George Michael Forums

Go Back   George Michael Forums > George Michael > News

Old 13th August 2017, 01:42
Penguin Penguin est déconnecté
Young Gun

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I was browsing the forum for a few weeks, but time has come to finally say something.

I was born in 1993 so years after Wham! or Faith days. Of course, when growing up, I heard GM’s greatest hits like Wake Me Up Before You Go Go, Last Christmas, Careless Whisper or Amazing, really liked them, but never have particular interest in GM as a man and an artist to, for example, check videos from his concerts or listen to other, not-so-popular tracks from his albums. Well, I didn’t even know that all these songs were sung by GM. You heard something on the radio, but they not always said whose song it was, like Amazing was really popular back in 2004 in radio stations, but I didn’t know it’s GM’s song. Well, maybe because I was 11 back then.

Information about GM’s death completely passed me by. I heard about it in news, read something about him on the Internet and moved on. Everything has changed in June by accident, six months after George’s last Christmas. For a few months I was going to second-hand shops in my city in delivery days to buy dirt-cheap used video games, blu-rays, collectible toys etc. as I always liked these kind of things. They often had music CDs too, but usually there were people who cleaned shelves with them in minutes after opening. But this time was different since there was no one interested in CDs. I bought over a dozen of them and I think you can guess whose one of those CDs was. Yeah, it was first 1987 edition of Faith.
When I’ve played this disc for the first time I was blown away by quality of songs on this album and was wondering how it was possible that most of them I heard 1st time in my life. Every single song was fantastic. Faith, Father Figure, Hand to Mouth. Quality of this album is out of this world.

But one of these songs is special for me and I think will be with me forever. One More Try. When I heard it, tears bring to my eyes and I felt something in my heart. It was because of beauty and sadness of this song. At this moment, I realized that George Michael was not just another pop star, but someone really special. After that it all goes very quickly. I watched ton of movies with him on YT, fragments of concerts (why Faith tour was never released on DVD? GM’s dance was so amazing back then), bought few albums (Best of Wham, Ladies & Gentleman, Patience) as a birthday gift for myself, read interviews etc. There is not a day for me without listening his songs or watching some videos. And of course I find out this forum.

Now I can only regret that all of this happen to me when George is not with us anymore. I will never have a chance to be on his concert, while George had 2 concerts in my country (I live in Poland) in recent years. Or I could just had hope for a new tour in next years. Or a new album. Now all hope is lost. This feeling when you know that something is definitely over is really broking my heart. Reading about all of his problems with depression, loneliness etc. doesn’t help either. I can really understand how it is to feel lonely despite being surrounded with people.

But what I would like to say is that George’s music is timeless and George himself is timeless. There will be new people learning about him and his music every year, just like me. I’m here just because of random finding in second-hand shop. Why I haven’t found out Faith album on YT earlier? It was there for years. Now, I can only regret it. I think that describing myself as a fan would be disrespectful for people who were following him from the beginnings of his career, like probably many of members here. These are true fans and I can’t even imagine how painful was death of their idol for them.

It wasn’t supposed to be that long, sorry for that. Well, maybe someone’ll read it after all. I don’t have anyone with whom I can sincerely talk about it and I was gathering in myself to write this post for some time so maybe that’s why it’s so long.

PS English is not my main language so sorry if I made any mistakes.
The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to Penguin For This Useful Post:
astrokurtis (14th August 2017), atevi (13th August 2017), bettyblue (18th August 2017), BluenBaltimore (16th August 2017), DeepBlueDee (14th August 2017), EvenOlder (17th August 2017), Fish (14th August 2017), GMMegaFan (13th August 2017), GoodFairy (13th August 2017), GreekGirl (13th August 2017), Heidi1 (13th August 2017), heights91 (15th August 2017), isilweth (13th August 2017), Katra (13th August 2017), ladyjayne (13th August 2017), Lalaland (13th August 2017), Love George Michael (17th August 2017), Napagirl (13th August 2017), neko011 (13th August 2017), Onemoretry (13th August 2017), Parklife (17th August 2017), Seba.GM (13th August 2017), Shooting Star (15th August 2017), SpinningTheWheel (13th August 2017), sugarlips (14th August 2017), TXMissy (13th August 2017), yog_63 (13th August 2017)
Old 13th August 2017, 01:50
GMfan87' GMfan87' est déconnecté
Flawless

Thanked 1,710 Times in 819 Posts

I love, love your post , and your English is quite good! So glad to hear you discovered George . You are a fan just like any of us , there are all different types of fans here and all over. This is a great place for a new fan , much info . here ( discussions of music, pictures etc.) and very nice people to chat with . It is sad you came to him afterwards but at least you did , better late than .. Welcome !
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to GMfan87' For This Useful Post:
astrokurtis (14th August 2017), bettyblue (18th August 2017), Fish (14th August 2017), GoodFairy (13th August 2017), heights91 (15th August 2017), Love George Michael (17th August 2017), Napagirl (13th August 2017), neko011 (13th August 2017), Penguin (13th August 2017)
Old 13th August 2017, 03:21
WhamMan WhamMan est déconnecté

Thanked 1,104 Times in 366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onemoretry View Post
George Michael battled for happiness for years and struggled with his sexuality, says old friend Tony Hadley

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrit...years-10054881
Come on Tony, you're better than feeding the press with negative sh*t like this. We know you're right but let's have positive stuff as he was your mate.

And btw you've made yourself look a complete fool leaving Spandau just so you can do your sad man 80s tours with Wang Cheung and Berlin.

Spandau are fantastic live (well I just like them a lot anyhow) and I've seen them a couple of times in recent years.

In fact the last time was a couple of years ago and we were sat right by where Shirley was standing at the production console. It was the best I could do to stop myself asking her if George was okay as it was in the middle of his 'missing' period.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhamMan For This Useful Post:
GMthx (13th August 2017), His Yog (15th August 2017)
Old 13th August 2017, 03:32
ladyjayne ladyjayne est actuellement connecté
Flawless

Thanked 3,033 Times in 885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I was browsing the forum for a few weeks, but time has come to finally say something.

I was born in 1993 so years after Wham! or Faith days. Of course, when growing up, I heard GM’s greatest hits like Wake Me Up Before You Go Go, Last Christmas, Careless Whisper or Amazing, really liked them, but never have particular interest in GM as a man and an artist to, for example, check videos from his concerts or listen to other, not-so-popular tracks from his albums. Well, I didn’t even know that all these songs were sung by GM. You heard something on the radio, but they not always said whose song it was, like Amazing was really popular back in 2004 in radio stations, but I didn’t know it’s GM’s song. Well, maybe because I was 11 back then.

Information about GM’s death completely passed me by. I heard about it in news, read something about him on the Internet and moved on. Everything has changed in June by accident, six months after George’s last Christmas. For a few months I was going to second-hand shops in my city in delivery days to buy dirt-cheap used video games, blu-rays, collectible toys etc. as I always liked these kind of things. They often had music CDs too, but usually there were people who cleaned shelves with them in minutes after opening. But this time was different since there was no one interested in CDs. I bought over a dozen of them and I think you can guess whose one of those CDs was. Yeah, it was first 1987 edition of Faith.
When I’ve played this disc for the first time I was blown away by quality of songs on this album and was wondering how it was possible that most of them I heard 1st time in my life. Every single song was fantastic. Faith, Father Figure, Hand to Mouth. Quality of this album is out of this world.

But one of these songs is special for me and I think will be with me forever. One More Try. When I heard it, tears bring to my eyes and I felt something in my heart. It was because of beauty and sadness of this song. At this moment, I realized that George Michael was not just another pop star, but someone really special. After that it all goes very quickly. I watched ton of movies with him on YT, fragments of concerts (why Faith tour was never released on DVD? GM’s dance was so amazing back then), bought few albums (Best of Wham, Ladies & Gentleman, Patience) as a birthday gift for myself, read interviews etc. There is not a day for me without listening his songs or watching some videos. And of course I find out this forum.

Now I can only regret that all of this happen to me when George is not with us anymore. I will never have a chance to be on his concert, while George had 2 concerts in my country (I live in Poland) in recent years. Or I could just had hope for a new tour in next years. Or a new album. Now all hope is lost. This feeling when you know that something is definitely over is really broking my heart. Reading about all of his problems with depression, loneliness etc. doesn’t help either. I can really understand how it is to feel lonely despite being surrounded with people.

But what I would like to say is that George’s music is timeless and George himself is timeless. There will be new people learning about him and his music every year, just like me. I’m here just because of random finding in second-hand shop. Why I haven’t found out Faith album on YT earlier? It was there for years. Now, I can only regret it. I think that describing myself as a fan would be disrespectful for people who were following him from the beginnings of his career, like probably many of members here. These are true fans and I can’t even imagine how painful was death of their idol for them.

It wasn’t supposed to be that long, sorry for that. Well, maybe someone’ll read it after all. I don’t have anyone with whom I can sincerely talk about it and I was gathering in myself to write this post for some time so maybe that’s why it’s so long.

What a beautiful and heartfelt first post, in excellent English. I hope it is the first of many and you find many people to discuss George and his music. One More Try is my favourite GM song (along with A Different Corner).
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ladyjayne For This Useful Post:
bettyblue (18th August 2017), Fish (14th August 2017), GoodFairy (13th August 2017), His Yog (15th August 2017), Napagirl (13th August 2017), neko011 (13th August 2017), Onemoretry (13th August 2017), Penguin (13th August 2017), yog_63 (13th August 2017)
Old 13th August 2017, 03:49
Onemoretry Onemoretry est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjayne View Post
What a beautiful and heartfelt first post, in excellent English. I hope it is the first of many and you find many people to discuss George and his music. One More Try is my favourite GM song (along with A Different Corner).
As is mine, obviously. It was the first song I heard from FAITH, was hooked, and never looked back. George penned some masterpieces, but this has remained my favorite.

Last edited by Onemoretry; 13th August 2017 at 04:01..
The Following User Says Thank You to Onemoretry For This Useful Post:
Penguin (13th August 2017)
Old 13th August 2017, 04:18
GMMegaFan GMMegaFan est déconnecté
Flawless

Thanked 2,293 Times in 704 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamMan View Post
Come on Tony, you're better than feeding the press with negative sh*t like this. We know you're right but let's have positive stuff as he was your mate.
Let us be fair. Look at the dateline on the article, March 19 2017. This is an old article when Tony was asked about GM before his funeral. The link was posted in the Forum in March. It is not like Tony Hadley is now saying things about GM and whatever was said was said in a certain context at that time.

I thought Tony Hadley was perceptive in some of the things he said and probably understood things better as a performer himself:
Tony, 56, says: “I know George had not been in a good place for many years. You do a tour and it is great and it is wonderful and then you think ‘I want to do it better next time’. But you get scared to do it better. I think with George it all seemed to fall in on him."
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to GMMegaFan For This Useful Post:
BluenBaltimore (16th August 2017), Bobby101 (13th August 2017), Fish (14th August 2017), GMfan87' (13th August 2017), GMthx (13th August 2017), GreekGirl (13th August 2017), ladyjayne (13th August 2017), megancat (13th August 2017), Onemoretry (13th August 2017)
Old 13th August 2017, 04:53
megancat megancat est déconnecté
Young Gun

Can you really argue with Hadley's statement that GM never was truly comfortable with being gay? Explains a lot, including his cruising which GM acknowledged as being somewhat absurd for someone in his position.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to megancat For This Useful Post:
GMMegaFan (13th August 2017), Onemoretry (13th August 2017)
Old 13th August 2017, 05:10
GMfan87' GMfan87' est déconnecté
Flawless

Thanked 1,710 Times in 819 Posts

Completely agree with you . If that he was closeted was his main issue why did he start falling apart publicly in subsequent years ( after the public outing ) ?! I think he didn't fully accept it and image was important to him prior to that and controlling it , once out he could no longer do that . That being said I believe what we've seen from the outside perspective he had many other issues he was contending with that if not that he had much else to work out .
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GMfan87' For This Useful Post:
duke (13th August 2017), Fish (14th August 2017), GMMegaFan (13th August 2017), Love George Michael (17th August 2017), megancat (13th August 2017), Onemoretry (13th August 2017)
Old 13th August 2017, 05:34
Onemoretry Onemoretry est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by megancat View Post
Can you really argue with Hadley's statement that GM never was truly comfortable with being gay? Explains a lot, including his cruising which GM acknowledged as being somewhat absurd for someone in his position.
George admitted he cruised, when he was feeling badly about himself. He also said in some interviews, he didn't do it anymore, but he never stopped. It was self loathing, and punishment, IMO. The depression, which started at the end of WHAM!, was when he realized, or accepted, he was gay. It's also when he admitted he started taking drugs, which was self medicating. Andros said the "outing" was the beginning of the end, and I have always believed that to be true. He fell out of public life, after 1998. When he returned with Patience, in 2004, every interview he did, had to deal with the 1998 incident, including the OPRAH interview, which made me cringe. As much as he tried to put a good face and spin on it, I think he had to relive it, and it took a toll on him, and started his downward spiral, from which he never returned

Last edited by Onemoretry; 13th August 2017 at 06:08..
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Onemoretry For This Useful Post:
duke (13th August 2017), Fish (14th August 2017), GMfan87' (13th August 2017), GMMegaFan (13th August 2017), Heidi1 (14th August 2017), megancat (13th August 2017)
Old 13th August 2017, 06:17
GMthx GMthx est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Maybe it is Fony Tony talking to the Mirror, or the Mirror making up more fony news?

xxxxx Guinness
It also from about 5 months ago.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GMthx For This Useful Post:
GMMegaFan (13th August 2017), GoodFairy (13th August 2017)
Old 13th August 2017, 06:54
Napagirl Napagirl est déconnecté
Young Gun

Quote:

Love your post !!! Most of us here perfectly understand your feelings. George just reaches out and grabs your heart, doesn't he! I'm not usually overly emotional but I've had a hard time grieving his loss, as many others have. Reading the posts on this forum helps a lot. So glad you found George!!!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Napagirl For This Useful Post:
bettyblue (18th August 2017), BluenBaltimore (16th August 2017), Fish (14th August 2017), GMfan87' (13th August 2017), GMMegaFan (13th August 2017), GoodFairy (13th August 2017), ladyjayne (13th August 2017), Penguin (13th August 2017)
Old 13th August 2017, 08:00
Flawless

Quote:
But what I would like to say is that George’s music is timeless and George himself is timeless. There will be new people learning about him and his music every year, just like me. I’m here just because of random finding in second-hand shop. Why I haven’t found out Faith album on YT earlier? It was there for years.
Welcome!! Very well said. When people worry about GM being forgotten, young people like you who have discovered his music recently and love his music refute that strongly.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to GMMegaFan For This Useful Post:
bettyblue (18th August 2017), BluenBaltimore (16th August 2017), Bobby101 (13th August 2017), Fish (14th August 2017), GoodFairy (13th August 2017), GreekGirl (13th August 2017), ladyjayne (13th August 2017), Penguin (13th August 2017)
Old 13th August 2017, 12:13
GoodFairy GoodFairy est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I was browsing the forum for a few weeks, but time has come to finally say something.. (...)There is not a day for me without listening his songs or watching some videos. And of course I find out this forum.(...)But what I would like to say is that George’s music is timeless and George himself is timeless. There will be new people learning about him and his music every year, just like me. (...)
Hi there Penguin and welcome
It really great what you've written. As you're a 'young gun' do give yourself some more time and read through the past posts here because it will give you such a vast insight about George-there will be tears but there will be many smiles while you do.
Just recently we discussed about new fans here (sorry that one of them-Bettyblue is obviously on ferragosto/vacation now ) and it's so nice you listen to GM every day and enjoy it so much. You can also spread the word to your friends, maybe if they try to listen to his music you'll have somebody to share it 'live' not just here. His music is timeless and it's comforting to know new fans will be there always.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GoodFairy For This Useful Post:
bettyblue (18th August 2017), Fish (14th August 2017), GMfan87' (13th August 2017), GMMegaFan (14th August 2017), isilweth (13th August 2017), Penguin (13th August 2017)
Old 14th August 2017, 15:15
Flawless

I think a lot of us would like to fill up this form for FAITH as one of the best albums of 1987:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...albums-of-1987
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GMMegaFan For This Useful Post:
BluenBaltimore (16th August 2017), DeepBlueDee (15th August 2017), GoodFairy (14th August 2017), ladyjayne (15th August 2017), SirLala (15th August 2017)
Old 15th August 2017, 00:12
DeepBlueDee DeepBlueDee est actuellement connecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMegaFan View Post
I think a lot of us would like to fill up this form for FAITH as one of the best albums of 1987:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...albums-of-1987
Holy moley, I may have gone on and on for several paragraphs about the musical genius of George Michael and my love for FAITH
Hope that's what they were looking for!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeepBlueDee For This Useful Post:
GMfan87' (15th August 2017), GMMegaFan (15th August 2017), GoodFairy (15th August 2017)