George Michael Forums

Go Back   George Michael Forums > George Michael > News

Old 23rd April 2017, 15:15
Tigger1 Tigger1 est déconnecté

Thanked 1,301 Times in 283 Posts
Default George Michael tribute in October in RAH?

Just read a small article about the tribute that supposedly will be organized by Esther Rantzen, is depending on the approval of George his relatives.
Should be held in RAH, later this year. Talks should continue this thursday.

It has been mentioned before that Esther would organize a tribute.

Anyone else any info on this?

https://www.rtlnieuws.nl/boulevard/e...osse-schroeven
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tigger1 For This Useful Post:
Aimee (23rd April 2017), betteb (26th April 2017), GM40fansince'89 (24th April 2017), KojiTaku (29th April 2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 23rd April 2017, 15:21
GMfan87' GMfan87' est déconnecté
Flawless

Thanked 1,705 Times in 818 Posts

No, saw this yesterday, too . Thanks for passing it along , though
Old 26th April 2017, 16:51
betteb betteb est déconnecté
Flawless

Thanked 2,442 Times in 719 Posts

A tribute in Royal Albert Hall - hope it will come true, would be such a beautiful venue for that - also George did some of his best Symphonica performances here. - a perfect place for a tribute concert.

Don't have wishes for any special performances - as anybody here knows nobody can sing Georges songs like he could - but as long as the songs are done with love and respect its fine! - and for me Adele and Coldplay would be very welcome again!!

Last edited by betteb; 26th April 2017 at 17:53..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to betteb For This Useful Post:
mare (30th April 2017), neko011 (27th April 2017)
Old 26th April 2017, 17:31
SirLala SirLala est actuellement connecté
Flawless

Adele - Yes
Coldplay- HELL no..
The Following User Says Thank You to SirLala For This Useful Post:
Darin (1st May 2017)
Old 26th April 2017, 20:20
GMfan87' GMfan87' est déconnecté
Flawless

Thanked 1,705 Times in 818 Posts

It was said George was a Coldplay fan so that's appropriate but I agree Martin doesn't have the voice for it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GMfan87' For This Useful Post:
Katra (26th April 2017), SirLala (30th April 2017)
Old 30th April 2017, 04:03
GMthx GMthx est déconnecté
Flawless

The last report I read was that thursday's meeting with the family was cancelled. Maybe the family didn't like Esther ranzten going to the press beforehand and saying it was all up to them but they are not on board yet. Might have felt like a pressure technique and they didn't appreciate it,especially since they are so private.
Putting aside the fact that no one could ever sing George songs like George did, what other reason do you think the family would have for not wanting a tribute concert? If these reports are to be believed.
I really don't want to get into an Adele versus Chris Martin versus whoever can sing better or did a better job or didn't at the other tributes - that's been debated with no clear winning side. I'm just thinking more from the standpoint of what other reasons there would be for the family to not want a tribute concert to happen? I wonder if they are just overwhelmed so close to his death. Maybe they are dealing with a lot of stress from people crawling out of the woodwork that we were unsavoury people in George's life now, threats of stories that would damage his memory. Impending legal actions. I bet there is one heck of a lot going on behind the scenes for them. Or maybe the family has some plan of their own for a major tribute. Maybe they see the LWP documentary to come out next fall as the best tribute. Or not?

Last edited by GMthx; 30th April 2017 at 04:22..
Old 30th April 2017, 04:12
Flawless

One other thought to throw out there...there was a Freddie mercury tribute decades ago. But really how often are there tribute concerts of a large scale after someone dies? I'm not talking about smaller stuff that goes on and has for George too. Nothing large scale for Prince, Bowie, etc to my knowledge. Charity or otherwise. Perhaps we shouldn't be seeing it as the ultimate form of honouring his memory. It's not like it's been done all the time for other greats. Also the mercury concert was in an era of those things being frequent -live aid etc all in the same general era.
The documentary for LWP - whenever it finally comes out - will be broadcast around the world for all to see. I think it will actually be fitting and enough for me in terms of a major tribute. That's really what it is now because he is gone. Maybe there will be a part in the doc that gives voice to his charities too.
The Following User Says Thank You to GMthx For This Useful Post:
GMfan87' (30th April 2017)
Old 30th April 2017, 04:28
Flawless

GMthx, What report? I'm been keeping in eye on this tribute for the last four days and I've not heard anything about this, I just pulled a story that I read about the family needing to confirm doing the tribute and that it...

I can see this report please?
Old 30th April 2017, 05:57
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLala View Post
GMthx, What report? I'm been keeping in eye on this tribute for the last four days and I've not heard anything about this, I just pulled a story that I read about the family needing to confirm doing the tribute and that it...

I can see this report please?
Did you not try google during your keeping in eye?
Here is one. First that came up when I googled his name.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrit...chael-10322574
Old 30th April 2017, 06:23
Flawless

I don't see any about any cancellation, it just said the family not on board with talk being make it or break it, there's still hope darling...
Old 30th April 2017, 06:26
LTS LTS est déconnecté
Star People

[quote=GMthx;975403] Nothing large scale for Prince, Bowie, etc to my knowledge. Charity or otherwise.

fyi -- I'm a huge Prince fan so I follow everything Prince. There have been many, many large scale and small scale Prince tributes. One last fall held at an arena in Minneapolis/St. Paul .. and just this past April 21st (the one-year anniversary of his death), there were big tribute concerts for like four days up at Paisley Park and the surrounding areas.. included The Revolution, The Time, Andre Cymone, Vanity's group, NPG, etc., etc. At least Prince's family (mainly his sister) talks to the fans and tells us what's going on .. vs. George's family which has said NOTHING!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LTS For This Useful Post:
GMfan87' (30th April 2017), SirLala (30th April 2017)
Old 30th April 2017, 07:16
Flawless

LTS, it just feels a big slap in the face for the fans worldwide, this tribute concert would make up for everything from the family, I understand they want their privacy and not damaged George's legacy but what's gives?
Old 30th April 2017, 08:27
LTS LTS est déconnecté
Star People

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLala View Post
LTS, it just feels a big slap in the face for the fans worldwide, this tribute concert would make up for everything from the family, I understand they want their privacy and not damaged George's legacy but what's gives?
Oh .. I understand where you're coming from. I was just answering the particular quote that nothing was done for Prince .. and plenty has been done for him .. mainly because the family needs to make money to keep Paisley Park open. Not only did they have the tributes I listed above, there were tributes on Billboard Awards, BET Awards, AMA, Grammy's, Oscars, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame recent ceremony, etc., etc. BUT, the big piece that was missing was the man himself, Prince. And, I'm afraid that will be the same for George tributes .. he was such a brilliant performer .. like Prince .. that everybody else pales against him. BUT, I also believe George's management company and/or family needs to release a statement to the fans .. even if it's just a "thank you" for the outpouring of love and support during this difficult time. After all, if he didn't have us fans, he wouldn't have had the career he had. I do believe they owe the fans some kind of acknowledgement. Somebody on his end needs to keep the lines of communication open. There already is differing opinions on the two tributes to George .. some fans loved Adele .. some hated her performance; the same with Chris Martin. So who knows what a large scale tribute would look like/be analyzed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LTS For This Useful Post:
GM40fansince'89 (2nd May 2017), SirLala (30th April 2017)
Old 30th April 2017, 08:33
bettyblue bettyblue est actuellement connecté
Flawless

Thanked 1,951 Times in 649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTS View Post
BUT, I also believe George's management company and/or family needs to release a statement to the fans .. even if it's just a "thank you" for the outpouring of love and support during this difficult time. After all, if he didn't have us fans, he wouldn't have had the career he had. I do believe they owe the fans some kind of acknowledgement.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/27/george-michaels-family-say-touched-beyond-words-incredible-outpouring/

Dec. 2016 - "The family and close friends of George have been touched beyond words by the incredible outpouring of love for him in the hours and days since his death."

http://www.nme.com/news/music/george-michael-funeral-family-statement-2030010

March 2017 - “George Michael’s family would like to thank his fans across the world for their many messages of love and support."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bettyblue For This Useful Post:
GM40fansince'89 (2nd May 2017), GMfan87' (30th April 2017)
Old 30th April 2017, 08:44
LTS LTS est déconnecté
Star People

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyblue View Post
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/27/george-michaels-family-say-touched-beyond-words-incredible-outpouring/

Dec. 2016 - "The family and close friends of George have been touched beyond words by the incredible outpouring of love for him in the hours and days since his death."

http://www.nme.com/news/music/george-michael-funeral-family-statement-2030010

March 2017 - “George Michael’s family would like to thank his fans across the world for their many messages of love and support."
Since I've learned you can't believe anything you read in newspapers, I guess I meant it would be nice of the family and/or his management team would issue a statement/keep us informed on his official website and/or official facebook page.