George Michael Forums

Go Back   George Michael Forums > General Affairs & Entertainment Zone > Music | Celebs | Movies | Showbiz

Notices

Old 12th October 2016, 06:02
Notorious Notorious est déconnecté

Default Peter Gabriel/OneRepublic

An artist of a similar era with huge success in the 80s and credible releases thereafter (albeit not chasing commercial success), Peter Gabriel has been about as prolific in his releases as our dear George over the last couple of decades, but still remains busy constantly touring and reinventing his back catalog (he did an orchestra tour in 2011 (before George!).

Recently he’s surprised us with a co-write and guest vocal on the new OneRepublic single, which marks the first time I’ve heard his vocal on a commercial track for yonks. He basically steals the song on the 2nd verse, and the track fades with his vocal in a more typical Gabriel fashion at the end. Excellent track, amazing vocal delivery (this guy could sing the telephone directory and it would bring shivers down your spine), and likely to expose him to a new audience. A nice way for our George to introduce himself to a younger audience . . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOORIsYvgCY
The Following User Says Thank You to Notorious For This Useful Post:
Angelfish (12th October 2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 12th October 2016, 08:27
Angelfish Angelfish est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
An artist of a similar era with huge success in the 80s and credible releases thereafter (albeit not chasing commercial success), Peter Gabriel has been about as prolific in his releases as our dear George over the last couple of decades, but still remains busy constantly touring and reinventing his back catalog (he did an orchestra tour in 2011 (before George!).

Recently he’s surprised us with a co-write and guest vocal on the new OneRepublic single, which marks the first time I’ve heard his vocal on a commercial track for yonks. He basically steals the song on the 2nd verse, and the track fades with his vocal in a more typical Gabriel fashion at the end. Excellent track, amazing vocal delivery (this guy could sing the telephone directory and it would bring shivers down your spine), and likely to expose him to a new audience. A nice way for our George to introduce himself to a younger audience . . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOORIsYvgCY
Saw something about this, but hadn't listened to it yet. I love Peter Gabriel. I was so addicted to sledgehammer when I was a little kid. That crazy video.. (That live release with the duet w/his daughter was awesome) I thought he was quite a bit older than George. Not that it matters. I like some OneRepublic too.

Guess I should check this out.

Hmm.
Not my favorite by them, but Gabriel absolutly makes the song IMO. Wow. He still sounds great.

Last edited by Angelfish; 12th October 2016 at 08:38..
The Following User Says Thank You to Angelfish For This Useful Post:
Notorious (12th October 2016)
Old 12th October 2016, 09:41
Notorious Notorious est déconnecté

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelfish View Post
Saw something about this, but hadn't listened to it yet. I love Peter Gabriel. I was so addicted to sledgehammer when I was a little kid. That crazy video.. (That live release with the duet w/his daughter was awesome) I thought he was quite a bit older than George. Not that it matters. I like some OneRepublic too.

Guess I should check this out.

Hmm.
Not my favorite by them, but Gabriel absolutly makes the song IMO. Wow. He still sounds great.
Interesting with So. Sledgehammer probably worst song on an amazing album, but a necessary evil to get the punters interested (and it sold very well indeed). Red Rain & Mercy Street are simply incredible tracks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Notorious For This Useful Post:
Angelfish (12th October 2016)
Old 12th October 2016, 11:36
cowboysandangels cowboysandangels est déconnecté

High-time the Beeb re-aired this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01r22tl

Interesting aside, PG is a great example of an artist who got interested in other things and wanted to leave his mark/use his celebrity elsewhere to make a difference. Here's a little about one of his projects: http://petergabriel.com/focus/witness/

An old schoolfriend is now a very senior member of Witness, but I lost contact with him decades ago - strangely enough I was at our old school for an open morning for one of my boys this weekend... his name did crop-up as I recounted shared experiences with one of the current crop of boys. Moving off-topic now but suffice to say the visit put me in a very philosophical mood... really feels like life is coming full-circle in more ways than one recently... can you imagine sending your own kids to the same school you went to? A maelstrom of thoughts and emotions there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cowboysandangels For This Useful Post:
Angelfish (12th October 2016), Notorious (12th October 2016)
Old 12th October 2016, 12:00
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
Interesting with So. Sledgehammer probably worst song on an amazing album, but a necessary evil to get the punters interested (and it sold very well indeed). Red Rain & Mercy Street are simply incredible tracks.
Never thought Sledgehammer was his best song, just really stuck because of the video. And I was so young..

Mercy street is my favorite, in your eyes is great too. I also like blood of Eden, red rain and I grieve. Oh, the veil, too. I don't know all of what he's done, haven't followed too close, but what I do know I like.
Notorious (12th October 2016)
Old 12th October 2016, 12:23
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysandangels View Post
High-time the Beeb re-aired this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01r22tl

Interesting aside, PG is a great example of an artist who got interested in other things and wanted to leave his mark/use his celebrity elsewhere to make a difference. Here's a little about one of his projects: http://petergabriel.com/focus/witness/

An old schoolfriend is now a very senior member of Witness, but I lost contact with him decades ago - strangely enough I was at our old school for an open morning for one of my boys this weekend... his name did crop-up as I recounted shared experiences with one of the current crop of boys. Moving off-topic now but suffice to say the visit put me in a very philosophical mood... really feels like life is coming full-circle in more ways than one recently... can you imagine sending your own kids to the same school you went to? A maelstrom of thoughts and emotions there.
That's interesting, I like it when celebs are good people, too. At least in respect to stepping out of their own ego/success /whatever and focusing on what they can do in the world other than sit on a pile of money.

As for sending your kids to your old school. The one I went to was torn down lol! But my surviving sister went there, she's ten years younger, and when she was 8-9 I felt a bit of that, going to events or chaperoning things at her school... It was so weird. you're lucky, I think it would have been great to have the opportunity, experience new things in the present with your kids, where your own past unfolded.
cowboysandangels (12th October 2016)
Old 26th October 2016, 23:27
Flawless

I recently read Peter Gabriel is being inducted to the Rock and roll hall of fame this year. (Or next year? Idk when they do the actual inductions)