George Michael Forums

Go Back   George Michael Forums > George Michael > General Discussion

Old 19th October 2016, 17:26
cowboysandangels cowboysandangels est déconnecté

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parklife View Post
Interesting you say this as there are so many interviews where he has specifically said that he did respect his songwriting gift and the main focus behind him stepping back after Faith was to protect that gift. I genuinely think he believed that and took actions in order to protect it for many years (some of which weren't necessarily beneficial to his career). I just think events took over and things happened (some tragic, some self inflicted) that simply meant that gift just wasn't as important to him as it once was. Life happens! There was a time where i only thought about work and moving up the ladder; i have other priorities now!
Events can and do take over for sure... but not many people have the kind of gift George has (or at least had). You'd hope that would've been more of a deterrent against his increasingly-errant ways over the later years. Always hard to judge of course as we're not in his shoes. In any case it's a real shame. Anyhow, as ever, let's hope he gets better soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to cowboysandangels For This Useful Post:
Parklife (19th October 2016)
Old 19th October 2016, 19:20
SonyPaysMe SonyPaysMe est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelfish View Post
A lot of medications cause weight gain.
This is probably the reason.

I said on here a long time ago now when the last photos appeared of him looking bloated in Switzerland, that I believe he was at that clinic being treated for anxiety and not addiction to weed as a lot of other people (and the press) thought. I have a friend who has been treated for terrible anxiety for God knows how many years now, the doctors put him on some kind of steroids about 2 years ago and his weight ballooned, I saw him recently and he looks even bigger than George in these new photos. This to me is not bad news, it means George is dealing with his problems and getting treatment, and there is a chance that one day in the future he can get back to being himself again.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SonyPaysMe For This Useful Post:
Angelfish (19th October 2016), cowboysandangels (19th October 2016), Kiri (21st October 2016), Parklife (19th October 2016)
Old 19th October 2016, 19:27
HSL HSL est déconnecté

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyPaysMe View Post
This is probably the reason.

I said on here a long time ago now when the last photos appeared of him looking bloated in Switzerland, that I believe he was at that clinic being treated for anxiety and not addiction to weed as a lot of other people (and the press) thought. I have a friend who has been treated for terrible anxiety for God knows how many years now, the doctors put him on some kind of steroids about 2 years ago and his weight ballooned, I saw him recently and he looks even bigger than George in these new photos. This to me is not bad news, it means George is dealing with his problems and getting treatment, and there is a chance that one day in the future he can get back to being himself again.
So Andros, are you saying the treatment (drugs ?) makes you hungry and therefore you eat more ?
Old 19th October 2016, 19:29

Eating more isn't the only way weight can be gained. Many medicines impact the nature of metabolism, the rate at which food is digested or absorbed, the rate at which fat is stored in the body, or water retained etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cowboysandangels For This Useful Post:
Angelfish (19th October 2016), SonyPaysMe (19th October 2016)
Old 19th October 2016, 19:35
HSL HSL est déconnecté

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysandangels View Post
Eating more isn't the only way weight can be gained. Many medicines impact the nature of metabolism, the rate at which food is digested or absorbed, the rate at which fat is stored in the body, or water retained etc.
So are you saying you could be eating the same thing everyday and doing the same amount of exercise but when you start taking the drugs you gain weight ? (all things remaining equal).

That is not logical to me. Personally I think some people comfort eat to deal with mental pressure like some sort of release.
Old 19th October 2016, 20:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSL View Post
So are you saying you could be eating the same thing everyday and doing the same amount of exercise but when you start taking the drugs you gain weight ? (all things remaining equal).
Absolutely. Lots of drugs have undesirable side-effects, weight-gain is just one of many.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cowboysandangels For This Useful Post:
Angelfish (19th October 2016), SonyPaysMe (19th October 2016)
Old 19th October 2016, 20:08
SonyPaysMe SonyPaysMe est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
So Andros, are you saying the treatment (drugs ?) makes you hungry and therefore you eat more ?
You obviously missed the bit where I said my friend had been treated for anxiety for years but only when he was put on steroids about 2 years ago his weight ballooned. You obviously missed that part.

And my name is not Andros, if only my own name was so...exotic.
Old 19th October 2016, 20:26
HSL HSL est déconnecté

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyPaysMe View Post
You obviously missed the bit where I said my friend had been treated for anxiety for years but only when he was put on steroids about 2 years ago his weight ballooned. You obviously missed that part.

And my name is not Andros, if only my own name was so...exotic.
Thanks for the clarification Andros.
Old 19th October 2016, 21:06
Angelfish Angelfish est déconnecté
Flawless

If you just google what medications cause severe weight gain the first things you get are antidepressants and mood stabilizers. These can be used together for anything from anxiety to OCD to schizophrenia and are often given also to patients who just aren't responding to antidepressants alone.

Mood stabilizers, also referred to as antipsychotics can cause huge weight gain, at least some weight gain is guaranteed. They cause binge eating, for one thing. Although I don't think all of the reasons are understood. They make you tired and sluggish too, I believe, I'm sure that doesn't help. I stumbled across a poem someone wrote about their experience with those years ago. Antidepressants will cause at least 15-20 lbs and more over time.

If these are what he's on, it could very well explain it. I've personally known two men in their early twenties who gained a lot of weight on these combinations. By a lot I mean like 50-100 lbs.

I haven't known anyone taking steroids for anxiety. I didn't know that was used to treat it. But they commonly cause it as well.

Problem with all of these meds is that losing the weight while still on them is extremely hard, from what I understand.

(I also figured that anxiety was the root of his 'rehab' in at least as much as weed is more a psychological dependency and he was probably using it to self medicate for anxiety. With all the side effects of Rx meds, it's actually hard to say if that's any worse, IMO. But whatever works is best.)
Old 19th October 2016, 21:51
Angelfish Angelfish est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:

That is not logical to me. Personally I think some people comfort eat to deal with mental pressure like some sort of release.
Everyone I've known to take an antidepressant, and that's a lot of people, have gained at least twenty pounds.
Given that these have been family members, friends and co workers, I heard their woes often... And actually I know many of them were constantly dieting and exercising (more than they normally would've been) while on them, without much result.

I think they might change the way your metabolism responds. Dunno.
Old 20th October 2016, 00:25
WhamMan WhamMan est déconnecté

Anti-depressants don't always cause you to put weight on. Mine don't. In fact I've lost about 10lbs.

And the same drug may have one side-effect on one person, another effect on a different person and no side effect on another.

You can generalise but can not be certain about what is causing George's weight gain.

Indeed it may be the fact he's stopped taking illegal drugs and that he's turned to food instead. It could be a health condition like thyroid imbalance. Or maybe he's just eaten too much and is a bit of a bloater currently. Personally I doubt it's just a dodgy or altered photo.

All I know is that George has mental health issues (and always will - you just learn to control it). And he has well documented drug issues including the use of crack cocaine.

He might have long term health issues from the pneumonia or 'falling out' of a car.
Old 20th October 2016, 00:30
HSL HSL est déconnecté

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamMan View Post
Anti-depressants don't always cause you to put weight on. Mine don't. In fact I've lost about 10lbs..
Why do you need to take those? What would happen if you didn't?
The Following User Says Thank You to HSL For This Useful Post:
mariasiv (20th October 2016)
Old 20th October 2016, 00:50
WhamMan WhamMan est déconnecté

I take them so I don't feel depressed! If I don't take them I'd feel depressed! But I think you can work that out for yourself. Possibly what you mean is you don't really know what depression is?

I could try and describe it to you but again, everyone's a bit different and to be honest I'm loathe to talk about it too much when I'm feeling okay.

Any reputable health site will make a good job of explaining it. Try the good old NHS:

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Depress...roduction.aspx

And maybe try the NHS test:

http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/depression.aspx
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WhamMan For This Useful Post:
HSL (20th October 2016), Lisbeth (4th January 2017), mariasiv (20th October 2016), Parklife (20th October 2016)
Old 20th October 2016, 00:58
mariasiv mariasiv est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
Why do you need to take those? What would happen if you didn't?
I know my meds for asthma caused weight gain. And several anti depressants can cause actually cause weight loss but many cause weight gain due to the changes in mood, metabolism, and many, many other factors. I worked in this area for years and saw all kinds of weight gain, weight loss... also Neurological conditions sometimes have meds that cause weight gain going on the drugs or off. I do know you can exercise and eat the same but if the medication slows your metabolic rate you can gain weight. I struggled for a year to loss weight after a medical condition. But it is true some meds don't cause weight gain if you watch your eating, exercise and sleep. Others do no matter what people try. Also, Anytime depression occurs it is harder to do daily activities for many people. As for the pics, too many things to speculate for me.... more relieved to see him than worried though...
Old 20th October 2016, 00:59
mariasiv mariasiv est déconnecté
Flawless

Sorry though I was referring to the weight loss comment.