George Michael Forums

Go Back   George Michael Forums > George Michael > News

Old 15th December 2016, 19:07
KojiTaku KojiTaku est déconnecté
GMFs-unfit

Love2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelfish View Post
Yeah hard to imagine GM not being involved in the production.
yeah that's the same with me here!
Quote:
I personally don't expect anything from GM.com unless they're about to drop a song/record.
you expect nothing? but they updated nearly 10 "news" this year! Isn't that much?

well...
Old 15th December 2016, 20:20
Angelfish Angelfish est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by KojiTaku View Post
yeah that's the same with me here!

you expect nothing? but they updated nearly 10 "news" this year! Isn't that much?

well...
There's been barely any news. Only regurgitated photos in a looong time, until they said he was looking for photos etc. fb was full of fans freaking out thinking he was dead or something. No Twitter until the vogue video. It's been weird.

Also isn't he notoriously secretive about music he's working on? When he last said he was almost ready to release an album, something happened, then it never came. Was in an interview I think at least two years ago?

I'll just be surprised if they say something until he's done with it. Or nearly done.
Old 19th December 2016, 20:43
Fennris Fennris est déconnecté
Holistic Haberdasher

I'm not at all familiar with this Naughty Boy. However, I long believed that George should let others produce any new music he releases. I know George has a history of doing everything himself, but the right producer can take average material and really make it shine. Here's hoping it's a fruitful collaboration.
zeph11 (23rd December 2016)
Old 19th December 2016, 22:25
Notorious Notorious est déconnecté

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fennris View Post
I'm not at all familiar with this Naughty Boy. However, I long believed that George should let others produce any new music he releases. I know George has a history of doing everything himself, but the right producer can take average material and really make it shine. Here's hoping it's a fruitful collaboration.
Haven’t heard of this guy, and I do doubt George will be following trend on any new release. That ship set sail many moons ago. I’m banking on an unannounced release overnight, with an album showcasing his songwriting skills - a far cry from the dance floor and any chart fodder that’s around at the moment. A mostly down-tempo/stripped soul bearing album produced by Rick Rubin is what’s required right now.

George should release an album with little promotion and let the music do the talking. In this day and age with social media spreading the word faster than fire, a good album from a reputable artist will find a life of its own. Much more than it had a chance of doing back in 1990.

Last edited by Notorious; 19th December 2016 at 23:55..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Notorious For This Useful Post:
Angelfish (20th December 2016), Parklife (20th December 2016)
Old 20th December 2016, 00:04
Holistic Haberdasher

Except that he's NOT a reputable artist, and has been mostly forgotten by the world at large. There is NO chance of a new album doing well for him, without a great deal of promoting.
Old 20th December 2016, 00:46
Amazone

Quote:
There is NO chance of a new album doing well for him, without a great deal of promoting.
Why?
Old 20th December 2016, 01:25
Holistic Haberdasher

It SHOULD be pretty obvious..
The average person (non fan) isn't even aware that George is even still IN the business of making music. Therefore he would need a great deal of promotion to make anyone care...
Old 20th December 2016, 02:23
Parklife Parklife est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
The average person (non fan) isn't even aware that George is even still IN the business of making music. Therefore he would need a great deal of promotion to make anyone care...
I don't know how these things work really but i believe the promotion for Patience did wonders. Some may say that's because it needed it as it wasn't as good an album as his previous, but i do wonder if a new album, even if fantastic, could survive without promotion from him.Does he care at this stage as long as he produces quality?....I suspect he does!..so i'd be very surprised if there is no promotion for his next product (though i do take Notorious' point about social media changing the way things are perceived these days). Time will tell.
The Following User Says Thank You to Parklife For This Useful Post:
Old 20th December 2016, 02:55

Quote:
Without a doubt a new release by George (of new material) would debut at number 1 in the UK, and hit the top 10 in many other European countries. I’m not talking about the dizzy ‘Faith’ heights of success, but 4-5 million off the back of a strong loyal following, and good critical reviews pulling in the curious and those on the fence.

Getting past the initial sales would require promotion, with the best buck being a television special in line with the unplugged concert, with a few contemporary duets (hate to say it - Sam Smith, Adele) if he wants to drag in the younger punters.

I don’t think George will ever again do another world, and even the TV special might be beyond him. A simple TV advert showcasing how good the tracks are, positive reviews and hopefully a few television appearances would be enough to clock up decent enough sales in proportion to Georges ability (or desire) to promote to any large degree.
Parklife (20th December 2016)
Old 20th December 2016, 03:10

Quote:
Symphonica, an album of 'covers of covers' did pretty well, even if it was a load of you know what. Looks like some interest still in the old fella . . .

Chart (2014)

Peak
position

Australian Albums
Austrian Albums
Belgian Albums
Belgian Albums
Croatian Foreign Albums
Danish Albums
French Albums
German Albums
Hungarian Albums
Irish Albums
Italian Albums
Dutch Albums
New Zealand Albums
Norwegian Albums
Polish Albums
Portuguese Albums
Scottish Albums
Spanish Albums
Swiss Albums
UK Albums
US Billboard
Old 20th December 2016, 03:20
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
Without a doubt a new release by George (of new material) would debut at number 1 in the UK, and hit the top 10 in many other European countries. I’m not talking about the dizzy ‘Faith’ heights of success, but 4-5 million off the back of a strong loyal following, and good critical reviews pulling in the curious and those on the fence.

Getting past the initial sales would require promotion, with the best buck being a television special in line with the unplugged concert, with a few contemporary duets (hate to say it - Sam Smith, Adele) if he wants to drag in the younger punters.

I don’t think George will ever again do another world, and even the TV special might be beyond him. A simple TV advert showcasing how good the tracks are, positive reviews and hopefully a few television appearances would be enough to clock up decent enough sales in proportion to Georges ability (or desire) to promote to any large degree.
I think he could hold his own without the duets. (Personally I think he should. But just my opinion.) If the album is good, it's gonna do well in Europe /UK (and do ok even if it's not) I really hope you're right about the style of a new album. I think trying to sound like the current pop artists would be a travesty.
The Following User Says Thank You to Angelfish For This Useful Post:
Old 20th December 2016, 03:25

Quote:
I think he could hold his own without the duets. (Personally I think he should. But just my opinion.) If the album is good, it's gonna do well in Europe /UK (and do ok even if it's not) I really hope you're right about the style of a new album. I think trying to sound like the current pop artists would be a travesty.
Totally agree. Duets (especially these ones) were suggested as a means of reaching a wider audience, that's all :-)
Angelfish (20th December 2016)
Old 20th December 2016, 11:24
KojiTaku KojiTaku est déconnecté
GMFs-unfit

Shakehead

Quote:
I would care!
No Promotion needed for me! - butt a good album!... no re-release, no boxset of stuff a fan already has!

Butyes if he still needs to be listened (to?) by anyone, yeah he damn has to shake his ass/butt around the world again...
Old 20th December 2016, 13:00
Flawless

http://metro.co.uk/2016/12/20/video-...thing-6334035/

So naughty Boy has a new album due in April, and supposedly GM will be in one of the songs. But then he adds 'hopefully'

This guy is working with a lot of big names, maybe it's GMs way of reminding the music world who he is and what he can do. I just hope it's a track with the integrity it deserves, if he does it.

Collab on someone else's album full of current pop stars? Pretty easy way to get noticed again, and to the younger crowd.

Last edited by Angelfish; 20th December 2016 at 13:21..
The Following User Says Thank You to Angelfish For This Useful Post:
KojiTaku (21st December 2016)
Old 20th December 2016, 13:24
Parklife Parklife est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
But the thing is he still has an awful lot of fans who care very much. Certainly enough to get an album to number one in quite a few countries. That's sucessful for most artists. As Notorious says the promotion would be to increase that and reach out to non fans or people who may have liked him once and given up. So I half agree with you in that he needs some promotion to do himself justice so non fans hear the album but he doesn't need it for it to do reasonably well sales wise.