George Michael Forums

Go Back   George Michael Forums > George Michael > News

Old 21st June 2017, 02:46
Parklife Parklife est déconnecté
Flawless

[quote=ladyjayne;981094

I'm sorry we won't see the original.[/QUOTE]

Me too. I'd hoped they would keep the original and tweak to reflect fact he had passed but then do a new one on his life! Would be a shame to scrap what they had done. Maybe the LWP one will now form part of the LWP remaster box set. That would be nice.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Parklife For This Useful Post:
DeepBlueDee (21st June 2017), GMfan87' (21st June 2017), yog_63 (21st June 2017)
Old 21st June 2017, 04:01
GMfan87' GMfan87' est actuellement connecté
Flawless

Thanked 1,715 Times in 822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parklife View Post
What's the fridge story?
Just a little story about Geri going to the fridge and GM joking with her that she was going on a binge ( eating )
Old 21st June 2017, 07:09
princess princess est déconnecté
Star People

Whilst I am happy that the proceeds of this song will go to charity I will also say that I don't like the
song and question the self promotion and comeback of Geri at this time and leading up to George's
birthday. She had tried for years after the Spice girls but never achieved much on her own.
For so many of us who are still grieving this is not what I would have expected and she does come off as
not totally sincere. It's all come about too quickly and I question both the comebacks of "Geri" and that
other 80's band 'Bananarama" who have put it out there that George would have wanted them to sing and
perform again.

"He was a huge part of our lives': Bananarama reveal the death of friend George Michael spurred them on to reunite as 'life's too bloody short' to miss the chance to tour"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...d-reunion.html

"Listen: Geri Horner releases comeback single inspired by friend George Michael"

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/06/20...eorge-michael/

I wish they would just leave George to RIP and not use his good name for self promotion...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to princess For This Useful Post:
DeepBlueDee (21st June 2017), Whamtastic (22nd June 2017)
Old 21st June 2017, 15:07
Flawless

I see your point, it's the business they are in . Bananarama made one comment ( that I know of ) and I highly doubt their friendship with GM would boost their tour , honestly. You'd either want to see them or not. I can't imagine there would be much interest , in the US they only had three hits that I can recall and faded away like many 80's pop groups. As for Geri , what she's done so far is okay in my book but if she continues talking it becomes more about her . Not impressed with the song and the GM references sound cliche ( as I believe GMmegafan said )
Old 21st June 2017, 16:00
GreekGirl GreekGirl est actuellement connecté
Flawless

I really hope that David and company get the documentary right. If it was essentially completed prior to George's passing, my opinion is that it should air in its original form, with the second part -- produced posthumously-- airing afterwards, clearly distinct from the portion that George was so greatly involved in producing. Since the documentary may in fact be the last artistic project of George's that may ever be released, those involved owe it to him (and to his artistic legacy) to keep it identical to what George himself wanted it to be.

Has anyone seen a series produced by PBS in the United States called "American Masters"? Within the last couple of years, they have put together outstanding documentaries about the lives of Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin, as well as others. They are absolutely superb, and tell the stories of the lives of these one-of-a-kind artists with intelligence, compassion, and respect (and with warts and all). The documentary about Janis Joplin is simply heartbreaking. At some point, I would like to see a documentary of this calibre regarding the life and work of George.

Is it true that some of George's most famous memorabilia is going up for auction? Did someone here post that the Faith jacket will be one of the items offered for sale? Hearing this, if true, bothers me. It makes me wonder what the family and others are thinking regarding George's longterm legacy. To me, it seems rather short-sighted to be selling these items at this early date, unless George himself left instructions to do so. I would have preferred it if the family kept these artifacts so that, someday in the future, a museum, exhibit, etc. could have properly commemorated his contributions to popular culture, complete with the Faith jacket and other significant memorabilia.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GreekGirl For This Useful Post:
GMfan87' (21st June 2017), GMMegaFan (21st June 2017), Nanabug (21st June 2017), snoopy (22nd June 2017)
Old 21st June 2017, 17:01
GMMegaFan GMMegaFan est déconnecté
Flawless

Thanked 2,304 Times in 706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGirl View Post
I really hope that David and company get the documentary right. If it was essentially completed prior to George's passing, my opinion is that it should air in its original form, with the second part -- produced posthumously-- airing afterwards, clearly distinct from the portion that George was so greatly involved in producing. Since the documentary may in fact be the last artistic project of George's that may ever be released, those involved owe it to him (and to his artistic legacy) to keep it identical to what George himself wanted it to be.

Is it true that some of George's most famous memorabilia is going up for auction? Did someone here post that the Faith jacket will be one of the items offered for sale? Hearing this, if true, bothers me. It makes me wonder what the family and others are thinking regarding George's longterm legacy. To me, it seems rather short-sighted to be selling these items at this early date, unless George himself left instructions to do so. I would have preferred it if the family kept these artifacts so that, someday in the future, a museum, exhibit, etc. could have properly commemorated his contributions to popular culture, complete with the Faith jacket and other significant memorabilia.
Agree about the documentary being kept as true to the original that George worked on as possible. The reports after he passed away said a photo agency was tipped off about shooting for the documentary in Goring during the Christmas period. So some work must have been left. According to some reports they are going to add Kate Moss's tour of the Highgate home, tributes from prominent figures in the music industry and footage from his last Symphonica concerts. I hope in adding all that they do not ruin the original work done by GM. They are billing it as the definitive tribute to George and his life.

The original press release for the documentary by C4 said "Executive Produced by David Austin, with BAFTA nominee Phillip Smith directing and produced by Steven Lappin." Current reports which might be factually wrong are saying David Austin is the Director. Have things changed now and the other Director is not in the picture?

The BBC does a great job with interviews and documentaries. I hope they do a proper one for GM in the future. I am also surprised that instead of preserving some of these iconic clothes and items for a future permanent exhibition, it is being put up for auction so soon. Or is there more than one Faith jacket?
http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrit...s-set-10601752
The Following User Says Thank You to GMMegaFan For This Useful Post:
GreekGirl (21st June 2017)
Old 21st June 2017, 18:18
ladyjayne ladyjayne est actuellement connecté
Flawless

Thanked 3,053 Times in 893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMegaFan View Post
Agree about the documentary being kept as true to the original that George worked on as possible. The reports after he passed away said a photo agency was tipped off about shooting for the documentary in Goring during the Christmas period. So some work must have been left. According to some reports they are going to add Kate Moss's tour of the Highgate home, tributes from prominent figures in the music industry and footage from his last Symphonica concerts. I hope in adding all that they do not ruin the original work done by GM. They are billing it as the definitive tribute to George and his life.

The original press release for the documentary by C4 said "Executive Produced by David Austin, with BAFTA nominee Phillip Smith directing and produced by Steven Lappin." Current reports which might be factually wrong are saying David Austin is the Director. Have things changed now and the other Director is not in the picture?

The BBC does a great job with interviews and documentaries. I hope they do a proper one for GM in the future. I am also surprised that instead of preserving some of these iconic clothes and items for a future permanent exhibition, it is being put up for auction so soon. Or is there more than one Faith jacket?
http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrit...s-set-10601752
I'm pretty sure there were a lot of Faith jackets some of which were auctioned during GMs lifetime. The items up at Bonham's the other week were already owned by a private collector so nothing to do with the family

Last edited by ladyjayne; 21st June 2017 at 22:22..
The Following User Says Thank You to ladyjayne For This Useful Post:
GreekGirl (21st June 2017)
Old 21st June 2017, 19:16
bobbiejo bobbiejo est actuellement connecté
Star People

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfan87' View Post
I see your point, it's the business they are in . Bananarama made one comment ( that I know of ) and I highly doubt their friendship with GM would boost their tour , honestly. You'd either want to see them or not. I can't imagine there would be much interest , in the US they only had three hits that I can recall and faded away like many 80's pop groups. As for Geri , what she's done so far is okay in my book but if she continues talking it becomes more about her . Not impressed with the song and the GM references sound cliche ( as I believe GMmegafan said )
Banarama was much more popular in the UK than the US. Their UK tour is doing well. I saw a recent video of them and they looked and sounded great.

I agree with you about Geri. Frankly, I can not comprehend all the negativity. It's a waste of time and energy.

After a time, we might see more tribute songs to George. Elton John recorded "Empty Garden" about a year and a half after John Lennon's death. I just watched a youtube video of Elton in concert singing that song at his Madison Square Garden concert. It brought tears to my eyes. RIP John, George H, and George M.
The Following User Says Thank You to bobbiejo For This Useful Post:
GMfan87' (21st June 2017)
Old 21st June 2017, 19:21
Kitty Purry Kitty Purry est déconnecté
Flawless

I feel George took the opportunity to take Geri in when she was very pregnant so he could do a "test run" of the family dynamic. Mom and baby and then G and K as surrogate fathers...
Could this be when George decided family and children weren't for him? He enjoyed the short term experience immensely Im sure, but decided that the long term gig of fatherhood wasn't his thing.
Old 21st June 2017, 20:09
Guinness Guinness est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie View Post
I don't think people make false assumptions when they say they don't like the song and the way she is promoting it/ herself and how little the charity realistically will profit from it.
I am not referring to that. True that everyone has an oppinion. Which can be positive or negative. However, I was referring to the last sentence of GMMegafan. (See the quote above my first reply that lead to this hot and happening discussion. (" and what has Geri done for George? "; I cannot go back while making this response, but it is like that. The assumptions that this last sentence provoked. That's what I was responding to.
Okayyyyyy..... I am stepping out of this discussion. Maybe I should have been more clear concerning the sentence I referred to.

xxxxx Guinness
Old 21st June 2017, 20:25
Guinness Guinness est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty Purry View Post
I feel George took the opportunity to take Geri in when she was very pregnant so he could do a "test run" of the family dynamic. Mom and baby and then G and K as surrogate fathers...
Could this be when George decided family and children weren't for him? He enjoyed the short term experience immensely Im sure, but decided that the long term gig of fatherhood wasn't his thing.
I must say this can be true! assuming :
When you still have an option to choose your own free time alone, than this is a huge advantage in life. Especially when you are in the midst of crazy jumping kids, on a hot evening, with dishes piling up waiting for you after having brought the kids to bath, bookie reading and bed. Hm .... the kids here rule the agenda, hubby and I are head of the day planning . Hardly any free time but instead remarkable, goods times usually. George could use the advantages of both sides (taking care of kids, and free time). Be in control of his own agenda. This could make me jealous though.

xxxxx Guinness
The Following User Says Thank You to Guinness For This Useful Post:
Kitty Purry (21st June 2017)
Old 21st June 2017, 21:09
LYDIA LYDIA est déconnecté
PreBoxRemix
Zookeeper Champion, Pipes Champion

Thanked 14,286 Times in 5,477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGirl View Post
...Has anyone seen a series produced by PBS in the United States called "American Masters"? Within the last couple of years, they have put together outstanding documentaries about the lives of Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin, as well as others. They are absolutely superb, and tell the stories of the lives of these one-of-a-kind artists with intelligence, compassion, and respect (and with warts and all). The documentary about Janis Joplin is simply heartbreaking. At some point, I would like to see a documentary of this calibre regarding the life and work of George....
american masters has been going for years and years. many fascinating and unexpected people have been featured on the program. I love it!

as for the song.......I don't like or dislike it. I appreciate the concept and loved hearing the back up vocals. also, sounds like country music to me rather than soulful.

PhoenixDallasHouston
...nothing was further from my mind
than this moment with you...
Old 21st June 2017, 21:39
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYDIA View Post
american masters has been going for years and years. many fascinating and unexpected people have been featured on the program. I love it!

as for the song.......I don't like or dislike it. I appreciate the concept and loved hearing the back up vocals. also, sounds like country music to me rather than soulful.
I'm of the same feeling about it. Now that you say that it is a country vibe mixed w/ a gospel sound.
The Following User Says Thank You to GMfan87' For This Useful Post:
ladyjayne (21st June 2017)
Old 21st June 2017, 23:09
qp65 qp65 est déconnecté
Flawless

The video is very good, which made me a bit emotional again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmT2aSEayWQ
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to qp65 For This Useful Post:
bettyblue (24th June 2017), KojiTaku (23rd June 2017), ladyjayne (21st June 2017), Nanabug (22nd June 2017), Ozfan (23rd June 2017), VigilanteMovie (22nd June 2017)
Old 21st June 2017, 23:40
heights91 heights91 est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfan87' View Post
Just a little story about Geri going to the fridge and GM joking with her that she was going on a binge ( eating )
Snarkey George. So funny. Here's the line...he's going over.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heights91 For This Useful Post:
ladyjayne (21st June 2017), Lilbit64 (22nd June 2017)