George Michael Forums

Go Back   George Michael Forums > George Michael > General Discussion

Old 29th April 2017, 14:33
GMfan87' GMfan87' est déconnecté
Flawless

There's a quip by Bell in there that when George was getting ready to part ways with him , the Phillipine revolution was going on and he wanted to be watching that instead of having another lunch with George Michael! Acerbic , British wit, love it.
The Following User Says Thank You to GMfan87' For This Useful Post:
ladyjayne (29th April 2017)
Old 29th April 2017, 15:45
Nanabug Nanabug est déconnecté
Star People

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeandwhamfan View Post
I got mine this week too. I'm looking forward to reading through it this weekend. I wish I could get a copy of Bare too, but it's going for so much money now. On Amazon, there was one selling for $4000.
One of the forum members was going to post more excerpts from Bare....are you still going to do that because I really enjoyed the first one!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nanabug For This Useful Post:
georgeandwhamfan (29th April 2017), GMfan87' (29th April 2017)
Old 29th April 2017, 20:16
VigilanteMovie VigilanteMovie est déconnecté
Star People

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabug View Post
One of the forum members was going to post more excerpts from Bare....are you still going to do that because I really enjoyed the first one!!
I will post excerpts, hopefully start tomorrow. I haven't had much time recently. I'm also not entirely sure what has been posted from it and what hasn't, but I'll post stuff I think people might find interesting and/or I haven't seen much mention of on here.

I also recently received the Napier-Bell book, thanks to ladyjayne for recommending. I'm only five or six chapters in so far but I'm enjoying it. What colourful lives some people lead!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VigilanteMovie For This Useful Post:
georgeandwhamfan (29th April 2017), GMfan87' (29th April 2017), GoodFairy (29th April 2017), ladyjayne (29th April 2017)
Old 29th April 2017, 20:45
ladyjayne ladyjayne est actuellement connecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigilanteMovie View Post
I will post excerpts, hopefully start tomorrow. I haven't had much time recently. I'm also not entirely sure what has been posted from it and what hasn't, but I'll post stuff I think people might find interesting and/or I haven't seen much mention of on here.

I also recently received the Napier-Bell book, thanks to ladyjayne for recommending. I'm only five or six chapters in so far but I'm enjoying it. What colourful lives some people lead!
I'm so glad you are enjoying the N-B book - I'm always hesitant to recommend as my tastes can be obscure! I think the only post I saw from Bare on here was literally the preface.
Old 29th April 2017, 21:20
bettyblue bettyblue est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigilanteMovie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjayne View Post
I think the only post I saw from Bare on here was literally the preface.
It had been me; I don't own Bare; a few days ago I just posted this link (which contains excerpts taken from the very first pages of the book):

http://www.george.michael.szm.com/Ar...hy/bare_q.html

I, too, think that - given the 50/50 splitting of royalties between George and his then estranged former friend Parsons, and not knowing what their original publishing deal 27 years ago was with Penguin Books (which BTW doesn't properly exist anymore, having been incorporated 4 years ago by Random House) - it's quite difficult to tell if and when a reprint (something apparently so obvious and so easy to do) will happen.
The Following User Says Thank You to bettyblue For This Useful Post:
ladyjayne (29th April 2017)
Old 29th April 2017, 21:32
TrojanSoul TrojanSoul est déconnecté
Star People

I have an original copy of Bare which I got for Christmas when it was first published. I was just a teenager then and although I haven't opened it in years it's been everywhere with me since. It even has a little message in it which my parents wrote saying 'Merry Christmas 1990, love from mum and dad'
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrojanSoul For This Useful Post:
ladyjayne (29th April 2017), Nanabug (30th April 2017)
Old 29th April 2017, 21:40
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanSoul View Post
I have an original copy of Bare which I got for Christmas when it was first published. I was just a teenager then and although I haven't opened it in years it's been everywhere with me since. It even has a little message in it which my parents wrote saying 'Merry Christmas 1990, love from mum and dad'
Precious!
Old 29th April 2017, 21:43
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyblue View Post
It had been me; I don't own Bare; a few days ago I just posted this link (which contains excerpts taken from the very first pages of the book):

http://www.george.michael.szm.com/Ar...hy/bare_q.html

I, too, think that - given the 50/50 splitting of royalties between George and his then estranged former friend Parsons, and not knowing what their original publishing deal 27 years ago was with Penguin Books (which BTW doesn't properly exist anymore, having been incorporated 4 years ago by Random House) - it's quite difficult to tell if and when a reprint (something apparently so obvious and so easy to do) will happen.
I would imagine it depends on the extent of the republishing rights of the original contract. The issue isn't the royalties but if the publishers can reprint without a fresh contract after all this time - I suspect not. I can imagine the estate of GM blocking a reprint if their cooperation is needed.
The Following User Says Thank You to ladyjayne For This Useful Post:
bettyblue (29th April 2017)
Old 29th April 2017, 22:08
bettyblue bettyblue est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjayne View Post
I would imagine it depends on the extent of the republishing rights of the original contract. The issue isn't the royalties but if the publishers can reprint without a fresh contract after all this time - I suspect not. I can imagine the estate of GM blocking a reprint if their cooperation is needed.
Thanks. My job, too, is related to legal matters as yours but of course I don't know UK laws.

BTW, this website has got many more Bare excerpts: http://www.gminfopage.com/gmv/bare.htm.
At this point I guess it's better to create a BARE thread.
EDIT: here it is! http://georgemichaelforums.com/showthread.php?t=147665

Last edited by bettyblue; 29th April 2017 at 23:01..
The Following User Says Thank You to bettyblue For This Useful Post:
GoodFairy (29th April 2017)
Old 29th April 2017, 22:29
GoodFairy GoodFairy est actuellement connecté
Star People

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyblue View Post
BTW, this website has got many more Bare excerpts: http://www.gminfopage.com/gmv/bare.htm.
At this point I guess it's better to create a BARE thread.
If someone wants to see the photos from the Bare book, there's a poster with the pics (see George Michael and Friends Official Goodies! - Sub-forum: Books); she has got all of them when viewing her profile (Cassandra0808):

http://www.georgemichaelforums.com/a...hp?albumid=290

Just thought you want to know...
The Following User Says Thank You to GoodFairy For This Useful Post:
GMfan87' (30th April 2017)
Old 30th April 2017, 00:51
GMthx GMthx est déconnecté
Star People

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGirl View Post
I'm still waiting for my copy of the book, but am looking forward to reading it based on all the anecdotes being posted!
I ordered the book by N-P but fear there will be nothing left to read by the time it gets here with all the excepts being posted here. I'm going to have to skip the posts that deal with it from now on lol
The Following User Says Thank You to GMthx For This Useful Post:
GMfan87' (30th April 2017)