George Michael Forums

Go Back   George Michael Forums > George Michael > News


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 20th June 2017, 22:45
Kitty Purry Kitty Purry est déconnecté
Flawless
 
Join Date: 02-2017
Location: SC, USA
Posts: 171
Thanks: 223
Thanked 238 Times in 85 Posts
Default

I don't know Geri but she seems like a nice lady. (HA!!I have to make note that when I typed "lady" initially that I forgot the "d"!!! The sentence may have turned into a totally different topic!)
She and George had a friendship for a long time and I think she really is a decent person who is genuinely trying to do something in honor of her dear friend who took her in when times were bad. George didn't have to do that. AT ALL. But he did. I think we should give her the benefit of the doubt here...oh, she may be loving all the media she is getting because of it, but I really want to believe she is doing this for reasons other then her self promotion.
I think it would pretty low and cold for her to do this for her own purpose....REALLY low. She isn't making any money off the song and G's singers seemed more then willing to contribute. And the song isnt that bad soooo let's support this until we see or hear otherwise.
I don't like when people judge so quickly in regards to what they THINK someone's motives are.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 20th June 2017, 23:08
Guinness Guinness est déconnecté
Flawless
 
Join Date: 03-2017
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 184
Thanks: 156
Thanked 161 Times in 95 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie View Post
People here make valid points about her. It's their opinion and far from disrespectful. Really don't know why they should not express their concerns while it's ok for you to express your unfiltered Geri love.
I am trying to hook on to facts instead of assumptions. George Michael having a strong befriended relationship with Geri for over 2 decades may be translated in a fact that she had meant a lot to him. Especially a singer who lived so close to his emotions. I may consider this as a fact. That was my answer to the question posed! A question which was meant for provoking more assumptions instead of facts. Anyways, back to the song itself guys.

xxxxx Guinness
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 20th June 2017, 23:11
Aggie Aggie est actuellement connecté
Flawless
 
Join Date: 01-2017
Location: Germany
Posts: 171
Thanks: 98
Thanked 464 Times in 134 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjayne View Post
She's not my cup of tea musically, but I struggle with the proposition that as a member of the most successful female band ever (whose departure led to it's speedy demise so presumably she wasn't just a spare part!) who then went on to have 3 or 4 no 1's in her own right, lacks any talent. I'm talentless (so far as being a recording artist is concerned) but it's a push to describe the female singer with the third-most number-one singles in UK singles chart history that way, surely? But of course people are free to dislike her and suspect her motives. At least her stories about George are pleasant and make him look good, which is more than can be said for others.
Looking at the Venga Boy's UK Chart history, I am not quite sure that chart success indicates real talent 🙂

As far as Geri's little old stories are concerned, don't find them flattering for both of them at all ( he bought me things, we went shopping, that fridge story, dressing her up). It sounds rather shallow. George was obviously very generous, always helping her out. Was it ever the other way round? Was she really a good friend or just one of the many oportunists? She is a rather controversial person, many people who dealt with her have expressed their views on her, which paint a rather negative picture. I do hope that she was a good friend to George.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aggie For This Useful Post:
yog_63 (20th June 2017)
  #34  
Old 20th June 2017, 23:15
Aggie Aggie est actuellement connecté
Flawless
 
Join Date: 01-2017
Location: Germany
Posts: 171
Thanks: 98
Thanked 464 Times in 134 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
I am trying to hook on to facts instead of assumptions. George Michael having a strong befriended relationship with Geri for over 2 decades may be translated in a fact that she had meant a lot to him. Especially a singer who lived so close to his emotions. I may consider this as a fact. That was my answer to the question posed! A question which was meant for provoking more assumptions instead of facts. Anyways, back to the song itself guys.

xxxxx Guinness
I don't think people make false assumptions when they say they don't like the song and the way she is promoting it/ herself and how little the charity realistically will profit from it.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aggie For This Useful Post:
DeepBlueDee (21st June 2017), yog_63 (20th June 2017)
  #35  
Old 20th June 2017, 23:23
yog_63 yog_63 est déconnecté
Young Gun
 
Join Date: 01-2017
Location: UK
Posts: 29
Thanks: 120
Thanked 122 Times in 24 Posts
Default

perhaps i am swayed by speculation about the status of their friendship, and whether there is any truth in the suggestions as to why he distanced himself from her some time back. it remains speculation

i will be re-orientating my attention and thoughts back to George. this Sunday will be his birthday and will mark 6 months to his passing. its so incredibly sad, and i will most certainly be remembering him through his beautiful voice and music, not through this song
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yog_63 For This Useful Post:
Aggie (20th June 2017), DeepBlueDee (21st June 2017)
  #36  
Old 20th June 2017, 23:36
ladyjayne ladyjayne est actuellement connecté
Flawless
 
Join Date: 03-2017
Location: uk
Posts: 1,123
Thanks: 1,038
Thanked 3,052 Times in 893 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie View Post
Looking at the Venga Boy's UK Chart history, I am not quite sure that chart success indicates real talent 🙂

As far as Geri's little old stories are concerned, don't find them flattering for both of them at all ( he bought me things, we went shopping, that fridge story, dressing her up). It sounds rather shallow. George was obviously very generous, always helping her out. Was it ever the other way round? Was she really a good friend or just one of the many oportunists? She is a rather controversial person, many people who dealt with her have expressed their views on her, which paint a rather negative picture. I do hope that she was a good friend to George.
Aggie, I really don't want to argue with someone as knowledgeable and fair-minded as you, but I'm struggling to get the point. I had no idea of who the Venga Boy's were/are so had to google - they appear to have had 2 UK no1 singles (for one week each time) in the 1990's! Are you seriously saying that is comparable with the Spice Girls (or even Geri Halliwell's solo hits?) Am I missing something? Every country's music industry throws up the odd novelty hit but few produce anything as commercially successful as the Spice Girls. Again, not my cup of tea - I own literally thousands of LPs and CD's and not a one by the Spice Girls (unless maybe on a compilation somewhere) but I can acknowledge talent in areas I don't personally appreciate.

Let me share one of her 'little old stories' I do find moving. I'm not too impressed George bought her a Merc, but the fact he bought her a rocking chair to nurse her baby in (and took her in for the second time - she doesn't say it in these interviews but she had a very public and painful falling out with the father of that child) strikes me as an enormously tender and thoughtful gift (which no straight man would have dreamt of getting btw!) Maybe I'm a sentimental old fool but I think Geri gets nothing out of sharing that story, which in fact relates to a very painful time in her life, but wittingly or unwittingly show his qualities. It's not he liked shopping and she liked presents; it's he knew how to give people what they needed and she felt cherished by that. I don't find that shallow.
Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ladyjayne For This Useful Post:
Ciara1976 (21st June 2017), DonnaJ (21st June 2017), GMfan87' (21st June 2017), isilweth (21st June 2017), KAB71 (21st June 2017), Katra (20th June 2017), Kitty Purry (21st June 2017), KojiTaku (23rd June 2017), Nanabug (21st June 2017)
  #37  
Old 21st June 2017, 00:06
GMfan87''s Avatar
GMfan87' GMfan87' est actuellement connecté
Flawless
 
Join Date: 02-2017
Location: Ct.
Posts: 1,388
Thanks: 2,047
Thanked 1,715 Times in 822 Posts
Default

I thought the stories were very sweet , as well and the rocking chair is a wonderful keepsake that will always make her think of George 's thoughtfulness. I thought the shopping story , etc normalized him honestly. As for the single every one is free to like it or dislike it, no harm either way. The chart success- I really don't think there was talent there in that girl group, it was the look, the message, all about fun, appealed to young girls, but the dancing .. No, the singing, nothing special there.. There are plenty of popular acts that have nothing to do with talent . They came out at the right time . I can see talent when I don't like the music or when it's not there but you still enjoy a song.. They were friends but he stated she was about the publicity so no speculation there

Last edited by GMfan87'; 21st June 2017 at 00:48..
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GMfan87' For This Useful Post:
DeepBlueDee (21st June 2017)
  #38  
Old 21st June 2017, 00:09
Aggie Aggie est actuellement connecté
Flawless
 
Join Date: 01-2017
Location: Germany
Posts: 171
Thanks: 98
Thanked 464 Times in 134 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjayne View Post
Aggie, I really don't want to argue with someone as knowledgeable and fair-minded as you, but I'm struggling to get the point. I had no idea of who the Venga Boy's were/are so had to google - they appear to have had 2 UK no1 singles (for one week each time) in the 1990's! Are you seriously saying that is comparable with the Spice Girls (or even Geri Halliwell's solo hits?) Am I missing something? Every country's music industry throws up the odd novelty hit but few produce anything as commercially successful as the Spice Girls. Again, not my cup of tea - I own literally thousands of LPs and CD's and not a one by the Spice Girls (unless maybe on a compilation somewhere) but I can acknowledge talent in areas I don't personally appreciate.

Let me share one of her 'little old stories' I do find moving. I'm not too impressed George bought her a Merc, but the fact he bought her a rocking chair to nurse her baby in (and took her in for the second time - she doesn't say it in these interviews but she had a very public and painful falling out with the father of that child) strikes me as an enormously tender and thoughtful gift (which no straight man would have dreamt of getting btw!) Maybe I'm a sentimental old fool but I think Geri gets nothing out of sharing that story, which in fact relates to a very painful time in her life, but wittingly or unwittingly show his qualities. It's not he liked shopping and she liked presents; it's he knew how to give people what they needed and she felt cherished by that. I don't find that shallow.
Venga Boys are a dutch dance project that had almost ten top ten hits and two number one hits in the UK. Awful music, very succesfull in Europe, especially UK. That is why I used it as an example. Of course the SG were far bigger but still. Sorry for bringing that up and that you had to google them

Well, als far as Geri is concerned. She rubs me the wrong way and that example about that rocking chair is sweet the way you describe it and yes, George was obviously very generous ( a rocking chair is a rather common gift for first time mommys btw but still very sweet of him).

My point was ( and I hope it is not true), this friendship seemed onesided. George maybe liked it that way. Who knows. Maybe he prefered being the one caring about her and her problems. I am just not sure whether that is a healthy friendship. I don't even think that she knows that what she says and how she acts irritates people. I think it's just the way she is. To me it's the same with this charity project. It does not feel right somehow( I don't like the song but that is a different matter). It's just the whole thing, the promotion, the mixing of her own history with the George tribute.
The people I would like to hear talking, are rather silent. Maybe that documentary will be a more fitting tribute for me with more infos on his working habits in the studio. What his musicians found most interesting etc.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aggie For This Useful Post:
DeepBlueDee (21st June 2017)
  #39  
Old 21st June 2017, 00:22
ladyjayne ladyjayne est actuellement connecté
Flawless
 
Join Date: 03-2017
Location: uk
Posts: 1,123
Thanks: 1,038
Thanked 3,052 Times in 893 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie View Post
Venga Boys are a dutch dance project that had almost ten top ten hits and two number one hits in the UK. Awful music, very succesfull in Europe, especially UK. That is why I used it as an example. Of course the SG were far bigger but still. Sorry for bringing that up and that you had to google them

Well, als far as Geri is concerned. She rubs me the wrong way and that example about that rocking chair is sweet the way you describe it and yes, George was obviously very generous ( a rocking chair is a rather common gift for first time mommys btw but still very sweet of him).

My point was ( and I hope it is not true), this friendship seemed onesided. George maybe liked it that way. Who knows. Maybe he prefered being the one caring about her and her problems. I am just not sure whether that is a healthy friendship. I don't even think that she knows that what she says and how she acts irritates people. I think it's just the way she is. To me it's the same with this charity project. It does not feel right somehow( I don't like the song but that is a different matter). It's just the whole thing, the promotion, the mixing of her own history with the George tribute.
The people I would like to hear talking, are rather silent. Maybe that documentary will be a more fitting tribute for me with more infos on his working habits in the studio. What his musicians found most interesting etc.
Lol, don't apologise - you have added to my knowledge of European music, although I don't think I'll be investigating their back catalogue any time soon, given what you say!
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 21st June 2017, 00:49
GMfan87''s Avatar
GMfan87' GMfan87' est actuellement connecté
Flawless
 
Join Date: 02-2017
Location: Ct.
Posts: 1,388
Thanks: 2,047
Thanked 1,715 Times in 822 Posts
Default

I hear that " the people you'd like to hear talking " and then reports are Kate Moss is involved in the doc . Hope not too much as if you feel that way about Geri ...
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GMfan87' For This Useful Post:
DeepBlueDee (21st June 2017)
  #41  
Old 21st June 2017, 01:48
Parklife Parklife est déconnecté
Flawless
 
Join Date: 01-2015
Location: London
Posts: 874
Thanks: 455
Thanked 990 Times in 419 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie View Post
Looking at the Venga Boy's UK Chart history, I am not quite sure that chart success indicates real talent 🙂

As far as Geri's little old stories are concerned, don't find them flattering for both of them at all ( he bought me things, we went shopping, that fridge story, dressing her up). It sounds rather shallow. George was obviously very generous, always helping her out. Was it ever the other way round? Was she really a good friend or just one of the many oportunists? She is a rather controversial person, many people who dealt with her have expressed their views on her, which paint a rather negative picture. I do hope that she was a good friend to George.
What's the fridge story?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parklife For This Useful Post:
suvernscorpio (21st June 2017)
  #42  
Old 21st June 2017, 02:03
Parklife Parklife est déconnecté
Flawless
 
Join Date: 01-2015
Location: London
Posts: 874
Thanks: 455
Thanked 990 Times in 419 Posts
Default

I don't doubt her intention and I think she did care deeply for him. I've enjoyed hearing the stories many of which are really sweet and are all positive. I really hope the song does well for her since it's for charity. I don't really even mind it being self promotion as well PROVIDED the song did George justice. However, the song is not very good IMHO and I wish she'd taken more time to get it right rather than rushing it out for his birthday. It's an ok tune but given this was meant to be a tribute to George and was meant to be about her expressing her feelings for George it's lacking. I think the lyrical content is very weak and poor. I wanted something poignant to reflect on George but all it does is take a few of George's lyrics and some cliches (like the title) and that's it. There isn't a story or feelings expressed; actually most of it doesn't make much sense. It's very disappointing to me as she could have produced some powerful lyrics to make it special. Without that the song will be forgotten very quickly because the melody is fairly average too. The backing singers make it bearable. Just my opinion and great if others get something out of it! I personally felt nothing listening to it.
Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Parklife For This Useful Post:
DeepBlueDee (21st June 2017), Fortheloveofyou (21st June 2017), GMfan87' (21st June 2017), GMMegaFan (21st June 2017), GreekGirl (21st June 2017), maya (21st June 2017), Whamtastic (22nd June 2017)
  #43  
Old 21st June 2017, 02:26
DeepBlueDee's Avatar
DeepBlueDee DeepBlueDee est déconnecté
Flawless
 
Join Date: 03-2017
Location: NYC, USA
Posts: 175
Thanks: 667
Thanked 335 Times in 125 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfan87' View Post
I hear that " the people you'd like to hear talking " and then reports are Kate Moss is involved in the doc . Hope not too much as if you feel that way about Geri ...
I have to say I agree. I have been eagerly awaiting the upcoming documentary, which, it was my understanding, had large input(and I'm sure complete creative control, veto and edit power ) from George and the musicians who worked most closely with him over the years. The fact that everything I have seen in the press seems to show Kate Moss is all over this project, filming additional footage in his private living quarters, etc., does not make me happy. It was my understanding that the documentary was completed and George was just doing some final tweaking. I seriously doubt that would have included Kate Moss and a camera crew in his home. I'll still hold out hope that the focus is the man, the music, the legacy and the incredible philanthropic works he participated in.
__________________
"I had a picture in my soul
Some place warm where we could hang out when we’re old
Now it’s just where I hope you are..."
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeepBlueDee For This Useful Post:
GMfan87' (21st June 2017), GMMegaFan (21st June 2017), GMthx (27th June 2017)
  #44  
Old 21st June 2017, 02:36
ladyjayne ladyjayne est actuellement connecté
Flawless
 
Join Date: 03-2017
Location: uk
Posts: 1,123
Thanks: 1,038
Thanked 3,052 Times in 893 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepBlueDee View Post
I have to say I agree. I have been eagerly awaiting the upcoming documentary, which, it was my understanding, had large input(and I'm sure complete creative control, veto and edit power ) from George and the musicians who worked most closely with him over the years. The fact that everything I have seen in the press seems to show Kate Moss is all over this project, filming additional footage in his private living quarters, etc., does not make me happy. It was my understanding that the documentary was completed and George was just doing some final tweaking. I seriously doubt that would have included Kate Moss and a camera crew in his home. I'll still hold out hope that the focus is the man, the music, the legacy and the incredible philanthropic works he participated in.
I had understood that the project GM was working on was focussed on a specific point in his career - namely the making of LWP Vol 1 and the battle with Sony. I haven't really understood (if what he intended was basically finished and due to air in Feb 2017) why it was decided to shelve that in favour of a more general appraisal of his career or whatever has now taken till June 2017 to film and won't air until September. It sounds odd to me to tack on a 'bringing up to date' or overall appraisal of his career. As people rightly point out Kate Moss had nothing to do with the LWP era, even if she has input later on. I do question what David Austin is up to, as I assume he is influential in the project and probably GM's artistic executor. Difficult to judge until we see the finished project but I'm sorry we won't see the original.
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ladyjayne For This Useful Post:
DeepBlueDee (21st June 2017), GMfan87' (21st June 2017), GMthx (27th June 2017), Lilbit64 (22nd June 2017)
  #45  
Old 21st June 2017, 02:45
DeepBlueDee's Avatar
DeepBlueDee DeepBlueDee est déconnecté
Flawless
 
Join Date: 03-2017
Location: NYC, USA
Posts: 175
Thanks: 667
Thanked 335 Times in 125 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parklife View Post
It's very disappointing to me as she could have produced some powerful lyrics to make it special. Without that the song will be forgotten very quickly because the melody is fairly average too. The backing singers make it bearable. Just my opinion and great if others get something out of it! I personally felt nothing listening to it.
Agreed. George's backup singers are the only thing I liked about what I heard. Also, just my opinion, to each his own.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeepBlueDee For This Useful Post:
suvernscorpio (21st June 2017), yog_63 (21st June 2017)
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Custom Search


All times are GMT +3. The time now is 00:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

'George Michael Forums' is a non-commercial, private and unofficial fan site dedicated to George Michael and Wham!.
Content published on 'George Michael Forums' requires permission for reprint. No infringement of any copyright is intended.

Disclaimer | Impressum


Free Visitor Maps at VisitorMap.org
Get a FREE visitor map for your site!