George Michael Forums

Go Back   George Michael Forums > General Affairs & Entertainment Zone > Music | Celebs | Movies | Showbiz

Notices

Old 9th May 2016, 14:38
cowboysandangels cowboysandangels est déconnecté

Default New Radiohead Album

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36246976

I suspect from this review that I will actually quite like this album - but I have Spotify and once again I find myself wondering is it really worth my subscription money if I can't access albums like this?

If anyone has heard the album, please tell me if you'd recommend and I'll gauge whether or not to fork out extra for it. Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Old 9th May 2016, 16:30
qp65 qp65 est déconnecté
Flawless

it is funny that I was thinking about asking whether someone here likes Radiohead, a band that has been highly acclaimed. I tried listening to their music a few times and have decided that their music is not for me. I do not like the darkness (and a bit pretentious) of their music, and found that there are lots of similarities btw R and Coldplay, another highly acclaimed band I could not really appreciate. I hear their new song Burn the Witch on YT, but did not care for it. Maybe someone can explain their appealing to me.
Old 10th May 2016, 21:00
Older445 Older445 est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by qp65 View Post
it is funny that I was thinking about asking whether someone here likes Radiohead, a band that has been highly acclaimed. I tried listening to their music a few times and have decided that their music is not for me. I do not like the darkness (and a bit pretentious) of their music, and found that there are lots of similarities btw R and Coldplay, another highly acclaimed band I could not really appreciate. I hear their new song Burn the Witch on YT, but did not care for it. Maybe someone can explain their appealing to me.
Radiohead is my favourite band, I like them even more than GM If you think that Coldplay and Radiohead are similar, you haven't listened to them enough (Radiohead is way better in my opinion) The melancholy in their songs is amazing. But I also didn't like them on the first listen, mainly because their music is quite complex and not very accessible. Listen to "Street Spirit" or "Pyramid Song" a few times and maybe they'll grow on you
@cowboysandangels: The new album is stunning. I'd definitely recommend it.
But we'll take our chances
Because god's stopped keeping score.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Older445 For This Useful Post:
Angelfish (24th August 2016), cowboysandangels (11th May 2016), qp65 (11th May 2016)
Old 13th May 2016, 18:28
qp65 qp65 est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Older445 View Post
Radiohead is my favourite band, I like them even more than GM If you think that Coldplay and Radiohead are similar, you haven't listened to them enough (Radiohead is way better in my opinion) The melancholy in their songs is amazing. But I also didn't like them on the first listen, mainly because their music is quite complex and not very accessible. Listen to "Street Spirit" or "Pyramid Song" a few times and maybe they'll grow on you
I agree with you about their music (instrumental part), which is often superbly crafted with broad influence (esp Pink Floyd). But I cannot say I enjoy their songs that much (sorry), which often make me feel like watching sad, very unsettling and even horror movies.
Old 13th May 2016, 20:49
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by qp65 View Post
I agree with you about their music (instrumental part), which is often superbly crafted with broad influence (esp Pink Floyd). But I cannot say I enjoy their songs that much (sorry), which often make me feel like watching sad, very unsettling and even horror movies.
yeah, most of their songs are very sad. Its just a matter of taste, I guess. Sad Songs make me feel better
The Following User Says Thank You to Older445 For This Useful Post:
qp65 (14th May 2016)
Old 19th May 2016, 13:02

Quote:
Radiohead might actually be my fave band also - I was scratching my head trying to think of another band that I preferred and U2 is up there but they have much more material I suppose.

I have been listening to a fair few of Radiohead's old albums recently - and I have to say I still think The Bends and OK Computer are their best works. OK Computer especially is astonishing - Airbag and Paranoid Android are still superb tracks and you have to remember the album is 20 years old next year - doesn't sound dated at all - in fact I love most of the tracks on that album - I'd go so far as saying it's probably one of the best albums of the 90's.

From the reviews of the new album I suspect I will love it - Radiohead work best IMO when they are most melodious but fuse it with some energy or 'soul' through the rock - but here my moaning starts...

When is it released in the shops? Can't anyone walk into a music store and expect to pick up a CD any longer?

I'm sorry but streaming quality just isn't the same - I also don't have much in the way of connections to listen to stuff other than the phone when in the car (no Bluetooth, sorry the old banger I drive to work is v old - the real cash is spent on the family vehicle!) - and Radiohead on your phone trust me just isn't the same experience...

I have tried to find OK Computer in several stores over the last week and no one has it! I will have to re-order online as I've lost my old copy of the CD. The music aisles seem dead nowadays. We really are living in a different musical world now - and have been for some years.
Old 1st July 2016, 15:19

Quote:
Finally picked the album up a few days ago... some beautiful tracks on it, not disappointed.
Old 2nd July 2016, 00:56

In love with Decks Dark at the moment. Sublime.
Old 3rd July 2016, 17:07
Flawless

Yes, Decks Dark is beautiful My favourite Track at the moment is Daydreaming.
Old 4th July 2016, 12:43

It's a strong album - really creative (and not just for the sake of it) - picked-up hints of Zeppelin and Simon & Garfunkel in places(!) - I think Daydreaming is the spookiest track on it though - the last minute or so with what sounds like some reverse-recordings sounds a bit demonic... my kids keep telling me to turn it off as they find it too scary!

At the moment I like tracks 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, and 9 the most.

Burn the Witch keeps reminding me of the soundtrack to the opening scene of The Dark Knight Rises - the bit straight after where Bane talks about 'crashing the plane with no survivors' to the end of the scene - sounds very Hans Zimmermann-esque. Love it.

Is Thom Yorke bi-polar? A lot of the music/lyrics sound manic-depressive to me. I understand he split from his partner though last year - might explain some of the inspiration for much of this album?
Old 11th July 2016, 18:40
Flawless

Yes, the breakup was definitely an inspiration for AMSP. The reversed lyrics in the end of Daydreaming are "Half of my life": Thom Yorke was married 23 Years - half of his life! I don't know if he is bipolar, but I know that he suffered from depression in the early 2000's. He seems to be quite happy at the moment though, just watch this recent live performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH8hG1Thac4
Old 24th August 2016, 11:49
Angelfish Angelfish est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
yeah, most of their songs are very sad. Its just a matter of taste, I guess. Sad Songs make me feel better
Happiness is a sad song. -Shultz. Since I was a kid, been my motto.

All of my favorite songs are sad.

I need to check this album out when I feel up to it.

Btw, Bat For Lashes new album The Bride is great if you haven't heard, worth a listen.

Oh, and the Lumineers album cleopatra is a sad masterpiece as well. Based on the life of a real person too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Angelfish For This Useful Post:
Older445 (24th August 2016)
Old 29th September 2016, 07:03
Angelfish Angelfish est déconnecté
Flawless

https://amsp-us.wasteheadquarters.co...pecial-edition

Thought that this may be interesting to some.

Special Edition of Moon Shaped Pool.