George Michael Forums

Go Back   George Michael Forums > George Michael > General Discussion

Old 19th May 2017, 03:15
GMfan87' GMfan87' est déconnecté
Flawless

That's right I remember that ! I could see George made the comment about women for his fan base, that crossed my mind but I also could still believe if someone struck his fancy he would of been with her.
The Following User Says Thank You to GMfan87' For This Useful Post:
lynzpie (19th May 2017)
Old 19th May 2017, 04:35
GreekGirl GreekGirl est actuellement connecté
Star People

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onemoretry View Post
Goring is on my list, though. It's only 60 miles from London, hour by train
I'd love to visit Goring someday as well to pay my respects. The village looks really charming from what I've seen online, and George's home and property are beautiful.
The Following User Says Thank You to GreekGirl For This Useful Post:
GMfan87' (19th May 2017)
Old 19th May 2017, 04:59
GMMegaFan GMMegaFan est actuellement connecté
Flawless

Thanked 1,153 Times in 366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfan87' View Post
That's right I remember that ! I could see George made the comment about women for his fan base, that crossed my mind but I also could still believe if someone struck his fancy he would of been with her.
Some of GMs male fans blame the female fans for a lot of his troubles. That these more than adoring female fans who initially were after him as a sex symbol kept him in the closet and even after he came out that they still fanatasized that he would go with a woman if he found the right one. It was this almost fanatical female following according to them that caused GM so much of his problems. "You Women" as the man himself put it

Geri said she had a huge crush on GM. Read somewhere were she said she was lying in his bed once and GM and Kenny had gone out. And how she initially did not know he was gay etc. Kenny is the Godfather of her daughter Bluebell not GM and he is close to her. I am sure most of you would have seen the bits from a doc where GM visits Geri and helps her choose a dog from the dog pound with Kenny (yt - George Michael with Geri Haliwell 1998), In those videos, the charisma of GM even in everyday situations comes across so well.
Old 19th May 2017, 06:36
Flawless

I'm calling bs on his female fans taking that blame . Yes his career was a big part of it but I believe it was how he perceived himself and how he wanted to be perceived . I was implying he would of hooked up with a woman not necessarily anything serious . Not because I want to think it but the vibe he could give off and his promiscuity , don't think it's far fetched . Saw the dog videos , very cute .
Old 19th May 2017, 07:01
Ciara1976 Ciara1976 est déconnecté
Star People

Quote:
I was never clear as to what David Austin's role was, other than he was the one that hung on from beginning to end. Does anyone know?
I think they've always been very close friends. George himself joked on Twitter they were like Edna and Madge- I thought it was cute.
Old 19th May 2017, 16:19
faithgirl17 faithgirl17 est déconnecté
Star People

I hope Andrew is doing g ok. I noticed the picture that was taken at the royal oak was taken on April 29 which is exactly one month since the funeral for George. You are always in my prayers Andrew!
Old 19th May 2017, 17:35
Nanabug Nanabug est déconnecté
Flawless

People used to really slag off Andrew saying my that he didn't even really play the guitar/it wasn't plugged in back in the Wham days. I've been going back and watching old Wham videos on YouTube and just watched Top of the Pops when they did "Edge of Heaven". Andrew totally had a guitar solo near the end of that song so I think it's pretty clear that he did know how to play the guitar well and he was definitely playing when George was singing. One other thing I noticed in that particular video was that Geirge appeared to be wearing the leather jacket that he wore in the Faith tour. Am I correct that it's the same jacket...I know a lot of you are a lot more savvy on George trivia than me :-)
Old 19th May 2017, 17:37
Nanabug Nanabug est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithgirl17 View Post
I hope Andrew is doing g ok. I noticed the picture that was taken at the royal oak was taken on April 29 which is exactly one month since the funeral for George. You are always in my prayers Andrew!
I hope so too! It's a lot to take in to have your best friend die and possible break up of long term romantic relationship as well. Hopefully he has good friends nearby that support him. I think Shirlie and Pepsi would but they aren't nearby.
Old 19th May 2017, 18:25
faithgirl17 faithgirl17 est déconnecté
Star People

I know he has a lot of friends that go bike riding with him. Hopefully he is close to some of them. I just hope he knows how much we appreciate him and his loyalty to George throughout all this mess. It shows just how much he loved George.
Old 19th May 2017, 18:33
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabug View Post
People used to really slag off Andrew saying my that he didn't even really play the guitar/it wasn't plugged in back in the Wham days. I've been going back and watching old Wham videos on YouTube and just watched Top of the Pops when they did "Edge of Heaven". Andrew totally had a guitar solo near the end of that song so I think it's pretty clear that he did know how to play the guitar well and he was definitely playing when George was singing. One other thing I noticed in that particular video was that Geirge appeared to be wearing the leather jacket that he wore in the Faith tour. Am I correct that it's the same jacket...I know a lot of you are a lot more savvy on George trivia than me :-)
Yes it is the jacket! As for "Top of Pops" thought that was all lip synched, just record playing, idea is to push the single recorded. Hmm.. think it's possible he didn't play as much as you think, doesn't mean much now though, GM was ok it seemed with whatever Andrew's contribution was. The best friend thing, think it was more a life long bond from childhood, and the music industry experience they went thru. I don't think they were in each other's lives on a very regular basis, do you? Not saying his loss of George wasn't immensely felt though and I know he was there when he needed him, they did still get together.
Old 19th May 2017, 18:52
Onemoretry Onemoretry est actuellement connecté
Flawless

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/05/19...sing-sex-life/

I can't access this, as it's blocked at work, due to the nature of the site. Can someone access it? Is it Andrew or Shirley they're referring to?
Old 19th May 2017, 19:00
Seba.GM Seba.GM est déconnecté
old fan and collector

Thanked 1,436 Times in 443 Posts

Quote:
http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/05/19...sing-sex-life/

I can't access this, as it's blocked at work, due to the nature of the site. Can someone access it? Is it Andrew or Shirley they're referring to?
Shirlie

If you are the desert
I'll be the sea
If you ever hunger
Hunger for me
Whatever you ask for
That's what I'll be
Old 19th May 2017, 19:01
Onemoretry Onemoretry est actuellement connecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seba.GM View Post
Shirlie
Thank you. They showed a picture of George and Andrew, but since it wasn't being reported anywhere else, assumed it was. Pink News is late to the party
Old 19th May 2017, 19:44
bettyblue bettyblue est actuellement connecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyblue View Post
The reawakening from the long slough of drunken despond had come one autumn night in Los Angeles. Andrew Ridgeley had flown in from Monte Carlo and was shocked to find how low George was feeling. The night before Andrew left town, George poured out his despairing heart out to his old partner in a long, booze-sodden session that George later described as an exorcism and Andrew as a confession...

ANDREW: What I remember about that night in LA is how far down he was. I was really surprised because everything in his life had gone to plan. But because I had been in Monaco and because he keeps an awful lot of what he thinks and does to himself, I had no idea that he felt so bad emotionally. What was troubling him seemed to be a combination of things: he was doubting everything, and more than anything I think he just needed to get all the tears out. I can't solve his problems for him, but I can listen to them and I can let him know that I'm there. He had been keeping everything in for so long.
He had Kathy, who was very much in love with him, but George and I were both twenty-four at the time and half our lives had more or less paralleled each other's. Neither of us are going to get that degree of closeness with anybody else.
The same episode narrated by George (interviewed by Tony Parsons for The Face magazine, November 1987):

http://www.george.michael.szm.com/Es...E1987face.html

"(...) the individual who saved him from a shrivelled liver and a withered career was an older friend. One drunken night in LA Andrew Ridgeley invited his former partner to pour it all out.
"Andrew was so great. I used him as a sounding board for everything that I thought was wrong. It was like an exorcism. He was very worried about me and he had to leave LA the next day. But when I woke up the next morning the cloud had lifted and, though I should have felt incredibly hungover, I felt brilliant. That black time ended after I had it out with Andrew. Now I am back in control."
On one level it was perfectly natural for George to get Andrew Ridgeley to perform this "exorcism", to take out all his emotional refuse - his experience in the music business had been shadowed for years by Ridgeley and they have known each other since they were both wearing the green blazers of Bushey Meads High School. But it could be possible that when it comes to the finer grades of emotion, for the more delicate things like caring rather than conquering, being supportive rather than heartbroken - for all these more subtle shades of feeling it could be that George Michael requires a male friend. Certainly it seems unlikely that anyone will ever be more important to him than Andrew Ridgeley. And sometimes I see with a mad clarity that everyone has had it wrong all along and George needed that partnership more than Ridgeley ever did."

EDIT: Here, too (interviewed in 1987 by Smash Hits):

http://www.george.michael.szm.com/Es...7sh.html#jun1a

So did you just wake up one morning and feel better?
Well, yes, that is exactly what happened. I got very very drunk one evening in the middle of last year with Andrew in Los Angeles - I was so drunk, I was sick - and I poured everything out, all the things that were worrying me about my future. Eventually I collapsed because I was so drunk and I woke the next morning feeling absolutely brilliant. It was like an exorcism, it really was. From that day on I was better. I've felt so good for the last seven or eight months. I haven't been this happy since I was 18 or 19.

Last edited by bettyblue; 23rd May 2017 at 00:23..
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bettyblue For This Useful Post:
DeepBlueDee (19th May 2017), GMfan87' (19th May 2017), Nanabug (19th May 2017), Onemoretry (19th May 2017), SirLala (19th May 2017), TrueLoveAFN (19th May 2017)
Old 19th May 2017, 22:03
SirLala SirLala est actuellement connecté
Flawless

I also get the impression that George was the kind of person that didn't want to be alone, he was private but always had a companion with him at all times, if that makes sense?
The Following User Says Thank You to SirLala For This Useful Post:
Onemoretry (19th May 2017)