George Michael Forums

Go Back   George Michael Forums > George Michael > News

Old 30th April 2017, 09:35
bettyblue bettyblue est actuellement connecté
Flawless

Thanked 1,991 Times in 658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTS View Post
Since I've learned you can't believe anything you read in newspapers, I guess I meant it would be nice of the family and/or his management team would issue a statement/keep us informed on his official website and/or official facebook page.
I agree about newspapers usually needing to be taken with a pinch of salt but those were - referring to the only part of your post which I quoted - not newspaper articles, They were both official press statements issued by George's management and sent to each and every UK media including the BBC http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-39434127...
One might say that's a cold and distant way to say thank you, perhaps, but anyway it does meet your previous post's requirements. You said they didn't even say "thank you" while they did it twice. Just that.

Last edited by bettyblue; 30th April 2017 at 23:26..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bettyblue For This Useful Post:
GMfan87' (30th April 2017), GMthx (30th April 2017), GoodFairy (30th April 2017), Katra (30th April 2017), ladyjayne (30th April 2017)
Old 30th April 2017, 14:11
GMthx GMthx est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLala View Post
I don't see any about any cancellation, it just said the family not on board with talk being make it or break it, there's still hope darling...
Darling: you need to read better. Here - I have copied and pasted directly from the article for you.
And in case you did not read what I wrote properly either- I wrote that the MEETING was cancelled.

"But plans hit a stumbling block when a meeting with his family on Thursday was called off. Organiser Dame Esther Rantzen, 76, was due to talk through her ideas for an event at the Royal Albert Hall in October."
Old 30th April 2017, 14:51
GMfan87' GMfan87' est actuellement connecté
Flawless

Thanked 1,715 Times in 822 Posts

I thought the family's statement was very nice . It also was heartwarming to hear that the fan's cards, etc left outside residences were being collected for them to see. Also David Austin was pictured reading things left outside. As for Prince while I get he was a dynamic musician and entertainer they don't seem to be letting up on tributes , doesn't that lessen the feeling after a while ?! Thought the same thing of Bowie and these things upset me because up until Grammys and Brits George was receiving little to no tributes in US. ( yea there were some magazines , newspaper articles, 20/20 special but nothing more) Yes he had no where near the output of those two artists but it still felt very wrong . It was like his huge successes and star status of the 80's was swept away. As for the family I don't feel they owe us a tribute and I certainly don't want them acting like Prince's( wasn't their money disputes in the media and other talk?) However unless they have bad feelings about the industry they can allow a tribute and not be involved in it . I do hope we see one big musical celebration but they may feel those two award show ones and his LWP release should suffice .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GMfan87' For This Useful Post:
bettyblue (30th April 2017), georgeandwhamfan (1st May 2017)
Old 30th April 2017, 15:59
qp65 qp65 est déconnecté
Flawless

There was a relatively large scale tribute to GM at Paradiso Amsterdam. Although the concert was organized probably in a hurry, some performances were great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myWeawCVuXg

There will be another big one in July at the Sydney opera house.
http://www.news.com.au/entertainment...b00286ba324dc9

George is apparently loved by many around the world. If there is no more US tribute, it does not say much about his popularity.

For Freddie's tribute, it was probably organized by the reminding members of the Queen, which ensured participation from A list artists including George, Bowie, Elton and so on. It is not easy to organize a big event with great quality like that.
The Following User Says Thank You to qp65 For This Useful Post:
GMfan87' (30th April 2017)
Old 30th April 2017, 16:52
SirLala SirLala est actuellement connecté
Flawless

Well George is getting numerous tributes in the states, just not grand scales, he has enough popularity in the states to be even getting tributes, please don't undermine him on the note.

Last edited by SirLala; 30th April 2017 at 17:18..
Old 30th April 2017, 22:55
VigilanteMovie VigilanteMovie est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfan87' View Post
I thought the family's statement was very nice . It also was heartwarming to hear that the fan's cards, etc left outside residences were being collected for them to see. Also David Austin was pictured reading things left outside. As for Prince while I get he was a dynamic musician and entertainer they don't seem to be letting up on tributes , doesn't that lessen the feeling after a while ?! Thought the same thing of Bowie and these things upset me because up until Grammys and Brits George was receiving little to no tributes in US. ( yea there were some magazines , newspaper articles, 20/20 special but nothing more) Yes he had no where near the output of those two artists but it still felt very wrong . It was like his huge successes and star status of the 80's was swept away. As for the family I don't feel they owe us a tribute and I certainly don't want them acting like Prince's( wasn't their money disputes in the media and other talk?) However unless they have bad feelings about the industry they can allow a tribute and not be involved in it . I do hope we see one big musical celebration but they may feel those two award show ones and his LWP release should suffice .
How big an icon was Bowie in America? He's always recognised for his influence and I'm a fan of much of his work, but I tend to think of him as the ultimate cult star and always assume he's as famous for his eccentricity and his changing images as he is for his music. A few weeks ago I was looking on Youtube at his Billboard chart history and he had surprisingly few top 10 hits.
Old 30th April 2017, 23:30
SirLala SirLala est actuellement connecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigilanteMovie View Post
How big an icon was Bowie in America? He's always recognised for his influence and I'm a fan of much of his work, but I tend to think of him as the ultimate cult star and always assume he's as famous for his eccentricity and his changing images as he is for his music. A few weeks ago I was looking on Youtube at his Billboard chart history and he had surprisingly few top 10 hits.
Bowie is still big in the states in terms of influence unlike George that had the impact and a little influence, but both are considered legends.
The Following User Says Thank You to SirLala For This Useful Post:
VigilanteMovie (1st May 2017)
Old 30th April 2017, 23:58
qp65 qp65 est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigilanteMovie View Post
Those are my impressions too.
The Following User Says Thank You to qp65 For This Useful Post:
VigilanteMovie (1st May 2017)
Old 1st May 2017, 00:02
qp65 qp65 est déconnecté
Flawless

someone post this news in another thread, but it should be mentioned here:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...ather-10330482

I really applaud these fans who gave George the first public goodbye.

Last edited by webmaster; 12th May 2017 at 12:39.. Reason: no hotlinking, please
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qp65 For This Useful Post:
GMfan87' (1st May 2017), SirLala (1st May 2017)
Old 1st May 2017, 00:21
GoodFairy GoodFairy est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by qp65 View Post
someone post this news in another thread, but it should be mentioned here:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...ather-10330482

I really applaud these fans who gave George the first public goodbye.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodFairy View Post
Hundreds of George Michael fans gather for first public memorial held in Wham! star's hometown

More than 350 people crammed into the church before heading to a pub afterwards to raise a toast to the deceased singer
I had doubts whether to post it here as it is abut the News but then there's a thread Remembering George with this content already so I decided to post it there. And this thread is about another topic, isn't it?
Well, better twice than once I suppose...

Last edited by GoodFairy; 1st May 2017 at 11:25..
The Following User Says Thank You to GoodFairy For This Useful Post:
qp65 (1st May 2017)