George Michael Forums

Go Back   George Michael Forums > George Michael > News

Old 22nd July 2017, 04:14
GreekGirl GreekGirl est déconnecté
Flawless

I just saw Adam Lambert perform with Queen this week (FANTASTIC!) and had no idea that he was such a great frontman! He can really sing and has an entertaining stage presence! He really impressed all the diehard rock and rollers. Now I am wondering which songs he might sing at the Angel Awards. Any educated guesses dear forum friends?

Adam gave an interview for a Canadian entertainment show while he was here, and he mentioned George Michael as one of his all-time musical heroes. He seemed to have a genuine admiration for George, and I hope it comes through when he performs at the Awards in August.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GreekGirl For This Useful Post:
GMthx (22nd July 2017), isilweth (22nd July 2017), VigilanteMovie (23rd July 2017)
Old 25th July 2017, 09:32
isilweth isilweth est déconnecté
Young Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGirl View Post
I just saw Adam Lambert perform with Queen this week (FANTASTIC!) and had no idea that he was such a great frontman! He can really sing and has an entertaining stage presence! He really impressed all the diehard rock and rollers. Now I am wondering which songs he might sing at the Angel Awards. Any educated guesses dear forum friends?

Adam gave an interview for a Canadian entertainment show while he was here, and he mentioned George Michael as one of his all-time musical heroes. He seemed to have a genuine admiration for George, and I hope it comes through when he performs at the Awards in August.
I saw Adam Lambert with Queen about 3 weeks ago and it made me very excited for his tribute to George for Project Angel Food. I hope his performance will be broadcast and/or made available for streaming or download. He doesn't have George's depth and uses a bit too much vibrato in my opinion, but I think he'll do George's songs justice.
The Following User Says Thank You to isilweth For This Useful Post:
GreekGirl (25th July 2017)
Old 13th August 2017, 18:07
EmilyPost EmilyPost est déconnecté
#######

Thanked 25,980 Times in 7,383 Posts

This event was to honor George's birthday. I don't think details have been posted here before.

Quote:
The celebration is supported by the Central Hollywood Neighborhood Council. A special caramel whisper ice cream named in honor of Michael’s hit song “Careless Whisper” will be offered, as well as a giant birthday cake. Clifford Bell will produce a musical performance by the Texas Tenors.

Michael, who will be honored posthumously, is the largest individual donor in the history of the organization. In 1993, when Project Angel Food was in dire need of support, Michael presented a $25,000 check and a handwritten note pledging his commitment.

In conjunction with the celebration, Los Angeles City Councilmember Mitch O’Farrell, 13th District, will designate June 25 as George Michael Day. Honorary chair and George Michael fan Deb Carlino is also raising funds through a Go Fund Me Campaign to match Michael’s annual donation of $25,000. Approximately $4,000 has been raised to benefit Project Angel Food.

http://beverlypress.com/2017/06/proj...haels-support/
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EmilyPost For This Useful Post:
bobbiejo (13th August 2017), GMfan87' (13th August 2017), GoodFairy (13th August 2017), Toto (13th August 2017)
Old 15th August 2017, 20:46
GoodFairy GoodFairy est déconnecté
Flawless

I don't think there is a list of all the Charities that were supported by GM on one place like in yesterday's article about Project Angel Food:
http://metrosource.com/project-angel...-adam-lambert/
Quote:
In Memoriam: A Summary of Causes & Charities Supported by George Michael
Causes:
Abuse, AIDS & HIV, Animals, At-Risk/Disadvantaged Youths, Bullying, Cancer, Children, Creative Arts, Depression and Suicide, Disaster Relief, Family/Parent Support, Grief Support, Health, Homelessness, Human Rights, Hunger, LGBT Support, Mental Challenges, Peace, Physical Challenges, Poverty, Senior Citizen Support.

Charities:
Barnardo’s, ChildLine, Children with AIDS, Comic Relief, Crusaid, Elton John AIDS Foundation, Goss-Michael Foundation, Gray Cancer Institute, Help a London Child, Jubilee Action, Macmillan Cancer Support, Marie Curie, Meals On Wheels, Mercury Phoenix Trust, Nottinghamshire Bereavement Trust, Outcome, Outline, Positive Nation, Project Angel Food, Rainbow Trust, Red Cross, Red Hot Organization, Rhys Daniels Trust, Sightsavers International, Sports Relief, St John’s Hospice, Swan Lifeline, Terrence Higgins Trust, The Food Chain, UK Thalassaemia Society, War Child.

If there is, sorry for the double post (mod., pls freely erase it in that case...)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoodFairy For This Useful Post:
BluenBaltimore (16th August 2017), GMfan87' (15th August 2017), isilweth (15th August 2017)
Old 15th August 2017, 22:28
ladyjayne ladyjayne est actuellement connecté
Flawless

Thanked 3,033 Times in 885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodFairy View Post
I don't think there is a list of all the Charities that were supported by GM on one place like in yesterday's article about Project Angel Food:
http://metrosource.com/project-angel...-adam-lambert/
Quote:
In Memoriam: A Summary of Causes & Charities Supported by George Michael
Causes:
Abuse, AIDS & HIV, Animals, At-Risk/Disadvantaged Youths, Bullying, Cancer, Children, Creative Arts, Depression and Suicide, Disaster Relief, Family/Parent Support, Grief Support, Health, Homelessness, Human Rights, Hunger, LGBT Support, Mental Challenges, Peace, Physical Challenges, Poverty, Senior Citizen Support.

Charities:
Barnardo’s, ChildLine, Children with AIDS, Comic Relief, Crusaid, Elton John AIDS Foundation, Goss-Michael Foundation, Gray Cancer Institute, Help a London Child, Jubilee Action, Macmillan Cancer Support, Marie Curie, Meals On Wheels, Mercury Phoenix Trust, Nottinghamshire Bereavement Trust, Outcome, Outline, Positive Nation, Project Angel Food, Rainbow Trust, Red Cross, Red Hot Organization, Rhys Daniels Trust, Sightsavers International, Sports Relief, St John’s Hospice, Swan Lifeline, Terrence Higgins Trust, The Food Chain, UK Thalassaemia Society, War Child.

If there is, sorry for the double post (mod., pls freely erase it in that case...)
I think it would be impossible to list all the charities and causes he supported. By way of example he gave large donations to several Cornish charities - for e.g. Cornish Hospice Care
http://www.cornwalllive.com/george-m...ail/story.html
I was only aware of that because I was down here when he died and saw local news where local people and charities were remembering his donations. The same probably happened in other parts of the country where he had connections.

Similarly, due to family in Goring I have heard of numerous causes he supported locally in Berkshire and Oxfordshire. Here's one where he secretly funded a campaign to save a local (to Goring) beauty spot from development.
http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/149...e_beauty_spot/

As well as the article there is an interview on Youtube which we are not allowed to link but you can find by a search where one of the campaigners talks about him and what he did for them.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ladyjayne For This Useful Post:
bettyblue (18th August 2017), BluenBaltimore (16th August 2017), GoodFairy (15th August 2017), isilweth (15th August 2017), Onemoretry (15th August 2017)
Old 15th August 2017, 22:51
GoodFairy GoodFairy est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjayne View Post
I think it would be impossible to list all the charities and causes he supported. (...) Similarly, due to family in Goring I have heard of numerous causes he supported locally in Berkshire and Oxfordshire. Here's one where he secretly funded a campaign to save a local (to Goring) beauty spot from development.
http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/149...e_beauty_spot/ ...)
thanks ! And I thought the above list I posted was long
Here's a nice quote regarding the donation to save the Radley Lakes (saw it on Net, very nice nature and wildlife):
Abingdon children’s author and Radley Lakes supporter Paul Gustafson asked Mr Michael for help and in February 2008 - just as the campaigners had been slapped with a hefty legal bill - he donated £7,800 plus £2,200 in gift aid.
Mr Gustafson (...) said: "When I asked George for a donation he was very sweet and said yes without hesitation. He didn't want any credit for it. He was a superb guy. "He had a great love of nature and loved birds, animals and fish and said he wouldn't like something like that to happen."

He showed that in the pics from his garden, didn't he
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GoodFairy For This Useful Post:
bettyblue (18th August 2017), BluenBaltimore (16th August 2017), GMfan87' (16th August 2017), isilweth (15th August 2017)
Old 16th August 2017, 03:17
GMMegaFan GMMegaFan est déconnecté
Flawless

Thanked 2,293 Times in 704 Posts

The list of the charity work GM did is endless and I am sure there are so many that have gone unreported. Who knows how many more random acts like this 99,000 pound donation to Kenyan AIDS Charity he actually did:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/295913...al-or-no-deal/

He was the chief patron for the United Kingdom Thalassemia Society (UKTS) and seems to have made a significant impact on the Greek Cypriot community who are hit hard by this rare blood disorder. This is an article from pappaspost, a publication for the Greek Diaspora, on the impact of GMs charity for UKTS:
http://www.pappaspost.com/george-mic...nificant-ways/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GMMegaFan For This Useful Post:
bettyblue (18th August 2017), GoodFairy (16th August 2017)
Old 16th August 2017, 03:23
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMegaFan View Post

He was the chief patron for the United Kingdom Thalassemia Society (UKTS) and seems to have made a significant impact on the Greek Cypriot community who are hit hard by this rare blood disorder. This is an article from pappaspost, a publication for the Greek Diaspora, on the impact of GMs charity for UKTS:
http://www.pappaspost.com/george-mic...nificant-ways/
He was a mainstay of that charity and I hope its one that benefits from his will as it is relatively small and very dependant on him.
The Following User Says Thank You to ladyjayne For This Useful Post:
GoodFairy (16th August 2017)
Old 16th August 2017, 15:39
GMMegaFan GMMegaFan est déconnecté
Flawless

Thanked 2,293 Times in 704 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjayne View Post
He was a mainstay of that charity and I hope its one that benefits from his will as it is relatively small and very dependant on him.
I hope so too. I think GM would have done it. He was the main benefactor of Project Angel Food, Childline and other charities and they probably need the funds too.
Old 16th August 2017, 16:28
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMegaFan View Post
I hope so too. I think GM would have done it. He was the main benefactor of Project Angel Food, Childline and other charities and they probably need the funds too.
I guess all charities are struggling in these selfish times but I think Childline is quite high profile here in the UK now and able to attract support. With such a dedicated and successful business man as Kenny in charge of fundraising for Project Angel Food, as we are instructed, I'm sure their future is assured too. But Thalassemia is quite niche and I get the impression not that well known as a cause outside the Cypriot community it predominantly strikes over here, so it really would be fitting for them to get publicity and help.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ladyjayne For This Useful Post:
GMMegaFan (16th August 2017), Onemoretry (16th August 2017)