this.
I still have to read 9 years missing, so I still read "news" while reading Georges tweets.
....so, I'm in-between the now and the past....

To overcome, guess I should stop reading anything and get offline again...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KojiTaku For This Useful Post:
Angelfish (7th January 2017), cowboysandangels (7th January 2017)
Old 7th January 2017, 15:54
Angelfish Angelfish est déconnecté
Flawless

Being gone 9 years then after just coming back.. this. Sad and confusing I'm sure . Sorry to hear you're still sick, hope you can rest and get over the cold.
The Following User Says Thank You to Angelfish For This Useful Post:
KojiTaku (7th January 2017)
Old 7th January 2017, 18:58
OFF the LINE

Question

Thx. I hope soon I get my sense of hearing on the right ear back... The medicaments slowly start to work.
Not being able to listen to Georges music now is...

Question:
Does any one believe in heaven?
I do not, but I believe George lives on in our hearts and memories!
My grandmother died when I was 19. At that time I didn't know what to believe in. But after I dreamed of her, I created a place in my heart where she is a child again and happy together with many cats - she always wanted some, but had no money, had no good childhood (had to work) and no good youth too (Second World War).
In Georges case I don't know what to create?
The dogs would be there and Anselmo, his mother and... a studio? I really don't know.
Old 7th January 2017, 19:25
Flawless

Heaven, hmm. Not in the way that organized religions do. But I believe we go on. I believe we are reunited with those we're meant to be in some way.

This question got me crying.
Old 7th January 2017, 19:52
Star People

I believe in heaven. I believe George is there. He's healthy and happy. All the pain has been lifted because he's reunited with those he lost. Never again will he have to suffer the all-consuming grief of loss. And I've already instructed my cat--who's also there, by the way--to suck up to him so he's right there with her and the rest of my loved ones to greet me at the Pearly Gates.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FaithInTheSound For This Useful Post:
G.M.Freak (11th January 2017), KojiTaku (7th January 2017), Lisbeth (8th January 2017), pas1974 (7th January 2017), Seba.GM (7th January 2017), Sonya7 (11th January 2017)
Old 7th January 2017, 20:10
OFF the LINE

@Angelfish: I'm sorry! Didn't want to make you cry!

I decided now to create only a room in my heart with a studio. I always liked his music - more I don't need. Others can give him room for more, so he can wander around as he likes to...

Is "heaven" also a place in the heart? Or where is it?
The Following User Says Thank You to KojiTaku For This Useful Post:
Old 7th January 2017, 20:43
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by KojiTaku View Post
@Angelfish: I'm sorry! Didn't want to make you cry!

I decided now to create only a room in my heart with a studio. I always liked his music - more I don't need. Others can give him room for more, so he can wander around as he likes to...

Is "heaven" also a place in the heart? Or where is it?
It's ok.

And I think heaven is a different idea for everyone. Surely it's in the people who keep you inside, love you and remember you, but it's something more spiritual to me too. its very hard to explain and maybe finding your own idea of heaven is best.
Old 7th January 2017, 22:34
pas1974 pas1974 est déconnecté
Cowboy or Angel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithInTheSound View Post
I believe in heaven. I believe George is there. He's healthy and happy. All the pain has been lifted because he's reunited with those he lost. Never again will he have to suffer the all-consuming grief of loss. And I've already instructed my cat--who's also there, by the way--to suck up to him so he's right there with her and the rest of my loved ones to greet me at the Pearly Gates.
I believe too there is a different vibration level, so let's call it heaven
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pas1974 For This Useful Post:
damedavid (8th January 2017), KojiTaku (7th January 2017), UnRayodeSol (9th January 2017)
Old 10th January 2017, 15:39
silvia-yog silvia-yog est déconnecté
GM fan and collector since 1984

Thanked 1,253 Times in 359 Posts

I light up a star in the hall of anti-cancer center of my town in Italy.
Here'e the virtual star

http://www.liltstar.it/web/stars/ste...dGJpZWxsYS5pdA
milan16-17.5.88 5-6.10.06 11-12.11.11 rome20.5.88 21.7.07 padova17.7.07 firenze 10.9.11 verona 13.9.11 prague22.8.11 modena6.6.00 wien4-6.9.12 london 19-20-22-23.3.91;25-26-28-29.11.06;17.12.06;9.6.07;29.10.11;13-14-17.10.12

Last edited by silvia-yog; 10th January 2017 at 16:40..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to silvia-yog For This Useful Post:
Angelfish (10th January 2017), GoodFairy (28th April 2017), KojiTaku (10th January 2017), zeph11 (11th January 2017)