George Michael Forums

Go Back   George Michael Forums > George Michael > News


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 22nd June 2017, 01:33
Heidi1 Heidi1 est déconnecté
Star People
 
Join Date: 02-2017
Location: Surrey, England
Posts: 58
Thanks: 334
Thanked 81 Times in 25 Posts
Default George Michael CBE?

I was just reading George Michael's write up on Wikipedia and noticed that he was titled George Michael CBE!

I'm sure that when I read it earlier this year he wasn't honoured with this/any award by the Queen though. Perhaps it was a mistake (if that's possible), but I never knew he was one.

I always thought it was a disgrace he hadn't been recognised in this way. Especially how so many less important celebrities have been nowadays!

I feel that it is likely that George would have had more respect for himself if he had, maybe?

Last edited by Heidi1; 22nd June 2017 at 02:37..
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heidi1 For This Useful Post:
suvernscorpio (22nd June 2017), whamhamster (22nd June 2017)
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 22nd June 2017, 22:41
Guinness Guinness est déconnecté
Flawless
 
Join Date: 03-2017
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 184
Thanks: 156
Thanked 161 Times in 95 Posts
Default

George should have received the title of Sir. Definitely. Maybe that is still possible.
Concerning the last sentence of your statement, I don't share the same opinion. George gave me the impression he was very self assured. Especially in music.

xxxx Guinness
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 22nd June 2017, 22:53
megancat megancat est déconnecté
Young Gun
 
Join Date: 06-2017
Location: US
Posts: 19
Thanks: 39
Thanked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Maybe he would have turned it down, like Bowie.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 22nd June 2017, 22:55
ladyjayne ladyjayne est actuellement connecté
Flawless
 
Join Date: 03-2017
Location: uk
Posts: 1,123
Thanks: 1,037
Thanked 3,052 Times in 893 Posts
Default

Just because Wiki says something doesn't make it true!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ladyjayne For This Useful Post:
KojiTaku (23rd June 2017)
  #5  
Old 22nd June 2017, 23:06
GMfan87''s Avatar
GMfan87' GMfan87' est actuellement connecté
Flawless
 
Join Date: 02-2017
Location: Ct.
Posts: 1,388
Thanks: 2,047
Thanked 1,715 Times in 822 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
George should have received the title of Sir. Definitely. Maybe that is still possible.
Concerning the last sentence of your statement, I don't share the same opinion. George gave me the impression he was very self assured. Especially in music.

xxxx Guinness
He certainly was in his talent but not in himself I'd say. He came across like he was, especially in earlier days but when you hear of how he was living, self destructive streak, and his low esteem.. sadly not an assured person.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 23rd June 2017, 00:03
EmilyPost's Avatar
EmilyPost EmilyPost est déconnecté
#######
 
Join Date: 03-2005
Location: USA
Posts: 18,333
Thanks: 9,761
Thanked 25,981 Times in 7,383 Posts
Default

Someone should submit an edit to Wikipedia to correct this.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 18th July 2017, 22:54
Bobby101 Bobby101 est déconnecté
Star People
 
Join Date: 02-2017
Location: London
Posts: 46
Thanks: 34
Thanked 112 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Not sure George would have accepted and definitely his history with Diana meant he would never be recognised by the Royal family.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 18th July 2017, 22:57
ladyjayne ladyjayne est actuellement connecté
Flawless
 
Join Date: 03-2017
Location: uk
Posts: 1,123
Thanks: 1,037
Thanked 3,052 Times in 893 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby101 View Post
Not sure George would have accepted and definitely his history with Diana meant he would never be recognised by the Royal family.
The Queen makes appointments on the advice of her Government - I'm pretty sure she has approved many honours to people she doesn't personally approve of! The reality is George had served a prison sentence which was the real impediment to an honour.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ladyjayne For This Useful Post:
GMthx (19th July 2017)
  #9  
Old 18th July 2017, 23:13
Bobby101 Bobby101 est déconnecté
Star People
 
Join Date: 02-2017
Location: London
Posts: 46
Thanks: 34
Thanked 112 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Georges contribution to British music was huge and made globally long before he was ever arrested or before things went really down hill for him. He really should have been honoured by the end of the 90's or 00's considering his service. I think the Diana relationship stood in the way. Or he may well have been sounded out privately and said he wasn't interested given the information he was privy too from Diana.

Up until to the date of his prison sentencing. Its almost unheard of someone in his position to have not been honoured considering his achievements.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobby101 For This Useful Post:
bettyblue (19th August 2017)
  #10  
Old 19th July 2017, 04:57
GMthx GMthx est déconnecté
Flawless
 
Join Date: 02-2017
Location: Across the pond
Posts: 265
Thanks: 618
Thanked 420 Times in 156 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby101 View Post
Georges contribution to British music was huge and made globally long before he was ever arrested or before things went really down hill for him. He really should have been honoured by the end of the 90's or 00's considering his service. I think the Diana relationship stood in the way. Or he may well have been sounded out privately and said he wasn't interested given the information he was privy too from Diana.

Up until to the date of his prison sentencing. Its almost unheard of someone in his position to have not been honoured considering his achievements.
I think this is one area where his body of work may have indeed been overshadowed by his antics. I don't see how he'd make it past even the shortlist. Maybe if he recovered, stayed out of trouble and let his comeback/work take centre stage it would have come a few years from now. But we will never know.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GMthx For This Useful Post:
bobbiejo (19th July 2017)
  #11  
Old 25th July 2017, 03:18
isilweth isilweth est actuellement connecté
Young Gun
 
Join Date: 01-2017
Location: United States
Posts: 20
Thanks: 410
Thanked 94 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjayne View Post
The Queen makes appointments on the advice of her Government - I'm pretty sure she has approved many honours to people she doesn't personally approve of! The reality is George had served a prison sentence which was the real impediment to an honour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby101 View Post
Georges contribution to British music was huge and made globally long before he was ever arrested or before things went really down hill for him. He really should have been honoured by the end of the 90's or 00's considering his service. I think the Diana relationship stood in the way. Or he may well have been sounded out privately and said he wasn't interested given the information he was privy too from Diana.

Up until to the date of his prison sentencing. Its almost unheard of someone in his position to have not been honoured considering his achievements.
I am also baffled as to why George did not receive an appointment post-Older. Adele is an MBE. Her achievements seem to be similar to George's at the same age. Was the political climate surrounding appointments significantly different in the late-eighties to mid-nineties? Would George's case against Sony, or his living part-time in the US been a contributing factor?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to isilweth For This Useful Post:
bettyblue (25th July 2017)
  #12  
Old 19th August 2017, 00:10
bettyblue's Avatar
bettyblue bettyblue est actuellement connecté
Flawless
 
Join Date: 02-2017
Location: Venice, Italy
Posts: 797
Thanks: 1,191
Thanked 1,990 Times in 658 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by isilweth View Post
I am also baffled as to why George did not receive an appointment post-Older. Adele is an MBE. Her achievements seem to be similar to George's at the same age. Was the political climate surrounding appointments significantly different in the late-eighties to mid-nineties? Would George's case against Sony, or his living part-time in the US been a contributing factor?
Dear isilweth, I share your bafflement. It's interesting to notice that SNB seemed to share it, too, back then in 2001, in a not so veiled form.

Excerpts from Simon Napier-Bell's book "Black Vinyl White Powder" (2001):

- taken from the Foreword (pages X-XI of the paperback edition):
"In fact in the British music business gay culture seemed to have played the same creative role as black culture had in the American music business. Examples of this were to be found everywhere (...) and in the Nineties with Elton John and George Michael receiving very different rewards for having made one of the world's best-selling charity records together - for Elton, a knighthood - for George, arrest by the Los Angeles police".

- taken from Chapter 27 (page 418 of the paperback edition):
"Like everyone who profits from the music buiness, I have to accept that I'm profiting from an industry inexorably intertwined with the promotion of recreational drugs of all sorts. For many people, doing the right ones with the right people at the right time has led to a fortune or even being knighted. Sir Elton John openly admits to twenty years of drug-taking and he made his way to a knighthood. Sir Paul McCartney owns up to having used all manners of drugs and has been busted and jailed on several occasions. And if Sir Elton and Sir Paul represent the 'acceptable' face of the industry, what about the others?".
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 19th August 2017, 00:34
ladyjayne ladyjayne est actuellement connecté
Flawless
 
Join Date: 03-2017
Location: uk
Posts: 1,123
Thanks: 1,037
Thanked 3,052 Times in 893 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyblue View Post
Dear isilweth, I share your bafflement. It's interesting to notice that SNB seemed to share it, too, back then in 2001, in a not so veiled form.

Excerpts from Simon Napier-Bell's book "Black Vinyl White Powder" (2001):

- taken from the Foreword (pages X-XI of the paperback edition):
"In fact in the British music business gay culture seemed to have played the same creative role as black culture had in the American music business. Examples of this were to be found everywhere (...) and in the Nineties with Elton John and George Michael receiving very different rewards for having made one of the world's best-selling charity records together - for Elton, a knighthood - for George, arrest by the Los Angeles police".

- taken from Chapter 27 (page 418 of the paperback edition):
"Like everyone who profits from the music buiness, I have to accept that I'm profiting from an industry inexorably intertwined with the promotion of recreational drugs of all sorts. For many people, doing the right ones with the right people at the right time has led to a fortune or even being knighted. Sir Elton John openly admits to twenty years of drug-taking and he made his way to a knighthood. Sir Paul McCartney owns up to having used all manners of drugs and has been busted and jailed on several occasions. And if Sir Elton and Sir Paul represent the 'acceptable' face of the industry, what about the others?".
I think the underlined is just plain wrong. So far as I'm aware McCartney has never served a sentence for drug offences (or any other) [I don't think he's ever been convicted by an English court at all]. He was held by Japanese customs for some days for smuggling a small amount of dope but never charged. Elton may bang on about his drug use but has no convictions. The bottom line is that prison sentence plus honours are a no-no over here. Mick Jagger was knighted and did serve a [very short] sentence in the 60's but got out on appeal. It may seem unfair but I think that is a dividing line. Also, one has to bear in mind it wasn't drug possession or use per se that George was sentenced for - it was for driving under the influence of them - regarded by many as much more serious because of the potential consequences to others. Much as I have sympathy for George, there is a world of difference between getting stoned in the privacy of your own home and insisting on repeatedly marauding round town in your vehicle while in that state. I have to suspect, in any event, that GM may well have refused any honours even if offered. I suspect it was not part of the system he agreed with (and maybe he was right)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Custom Search


All times are GMT +3. The time now is 00:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

'George Michael Forums' is a non-commercial, private and unofficial fan site dedicated to George Michael and Wham!.
Content published on 'George Michael Forums' requires permission for reprint. No infringement of any copyright is intended.

Disclaimer | Impressum


Free Visitor Maps at VisitorMap.org
Get a FREE visitor map for your site!